Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Amber Part 29

5
4 Comments 4
1.4k Views 1.4k
1.3k words 1.3k words
Amber pulled out her cellphone and tapped the number one key. The silence in World History class was broken by the wail of a police siren, while his cellphone vibrated. Bruce didn't need to look at the screen, he just stood up and announced to the teacher he had to leave.

He headed to Amber's class and she was standing at the doorway leaning on Barbie's shoulder. She gave Bruce a hug upon his arrival and together they slowly headed to the main entrance. He reminded her to keep track of her contractions, as he ran across the snow covered lot to get his car.

As soon as Amber was in the passenger seat, Bruce began the notification process. He called her doctor and informed her answering service that Amber's water had broken and that she was heading to the hospital. He then called her parents cellphones and left voice messages updating them on their daughter's status.

Amber held Bruce's hand, as they drove and squeezed hard when the next contraction hit her. Her eyes were full of a combination of love, fear and trust. Bruce smiled and reminded her again that she was not going to be alone. He was surprised that he was not panicking, he knew what he had to do. He pulled his car into the entrance marked Emergency Vehicles and left Amber in the car, while he bolted inside.

He advised the nurse sitting at the admissions desk that he had a sixteen year old female in his vehicle whose water had just broken and the contractions were fifteen minutes apart. The nurse sent a page and in less than a minutes two orderlies appeared and headed to the entrance doors.

They helped Amber into a wheelchair and placed the birthing room bag on the back of her wheelchair. Bruce moved his car to the lot reserved for emergency room patients. Upon his return, as he passed the admission desk again, the nurse said something about paperwork that needed to be filled out. Bruce dropped the large folder on her desk and headed in the direction that the orderlies had taken and started looking for Amber.

A large black female nurse asked him what he was doing wandering the halls. He explained himself and he was told to follow her and less than a minute later he was reunited with her. There was another nurse in the room who was keeping track of her progress.

"Your girlfriend is doing well. She is about 5 centimeters dilated and has about 5 more to go," the nurse informed him.

"My feet are cold," Amber told Bruce.

He recovered the pair of knee socks that were in the bag and slid them on her feet. He was somewhat surprised, when Amber's hand pressed the front of her hospital gown down to prevent him looking up it. He moved to the chair beside her bed and she held his hand, just as another contraction hit. She yelled out loud and painfully squeezed his hand.

"Breath, Amber, Breathe. Don't hold your breath."

"I am fucking breathing and not holding my fucking breath," she snapped back just before the contraction ended.

Bruce looked stunned, as she had never talked like that before. The nurse made a sign for Bruce to remain silent. Time passed and her contraction grew stronger. Amber's doctor finally made an appearance and asked the nurse how she was doing.

"Quite well. She is about 7 centimeters dilated," she was informed.

The doctor poked her hands under the blanket and pressed Amber's belly in different spots.

"You are doing very well," she told Amber, as she left the room.

In between contractions, she stared into Bruce's eyes and pleaded for him not to get angry and leave.

He assured her that he was here for the whole event. He then reminded her of the relaxation techniques they learned. He fanned her, when she became hot and fetched ice chips, when she was thirsty. The hours passed and Amber surprised the medical staff, as she moved from early first stage to active first stage in record time.

She was now in the transition phase. The contractions were stronger and longer and according to the nurse they were finishing dilating her cervix. Amber's moans didn't bother Bruce any longer and she held his hand during the contractions and Bruce whispered encouragement to her.

"Aren't you sorry you didn't drop me for that little Italian hottie?" she asked him after one contraction.

"Amber, I love you," he responded.

"You just love what's between my legs," she snapped, as another contraction took hold of her.

After the contraction passed, he needed to use the restroom and so did she. The nurse helped her into the bathroom and Bruce headed down the hall. He bumped into Amber's doctor in the hallway, as he was returning to the birthing room.

"Don't take anything she says to heart," she cautioned him.

He heard Amber yell his name and he ran to her side.

"I thought you left me. I can't do this without you," she moaned.

"Yes you can. Amber you can do anything, he assured her.

She forced herself to relax and listen to Bruce's instructions. The pain of the contractions was almost unbearable at times.

It was now 2:00 PM, she had been admitted shortly after 9:30 PM. The nurse checked her status and announced that she had achieved the required 10 centimeters. The doctor was then paged and advised of Amber's condition and she appeared in less than five minutes.

"I have to push," Amber said.

"Not yet," the doctor answered, as she took a seat at the foot of the bed and pushed back the covers. She said something in medical jargon to the room nurse and another one that soon appeared in the room and a light was set up.

Amber began to pant, Bruce told her to stop. She didn't listen and he raised his voice.

"I need to push," Amber said again only louder.

"OK, Amber push." the doctor said.

It was the most intense pain Amber had ever imagined. Bruce had his hand across her chest and she grabbed it, while looking him in the eyes. Then they heard the sound of a baby crying and Amber began to cry, so did Bruce.

"Its a girl," the doctor announced."Does the Father wish to cut the cord?"

"No", Bruce responded.

They cleaned the baby up, wrapped her in a blanket and placed a little pink cap on her head. The baby was then gently laid on Amber's chest. Bruce kissed Amber gently on the cheek and then went to the waiting room to see if her parents were there.

"Its a girl," he told them.

They hugged each other and both hugged Bruce. The doctor opened the door and invited the her parents inside to meet their granddaughter. There were more hugs, kisses and tears from all parties.The doctor told them that she was amazed at the speed and ease of the delivery for someone of her build.

Amber's Dad handed Bruce two boxes of cigars, regular and chocolate from a large shopping bag he carried. Its a girl was on the wrappers.

"How did you know?" Bruce questioned.

"I didn't. I have to return the ones that say its a boy."

"We will discharge her in a few hours, I'm going to start the paperwork now," the doctor informed them as the nurse shooed everyone out of the room.

"We will wait," her Dad informed them.

"No Dad, don't wait. I want Bruce to drive us home if that's OK. she asked.

Her parents only smiled and departed.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments