Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Amber Part 30

5
4 Comments 4
1.2k Views 1.2k
1.3k words 1.3k words
As soon as Amber's parents got home, they began to notify all of their relatives, but not before they called Allison at college. In the old fashioned gym where she trained, Allison broke down in tears after she closed her phone. Her baby sister had just given birth to a healthy baby girl, she was now officially an aunt.

They even called Bruce's parents and informed them of the happy news and added that their Son did all right. Dad then broke out a bottle of Dom Perignon that he had purchased the day Amber told them that she was expecting and placed it on ice. He would wait until Amber arrived home before he popped the cork.

Her parents embraced each other and shed more tears of joy.

"Our little girl is a Mommy," Lana stated.

"That she is. I wonder what name she decided on?" John answered.

"We never discussed that. You know it's been awhile since we had a newborn in the house .Do you think you can handle it?" Lana asked.

"No problem. What about you? As you said its been awhile since you had to deal with a newborn," he answered kissing his wife again.

"Like you said, no problem. I'm looking forward to helping Amber out."

Back at the hospital, a stream of hospital administrators appeared in Amber's room for assistance with the paperwork and birth certificate. She asked Bruce to leave the room. Finally, her Doctor appeared with her discharge papers and some instructions to follow, until her visit in a few days.

An orderly appeared with a wheelchair and waited in the hallway. She called Bruce back in and told him that she was ready to check out.He left the room to get his car started and turn up the heaters.

Amber dressed in an outfit that she had packed in the birthing room bag just in case. She smiled, when she saw how baggy the pants were on her now. Her baby was returned from the nursery and placed in her arms and she was then wheeled to the doors.

Bruce was waiting at the entrance doors with the car running and the heaters on full. She thanked the orderly and rose from the chair and walked to the curb. Walking was a little painful, but at least she wasn't battling gravity any longer.

He opened the door and she saw a top of the line carrier already strapped in place on the car seat. She gently placed her sleeping baby in it before she got in.

"When did you get this?" she asked.

"A few weeks ago, figured we'd need it pretty soon," he responded placing the car in gear.

There was an awkward silence, as they drove through the snow covered streets. Amber glanced over at Bruce and saw part of a gauze wrapping peeking out from under his coat sleeve of his right arm.

"What happened?" she asked pointing.

"It's nothing."

"Bruce, what happened? " she repeated again careful not to raise her voice."

"Amber, let it go," he responded.

They drove in silence and it wasn't until they stopped at a red light a few blocks from her parents house that she spoke again.

"Did I do that? Remember our pact, I want the truth," she said softly but firmly.

"Yes, you did that," he responded looking embarrassed.

"When?"

"It was during those real bad contractions. You grabbed me with such a force that you buried your nails deep in my arm."

Amber sat there just staring and her eyes grew moist. "I am so sorry," she added.

"Forget about it", he answered, as he turned into her parents' driveway.

Her parents must have been watching because the side door was already open and they were standing on the landing ready to assist. Amber unbuckled the carrier and carried it and its precious cargo into the house.

There was more hugging and kissing, as Dad popped the cork on the bottle of champagne and proceeded to pour them all a glass. But before he could pose a toast Amber interrupted him.

"Mom and Dad, I want you to meet your Granddaughter. Please say hello to Lea Katheryn Conway."

She handed the baby to her Mom and Dad.

"Why that name?"

"I used the first letter of Mom's name and the first letter of Allison's name.Two of my favorite women."

Dad raised his glass again," Congratulations on a job well done."

After they all took a sip the baby began to fuss a bit.

"She's probably hungry," Mom stated and they headed to Amber's room.

John motioned for Bruce to follow him and they headed to the heated garage where he lit a cigarette.

"Just so you know that for the next few weeks she is not going to be her normal happy self," her Dad informed Bruce.

"So I've been told," Bruce responded.

"She will probably be out of school for two weeks or maybe longer while she establishes a routine with her newborn," John continued.

"I kind of figured that too."

"Have you two talked about the future?" her Dad asked.

"Not really. We're taking it one step at a time.

"It's something you are going to have to address sooner or later," her Dad informed him.

Bruce looked at his watch and realized he was due at work. He asked her Dad to say his goodbye for him and left shortly afterward.

In Amber's room her Mom was giving her instructions on how to hold an infant when feeding it. She had some formula for newborns already prepared. They talked in low tones as the baby fed.

"You did good, honey," Mom stated.

"I had help."

"Yes you did, good help at that. So what's next for you two?" Mom asked.

"I'm not sure, we didn't talk much in the car."

"So how do you feel?" Mom questioned.

"Pretty good."

"When the adrenaline wears off you're gonna hurt a little."

"So I have been told."

"Just so you know, I have taken some time off of work to stay home to help you," Mom informed her.

"Mom, you didn't have to do that. Isn't that gonna screw up your vacation time?"

"One of the advantages of being a boss, I can take a vacation whenever I want," she whispered as she left the room.

With a full belly the baby fell fast asleep and Amber took advantage of it by logging onto her favorite chat site. All her friends were on and anxious for an update, so she filled them all in.

"How's the Dad holding up?" Darlene asked.

This time it was Amber that almost ruined the secret as the first response that came to her mind was, "What do I care."

When she quickly realized it was Bruce they were talking about, "He is great and did great,"she responded with a big smile.

"When can we see her?" Barbie asked.

"Come over after school tomorrow," Amber responded.

The following day Amber's friends came over after school. There was more hugging, kissing and crying. The baby seemed to like all the new attention and smiled at the lot of them and each girl got to hold her for a moment or two.

Bruce always came over to spend time with Amber, as he missed seeing her everyday at school. He was concerned by her hesitancy to speak at length. Whenever he questioned her, she responded with a non committal answer. Bruce always left feeling depressed.

Mom noticed all this and held her tongue, as she did not say anything. One day she could be silent no more.

"What's happening with you and Bruce? I thought you liked him?"

"I do, but I did something bad and when he finds out, there will be hell to pay," Amber responded.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments