Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
I Loved Him So Much!

8
10 Comments 10
2.0k Views 2.0k
1.0k words 1.0k words
Approaching the accident I was showing my fear and trepidation. I knew they might not let me near him, but I had to get to him. It was so important to get to him. I had to see him. My tears were already falling because I knew what they would think.

We had been driving around in the rain, but being careful. We had spent the night out while my boyfriend was out doing his thing. I knew he wouldn't go too far. He never left me alone for very long.

I had heard the accident reported on the news as having just occurred. I was nearby. It was imperative that I get to the scene and get to him. I could see several officers surrounding the area and making their investigations or whatever they do. But I just had to get to him. They had not given his name but that was not important. This was my neighborhood and for my own needs I had to get near him and find out what the story was.

The whole morning had been wet. The rain falling for hours on end. Just the kind of weather that brought on accidents. I had known something was going to happen. It always did on such a day. Finally the rains had stopped and we were drying out.

I was coming here with my friend Pamela. We were so often together these days. We spent a lot of our waking hours together when we were not with other friends or acquaintances. Pamela had insisted that we come together in case there was some kind of trouble. I was all for that. I needed her backup. I depended upon it.

As we drew near the accident scene I was preparing what I would say. It was so important to say the right thing if I wanted to get to him. I was wearing my over coat, as was Pamela. Even so we had been drenched earlier. Luckily the things in our pockets stayed dry.

"Gwen, are you going to be alright? Can you handle this. They may let you in but they surely won't allow me."

"I am sure they will let me in, Pam. Don't worry. I can handle this. Really. I can do this. Just wait here for me, okay?"

Going up to the first officer I was crying and begging already to get to him.

"Please, sir, I have to see him. My name is Gwendolyn Purvis. I'm his fiancé. Please, for the love of god, let me go to him. I just have to see him and say goodbye!"

"I'm sorry Miss. This is not very pretty. You don't want to go in there. Really."

"Yes, yes, I do, I do. I have to say goodbye. Please just let me say goodbye!"

"Wait here a moment. I need to talk to my lieutenant."

He walked over to another man who seemed to be directing things. They were talking low but in the still air after the rain I could make out what they were saying.

"Lieutenant Ames, that's his fiancé. I told her it was not very good. She's pretty broken up, begging to say goodbye."

"Okay Sergeant, let her in. We'll try to make him presentable. But you stand by in case she falls apart."

The sergeant beckoned for me to come closer. Then he took my arm and guided me to the accident itself. Nearing the wreck I could see his body lying beside the car. It was covered a bit with a blanket, but his upper torso was still showing, as was his face. The blood was almost overwhelming but I had to get near to him. This is what I had come for. I was going to do what I needed to do.

I was wiping the tears from my eyes with a handkerchief I had taken from my large pockets. I put it back and pulled out what I needed to help me get through this ordeal. The sergeant averted his eyes as I bent over the body and touched the face of the body there. Then I did what I had come to do.

"Sergeant, I got what I needed. I am so happy you let me in to see him. You were so kind. Thanks ever so much. I will never forget this."

"Miss, you need to go now. You can't do any good here now. He's gone and that's that. I'm sorry for your loss."

"You're right sergeant. You're right. I'm going. My friend is waiting. I will be alright."

I slowly walked away putting my hands into my coat pockets and shuffling towards Pam. I reached her and she embraced me and held me as I cried a little more. Then we started away.

As we passed around the corner I couldn't help laughing. Pamela had to join in with me. What a great joke! I had got what I wanted and we had played the cops for all they were worth. I took out my smartphone and we started going through the pictures I had taken of the body. I wondered who the loser was. These pictures were gold on the internet. We could get some good bucks for pictures of dead and messed up bodies.

And the wallet he had was filled with bills. And credit cards. And his watch was a Rolex! All great for grifters like us.

When Pamela had thought this up she had told me it was not illegal to take pictures but the victims' families could sue us. But, I mean, it was the internet! It could be anyone and the pictures got passed around so much that they could never really trace it back to the source.

"Pretty pictures, Miss! Can I see more? And I would love to see that wallet."

Oh hell, it was the sergeant.

"You dropped your handkerchief. The lieutenant told me to catch up and give it to you. Nice pictures. And nice wallet. Would you two ladies come with me please?"

Published 
Written by Survivor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments