Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
My Strange Fascination

5
4 Comments 4
869 Views 869
414 words 414 words
I have always had this fascination with old cemeteries. I remember walking around on Sunday afternoon with my grandmother in one of the oldest cemeteries in the city looking for the headstone of a friend of hers. I marveled at the old mausoleums and ornate headstones. I was not frighted or scared, even when the sun began to set I felt at peace.

Years later this fascination was still with me and whenever the opportunity to explore one of these resting places presented itself I took full advantage of it. Now before you ask the answer is yes, it got me into trouble more than once.

I was doing a show in a small New Jersey town and had seen an old cemetery not far from the hotel I was staying at and I was determined to explore it. So after my last show one evening I headed there and wandered around exploring, but it seemed my presence there had alerted an observer who in turn called the police.

Shortly after I had arrived I was approached by two uniformed officers. They requested my identification and I am sure they had already ran the license plate of the company van I was driving. Then came the questions of what I was doing there and I can only imagine what was going through their minds.

I explained that I was the co-chairman of a haunted house project back in Ohio and these places give me ideas for sets and rooms. They officers gave each other looks that suggested that they did not believe my story. I asked them to follow me to the van and I slowly removed and opened my attache case.

Inside was documentation of my story alone with pictures, newspaper clippings and awards I had won. They read all the contents and looked at all the pictures and I could sense they relaxed.

"This place is too new, we know a better one," one officer said.

"Come on and follow us and we will take you to a real old one," the other chimed in.

I followed the marked unit for about a fifteen minute ride on the side roads and we arrived at a very old graveyard that was something liked my beloved horror movies and I thanked them.

"Just be sure to be out of here by 10:00 pm or the grounds keeper might lock you in for the night," one advised.

"He might just like that," the other officer answered.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments