Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Seecret

"A boy's secret"

7
8 Comments 8
365 Views 365
247 words 247 words

Edward sat at the head of the table gazing at the Christmas feast before him. A succulent roast turkey with cornbread stuffing. A basin of mashed potatoes just to the left of his grandmother’s antique tureen of gravy. Fruits and vegetables spread gloriously around the table.

It was another wonderful year. The Christmas tree in the corner with a deluge of brightly wrapped packages set a joyful atmosphere, alongside the fireplace with well-lit logs.

He stood to make a toast. As he rose Edward could see his wife of many years, Juliet and his son Michael and his daughter Rose. Even Spot the dog sat at his feet awaiting the annual nibble of people food he has become used to getting.

Grandma and Grandpa were beaming, as usual, this time of year. Then there was the empty chair where Mother used to sit. A place setting always in honor of her.

Everyone raised their glasses in gesture of a toast and just about as Edward began to speak it started to snow again. Edward always loved the snow.

“Billy, put your snowglobe away. It’s time for bed.”

“But mom...”

“No buts young man. If you want Santa to come you better get to sleep.”

“But I see them. They move.”

“I’m not going to tell you again. Go to bed.”

Young Billy set the snowglobe on his nightstand. Just before he turned his light out, Billy tipped the globe again. Edward loved the snow.

Published 
Written by Dreamcatcher
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments