Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man. The Conclusion

1
1 Comment 1
851 Views 851
1.3k words 1.3k words
It was less than a month later that the trial of Stiles was scheduled to commence. He had been allowed to telegraph Miles Kilgore to request his assistance in finding a lawyer. Mr. Kilgore used his considerable influence to postpone the trail until one could be located.

He would also break his long-standing rule about public appearances and would be there to testify

The appointed day finally arrived. The visiting circuit court judge would hear the case, and the town dignitaries would be the jury. The room was packed full of people, and the sidewalk was jammed with those that arrived too late to get a seat inside.

Stiles had been charged with kidnapping and attempted murder for the shooting of the Sheriff and the Deputies. His attorney argued that his client only shot to wound and stop the lawmen from preventing his escape. The prosecutor argued that Styles shot the lawmen so he could kidnap Miss Holly.

Numerous patrons of the Cactus Flower that witnessed the first incident between Styles and Holly were sworn in and questioned. Styles sat there dumbfounded while staring at Carpenter and Holly sitting near a window and allowing themselves to be bathed in the streaming sunlight.

The incident outside the Cactus Flower where he had slashed his chest was brought up. Once again the attorney argued that the only one injured was Styles. The fact that he held the Sheriff at bay with a pocket pistol was mentioned. His attorney argued that no shots were fired, and the prosecutor countered that the threat was present if the Sheriff had moved.

Miles Kilgore was finally called to the stand. He related the story about his son and daughter's death and how he and Styles hunted down the ones that killed them. In a voice choked with emotion, he went on to tell the jury of having to destroy his own children who had become inhuman monsters that lived beyond the grave.

Finally, Stiles was called to the stand. He informed the jury that his life's goal was the elimination of the inhuman monsters called vampires or Nosferatu. He pointed out their weaknesses and how he was able to detect them.

The prosecutor asked him to explain how Miss Holly did not burst into flames when the sunlight struck her skin. Styles did not have an answer. The prosecutor then approached Miss Holly and extracted a large silver crucifix from his pocket. He asked Holly to extend her hand and then touched his to her flesh.

Once again nothing happened. The prosecutor then asked him to explain why there was no reaction when the cross touched her flesh. Again he had no real answer. The proceedings were interrupted by the messenger boy from the telegraph office. He handed the telegraph to the judge who read it and passed it to the mayor.

"We are going to postpone the proceeding for a day or two. We have a witness heading our way by train that will offer further testimony to the charges," the mayor stated and adjourned the court.

Styles was returned to the jail, and Carpenter and Holly headed home. Once there they refreshed themselves from the stash of steers blood. Both of them marveled at the results of the formula that the Monk had given them as they did not feel the need to feed all day.

Carpenter occasionally wept at all the years he had avoided the sunlight. He was still convinced that one day he would burst into flames. Holly did her best to console him. 

Two days later Holly and Carpenter were told that the trial would resume on Thursday at 9:00 AM. The newest witness had finally arrived. She was a woman from a town further East and had dealings with Styles a few years ago.

She told the jury how he had harassed and finally killed her fiancée Tom Spears because Stiles believed him to be in league with a vampire or possibly a vampire himself. She tearfully told the jury of finding him with a stake in the middle of his chest.

Styles lawyer then questioned the woman.

"My client says that he found your fiancée coming out of the cemetery numerous times."

"Yes, his Father was the grounds keeper and helped out by digging graves. When he needed quiet and solitude, he went there," she answered

"Why is it that he never said anything to defend his actions?"

"Because he was a mute," she responded with tears in her eyes.

The prosecution rested. It took the jury less than an hour to deliver a guilty verdict. Stiles was sentenced to be hanged for kidnapping Miss Holly, the attempted murder the Sheriff and the murder of Tom Spears.

Stiles yelled and screamed as they led him back to his jail cell, "She's a vampire, and her man is her protector," he repeated.

Miles Kilgore slunk out of town unseen and boarded his private train.

One week later Stiles was led to the gallows. The Sheriff and the hangman were on the platform as were Holly and Carpenter. They had requested permission to be there and it was granted. Then a strange thing happened, both the Sheriff and the hangman felt the need to face the crowd.

As soon as they turned away, Carpenter and Holly approached, and Stiles stared at them. In the blink of an eye, they showed their fangs and red-rimmed eyes to Stiles.

"This time you were right, we are both vampires," Carpenter hissed.

"You will never hurt an innocent person again," Holly added.

Styles began to yell and scream for the crowd to look. When the crowd looked at Holly and Carpenter again, they had their normal faces. Stiles was gagged before the hood was placed over his head. The hangman threw the lever and the life of Stiles, Vampire Hunter was over.

Carpenter and Holly remained in the town Springwood for many years. They employed theatrical makeup to give the appearance that were aging along with their friends. Finally in 1864, the territory became the state of Nevada and Carpenter decided it was time to move along..

One evening, a terrible explosion rocked the countryside and the ranch house burst into flames. By the time the fire brigade arrived all they could do little more than watch it burn.

They found an iron box among the ashes and two skeletons that had to be Carpenter and Holly. The paperwork in the box was Carpenters last will and testament. It gave the ranch, all its property and control of the money he had in the local bank to his ramrod Johnny Marcus.

Marcus rebuilt the ranch house and moved his family in. The ranch continued to prosper for many years.

Several months later, the mayor of a small town outside of London sat examining the paperwork that had been placed on his desk. He summoned the town historian who went over the document with a magnifying glass and then nodded to the mayor.
"It is authentic," he said.

The mayor rose and escorted the couple that had been sitting in the waiting room into his office.They shook the hands of the man that presented the document to him yesterday.

"So you are the seven times great grandson of King Di Cordey. The castle is still standing and in good repair as your ancestors left money to maintain it." The mayor went to a large safe in the corner and withdrew a bundle of keys.

"These will open the gates and most of the rooms in the castle. I didn't catch your name," the mayor stated holding out his hand.

"Call me Carpenter and this is my wife, Holly."

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments