Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Amber Part 31

6
5 Comments 5
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.8k words 1.8k words
On Saturdays it was the habit of the restaurant employees to go to breakfast at a local diner. Since Bruce became involved with Amber, he had been absent from these gatherings, they were all happy when he announced he would meet them there.

They took one of the corner booths that the owner reserved for them. He knew the owner and held them in such high regard that this booth was always reserved for them on Saturday. Each person took a seat at the end of the seat cushion and then slid in further in, Gina, as always, wound up sitting next to Bruce.

Over their bacon, eggs, toast and coffee they laughed and chatted for the next hour or so. Soon only Bruce and Gina remained. She noticed he was in no hurry to put space between them, as he normally did when they were alone.

"So,what's happening with you?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Normally by this time you have slid away from me," she responded.

"I can't sit next to you?"

"Anytime, but usually you don't. Is there trouble in paradise?" she continued.

"Let's just say that I think you were wrong about her being in love with me," Bruce answered and then told her everything that had been going on.

"So you think it was all an act just to keep you around?" she asked.

"The thought had crossed my mind."

"Remember, she just popped a kid out and it demands one hundred per cent of her attention. Plus all her hormones are still out of whack."

"Yeah, I know that. It's the no talking, joking or smiling that makes me wonder," he answered.

"So after all the time she spent with you and you being in the delivery room with her, she is going to call it quits?"

"That's how it seems," he responded looking down.

"I am not going to get my hopes up. But when you have proof that you two are finished, you call me up no matter what time it is. One night with me and you will forget all about her, but I think you are wrong, she was really into you."

"Was is the working word here," he responded, as he slid out to pay the check.

Bruce headed home and went to his room. After taking a shower, he fired up his laptop and logged in, he immediately got a chat request from Amber, so he placed his headphones on and hit the accept tab.

Instantly, her face filled the screen. Just seeing her caused his heart to soar, but he gave no outward sign of it.

"Hey," she started.

"Hey yourself."

"Where were you?"

"Breakfast," he responded.

"You're back kinda late. Normally you eat and run."

"Today I decided to stay longer and talk."

"Let me guess, Gina was there?"

"Yeah."

Amber felt a rage of jealously course through her body.

"So did you two have a nice time?" she asked icily.

"We just talked."

"What? No tongue kissing and fondling each other?"

"In the diner?"

"Seems to me that the where is not an issue for that little whore," Amber responded.

"Jeez, what's the matter with you? We just talked."

"I'm not good enough to talk to anymore?" she questioned with a hint of aggravation.

"You tell me. You haven't said more that two words to me since I brought you home from the hospital."

"It's complicated," she responded softening her tone and controlling her volume lest she wake her sleeping infant.

"Complicated my ass," he responded and stabbed his finger on the disconnect button and ended the chat.

A wave of emotion coursed through Amber's brain. She wanted to cry and scream her anger at the same time, she was going to have to tell him the truth eventually. Finally with her back to the wall she did as she always did, she sought her older sister's counsel. Due to the hour it would have to wait until tomorrow.

 Sunday arrived and Allison was overjoyed to hear from her. When Amber explained the source of the baby's name, she swelled with pride. Before Amber could continue Allison explained that she was at the gym in the middle of a workout.

She asked Amber to contact her via her favorite chat network in about an hour. So an hour and a few minutes later she connected to her older sister's laptop and she went into detail about what she had done.
"Wow," was Allison's only comment after hearing the whole story.

"So, what do you think I should do?"

"Tell him the truth," came the response.

"That might drive him into the arms and bed of that Italian hottie he works with," Amber replied.

"It might."

"Thanks for the support," Amber responded sarcastically.

"You wanted the truth and my honest opinion. Now you have it and it bothers you."

She ended the chat and sought out her Mom. In tears, she broke down and told her the whole story and her Mom was a little upset.

"Oh Amber, that was a stupid thing to do," her Mom said.

"It seemed like the right thing at the time. What do I do?" she sniffed into a Kleenex.

"You are going to have to tell him the truth, as well as your Father. Your father is not going to be happy, when he hears it. There could be legal issues involved."

Later that evening after Mom left for her aerobics class, Amber asked her Father for a few minutes of his time. He was very pleased, as normally his wife and older daughter were the ones she sought counsel from.

When Amber poured him three finger of bourbon in a rocks glass, he became worried. She begged him not to yell or lose his temper. As he took his first sip and he was able to see that whatever it was that was bothering her was weighing heavy on her mind , the fear and concern was etched on her pretty face.

With tears streaming down her face she began her story, it was not a long tale. When she finished, he drained his glass and poured another generous portion of the fiery liquid.

"Oh Amber, of all the dumb things to do," he managed to say softly and not upset her further.

Amber buried her face in a tissue and wept.

"Have you told Bruce?"

"No, I have been avoiding the issue."

"You need to tell him."

"I'm afraid that might drive him away," she responded.

"That is a possibility. That young man has been nothing but good to you. After the parade of losers you've brought home, you finally find one that we like. He proves his worth by standing beside you through everything and this is how you reward him?"

Not being able to stay mad at his youngest for very long, he opened his arms and Amber flew into them. She cried again and this time he stroked her hair and whispered words of comfort.

"You need to tell him," he said softly.

Amber headed to her room and located her cellphone and hit Bruce's number. She was surprised that he answered and was not surprised at his tone of voice.

"What?"

"I really need to talk to you," she said.

"Amber, I am in no mood for games," he said sharply.

"This is no game. Now I have never begged for anything, but I will if that's what it takes to get you to come over and talk."

"When?"

"Tomorrow, after school," she requested.

"OK," was all she heard before the phone went dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce had sleepless nights and that caused the school day to drag on. Finally, 3:00 PM arrived and he was heading toward Amber's house. He tried to analyze his feelings, as he drove, he finally gave up, as he pulled into her driveway.

Lana admitted him and directed him to the basement.She looked almost like she did before she got pregnant. Her makeup was flawless as was her hair.He smiled inwardly when he noticed that she was wearing the pink satin robe that he had worn.

He also noticed that she still had his ring on a chain around her neck. She placed her arms around his shoulders and gave him a hug. She sadly noted that he made no move to kiss her. When she released him, she bade him to take a seat on the couch.

She also asked that no matter how upset he became not to raise his voice. He agreed to her request.

"Bruce, I know you believe that I have only been pretending that I love you, but I assure you that my love is real. I also know that you have been pretty upset that we have not been talking much," she started.

He started to speak, but she asked him to let her finish.

"First let me apologize for my not talking to you, there has been a lot on my mind."

"Yeah, I imagine the baby keeps you busy," he responded.

That she does. Now do you remember saying that there were times that you wish that the baby was yours because it meant that we would always be together? You also remember that I had made the same statement for the same reasons?"

"Yes, I remember," he responded warily.

"Well I never forgot it and it made me do a very bad and very illegal thing the day Lea was born. Now we have our wish and the baby is ours, well on paper anyway."

Bruce only stared at her with a confused look on his face.

"Do you remember when they came in the room after they took Lea to the nursery? What you didn't know was that they had the birth certificate that the parents were to sign with them. Do you recall that I asked you to leave the room?

"Yeah, I remember," he answered.

"Well I forged your signature on the birth certificate so Lea is ours," she responded quickly and on the verge of tears again.

"Why?"

"Because I never want my daughter to know that her Mom got stupid and balled a cabana boy while on vacation and got pregnant. All the people in our world believe that you are the father anyway and now if someone questions it, I have legal documentation."

Bruce could only stare at this stunning beauty seated next to him.

"This is not some sinister plot to get money out of you or dump a newborn on you. If things don't work our between us and we part ways no one will know the real truth but us."

Bruce sat there pondering his next statement..

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments