Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 44

4
4 Comments 4
1.2k Views 1.2k
1.4k words 1.4k words
The young Prince followed his old mentor along the long twisting passage ways to the secret door to the treasure room. The secret door to this room was also hidden behind a tapestry, but it was different than all of the others. It was much smaller and closer to the floor and one was forced to crouch down to enter. Once satisfied that the young Prince could enter and exit Felsar returned to his chamber

Prince Karl entered and glanced around the room that was piled high with all manner of treasures many of which were spoils of war from the time of his most ancient ancestors. The door to the hallway was not a standard wood door but, was constructed in the same manner as the main gate leading into the court yard.

It allowed those outside to peer inside without opening a door. The crisscross pieces of wood that formed this barrier had enough openings to allow an arrow to be fired from the hallway. There were two guards on duty, but he could hear them snoring so he was safe.

He made a quick tally of what could be taken and not missed and based on the amount of dust on the floors no one had been in here since his Father passed. He also knew that one of the first duties the new king would personally oversee was a recording of what the room held. He gathered a few items that he could easily carry and left for the safety of the wizards lair.

Once there he inspected all the items he had taken. The box of gems from the stash in his room were a collection of diamonds, rubies and emeralds worth a fortune. The items from the treasure room were a pair of solid gold candle sticks and some ingots of gold and silver. He gave the ingots to Felsar as thanks for saving his life and keeping him safe.

"Young sir, this is far too generous a gift."

"Nonsense, you have earned that and more," Carpenter replied.

Two days later the coronation of Albert Delnam, hereafter to be known as Albert the First was crowned ruler of the land. Since the murder of the royal family left no heir to the throne it was suggested that he be named King. He was a wise prime minister and adviser, liked by King and commoner. He humbly accepted the invitation to become ruler.

Since her arrival for the royal funeral his interest in the lovely Princess Lynette was growing. Not a day passed that he did not sent her letters, flowers or poems. She was flattered by the attention at first as it distracted her from the loss of the Prince. It was after the incident in the chapel where she claimed to have seen Prince Karl that she changed.

She kept to her room most of the day or wandered the gardens and always in the company of her ladies-in- waiting. When he saw her at meal times she seemed distant and less talkative than she had been when she first arrived.

He had personally asked her to sit beside him at the ceremony as he hoped that this honor would let her know the depth of his feelings for her. She was not moved by his gesture but agreed to honor his request. During the feast that followed he invited her family and servants to linger here and enjoy his hospitality, they all agreed.

This stay would afford him the opportunity to speak to her Father about a possible marriage, after all a King needed a Queen. Later that evening when the young Prince visited the Princess she told him that one of her most trusted servants had heard him talking with her Father about a possible wedding and this filled him with anger. They talked for a few hours until sleep overtook her and then he departed for the wizards lair.

"Old friend, I have a plan to discourage the new King from marrying the Princess, but it requires your knowledge," he told the wizard.

"I will assist you anyway I can. Now what do you need to know?" Felsar responded.

The new King retired to his chamber around midnight and had not been sleeping long when he heard his name being called. The room was lit only by the Moon's light and a few candles and then a figure stepped out of the shadows and into the light, it was Prince Karl.

The King began to tremble with fear as he stared at the image before him. The Prince's face and hands were bone white as were his clothes.

"Prince Karl, what do you want of me?" the King asked forcing his voice to remain calm.

"Heed my warning and do not attempt to wed the Princess," came the hissed response.

"How could you know that?"

"My spirit wanders the halls of this castle and hears everything," the ghostly figure responded.

"Guard, Guards," the king yelled at the top of his voice and the figure of Prince Karl stepped back in the shadows just as the guards threw open the door.

"What is in Sire?" the Captain asked.

"Search this room for I swear I saw someone moving around in the shadows," he commanded.

More candles were lit and torches were brought in. The guards then searched every inch of the room, they even checked the balcony and the ledges as they could support a mans weight and provided support for his footsteps.

"My Lord, there is no one here." the Captain informed him.

"Leave me then," he commanded and the men took their leave.

It was a short time later that he heard his name being called again and the figure of the dead Prince was standing on the foot board of his bed.

"You cannot catch a spirit nor escape my vengeance. Heed my warning and do not attempt to marry the Princess or I will haunt you for all your days," the figure warned while pointing a finger at him.

The ghostly figure then ran noiselessly to the balcony and dove off of it as though he was diving into a pool of water. The new King flew out of bed and also ran to the balcony and peered over the stone railing. Fear gripped his soul when he saw there was no body on the ground and no one attempting to walk the narrow ledge.

Albert returned to his bed with his heat pounding in his chest and his brain attempting to make sense of what had happened. The ghost of the dead Prince had returned from the grave and warned him not to attempt to marry Princess Lynette.

Why would a ghost care whom he married he thought to himself? There is a mystery here that needs explaining and he would consult the wizard come morning. A few minutes the young Prince appeared in the wizards lair.

"So, how did it fare?" Felsar asked.

"Quite well," the Prince responded as he began to remove the makeup that the wizard had concocted and shed the clothing that was covered in the same paint.

"The long drop did not hurt you?"

"No, it was as you said. My legs are so much more stronger than they were that I felt noting."

Carpenter heard a voice command him to awake and once again he was in his private rail car.

"What have you learned this time? the Monk asked.

"I am attempting to prevent the new King from marrying the Princess.I had forgotten all about that," Carpenter responded.

"Did you succeed?"

"I am not sure as you never keep me under long enough," Carpenter responded with just a hint of aggravation in his tone.

"I do this for your safety. Too many painful memories in too short a time could drive you mad," the Monk responded.

"Are we subject to that?" Carpenter asked.

"The brain is one of the most mysterious parts of our bodies and as no one totally understands it yet I take no chances.To answer your question, yes we too can be driven insane," Brother Sebastian responded.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments