Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Tomorrow: Chapter Eleven

"Adam gets curious... Philena gets hopeful... Reality slaps them both in the face."

3
5 Comments 5
1.0k Views 1.0k
696 words 696 words
"Does that make more sense now?"

I look down at my paper- Calculus homework that only an hour ago would have completely stumped me and had me giving up. It does make more sense. I could finish this in 15 minutes now. Easy.

I nod and smile, eyes wide in surprise.

"Good... what time did you say you had to be home by?"

I look up from my homework- almost finished, by the way- and glance at the clock. 4:45pm.

"Fuck! I have to be home in fifteen minutes." There's no way I can gather all my stuff and walk home in that time. What the hell am I gonna do?

He picks up his old Calculus book and shoves his meager amount of stuff into his small black backpack.

"What are you doing?"

He smiles as he throws on his leather jacket. Real leather. Very expensive. No wonder $5 for lunch is nothing to him.

"Why, I'm giving you a ride home of course."

I shake my head and then look at the clock. 4:50pm. Do I really want to take on the wrath of Stepmonster and Mother when I'm late?

A glance at Adam reveals curiousity and questions in his eyes. I'd really rather not answer those questions, but do I actually have a choice?

"Well? C'mon Philena, is it really so horrible to accept help sometimes?" His eyes are soft with concern, like melted chocolate, and I smile a fake, but hopefully believable, smile.

"Of course not. Alright, let's go." I stuff everything in my locker- I have no more homework tonight- and we head out to his car.

***

"Where do I turn now?"

Adam turns glances towards me, driving north down the main road. My house is in a tiny little hidden area of the city- an older area, not visited as much as the new, rich-bitch houses.

"A left onto 25th and then a right onto Franklin."

He nods and continues quietly driving for a time before asking another question- one I am not so happy to answer.

"So was that all really acting in Drama the other day, or is there, perhaps, a glimmer of truth?"

He has on his Cop Look. If I just told the truth now, what would happen? Would I even have to go back to the house or would he take me straight to the station? Would I ever have to see Stepmonster again? Would I ever see Mother again?

My eyes sparkle at the thought of never having to go back, but then reality punches me in the face. Yes, yes, I would have to see Stepmonster again if I told- in court. I would have to testify against him. I'd have to tell a bunch of jury people- people who don't know me and probably just want to get out of there and on with their own lives- all about what he did to me. I'd have to tell a judge all about the past nine years.

I can't do that. I am not that brave.

"Philena?"

I force a laugh and smile like he's silly and that's a stupid thing for him to think.

"Of course it was all acting. What else would it be?"

He is silent as he turns onto Franklin.

"A left onto Otter and then another left onto C. My house is on the left of the dead end."

He nods and continues driving.

"Are you absolutely certain, Philena? You know, not all cops are assholes. There is a way out. I..." he pauses and looks back at the road, turning down C.

"I can help you. We can help."

I swallow. The house is in front of us. It is 4:58pm. I have to either tell the truth or get in there.

My eyes close briefly and when I open them, his meet mine, pleading with me.

"I'm sorry, I'd stay and chat more, but I really do have to go. Don't wanna be grounded, ya know."

My smile like a grimace, I exit his car and wave as I step into the house. Stepmonster's sneer greets me, but at least Mother is smiling.

I am right on time.
Published 
Written by Colors_of_the_Wind
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments