71 replies
16.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by fuzzy1954
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Every member, from the crotchety old man in the corner to the dude at the head of the parade with pom-poms, is entitled to an opinion. As I've explained to a couple of members, it isn't the opinion expressed so much as the manner in which it is presented. Be respectful. Be flexible. Be open-minded and consider all sides of an issue.

There are many ways on SS that an author is lauded and/or recognized for achievement. Ratings, views, RR's, EC's, front cover listings and badges. All of which are subjective. At this point, it's the best we got and tweaking of the processes are currently being considered.

Larryf's well-intentioned post was spot on. These things we are currently discussing should be elements of SS that makes being a member more relevant. We should be more supportive and trumpet the victories of each other rather than assuming that just because one author got a piece of pie means there is none left for anybody else.

Gypsy and Ping are right. We are a community, generously supported by Nicola. Let's not waste the opportunity being offered here and encourage new members, mentor those who want help, and celebrate the endeavors of our friends.

ps. and I'll try not being the crotchety old man in the corner.

I personally agree with Maggie post on this thread. that said

I would like to "throw" my name in the list for the newest badge ... "crotchety old man in the corner" I believe Larry / Dreamcatcher can't be the only one here in Stories

To be fair... and to be accurate... I did not call or refer to Mr. L. Dreamcatcher as the "crotchety old man in the corner."

However, it has come to my attention that he refers to himself as that. So be it. Still not him. His thoughts and opinions are valued.

Just wondering if we need so many levels? IDK. Some people have been here for six, seven, eight years, and they still don't have the views to meet the new, proposed criteria. Just sayin'. It almost seems like the numbers still need to be re-worked, or the value of some of the badges should be revisited. Are they all necessary? Do 3000 or 2000 or however many views really make that story a 'famous' story? Seems a tad hyperbolic. I think that's the right word. And I'm not trying to be too graphic.

Out of 9808 stories and poems published, as listed on the main page...

10 stories and/or poems have more than 10,000 views, with one anomaly of over 187,000.

18 stories have between 5000 and 10,000 views

33 stories have between 3000 and 4999 views

27 stories have between 2500 and 2999 views

49 stories have between 2000 and 2499 views

My point being, I think, is that we don't really need anything past Famous and Legendary (or use other label names, if so chosen).

2500 views for famous seems reasonable, given the history and current viewing climate

7500 view for legendary seems reasonable as well

Currently, there are 3 stories that meet the current famous status (30,000 views), and one of those meets current legendary status (100,000 views)

Do we really want or need another level or badge beyond that? Just asking. IDK. I don't think so.

We don't need to make things complicated, just attainable for those that want to attain.

Thoughts?
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Ping
Just wondering if we need so many levels? IDK. Some people have been here for six, seven, eight years, and they still don't have the views to meet the new, proposed criteria. Just sayin'. It almost seems like the numbers still need to be re-worked, or the value of some of the badges should be revisited. Are they all necessary? Do 3000 or 2000 or however many views really make that story a 'famous' story? Seems a tad hyperbolic. I think that's the right word. And I'm not trying to be too graphic.

10 stories and/or poems have more than 10,000 views, with one anomaly of over 187,000.

My point being, I think, is that we don't really need anything past Famous and Legendary (or use other label names, if so chosen).

2500 views for famous seems reasonable, given the history and current viewing climate

Currently, there are 3 stories that meet the current famous status (30,000 views), and one of those meets current legendary status (100,000 views)

Do we really want or need another level or badge beyond that? Just asking. IDK. I don't think so.

We don't need to make things complicated, just attainable for those that want to attain.

Thoughts?

Dude. You're making this way too complicated. I've already posted my thoughts:

Quote by Maggie
Famous Story: 2,500 views
Legendary Story: 7,500 views
Famous Audio Story: 300 listens
Legendary Audio Story: 1,000 listens
Profile Star: 7,500 profile views
Profile Superstar: 15,000 profile views
Profile Megastar: 30,000 profile views
Stories Star: 35,000 total story views
Stories Superstar: 65,000 total story views
Stories Megastar: 125,000 total story views

All of the above are based on existing badges, just renamed and the requirements adjusted to be more attainable.

We have Famous and Legendary Story badges — with proposed revision of the criteria down to 2,500 views and 7,500 views respectively — and nothing beyond that for individual story views. But individual story views aren't the only accomplishments worthy of a badge.

What about active members who AREN'T writers? Maybe they prefer to spend their time tinkering with their profile and interacting with friends there. Don't they deserve a badge too?

What about prolific writers who don't necessarily get a lot of views on any one piece, but their body of work as a whole has a lot of views? What's wrong with showing them a little love, badge-wise? The Stories Star, Superstar and Megastar badges are for total views on all stories. They would replace the Millionaires Club, because, let's face it, no one is going to reach a million views here.

It isn't complicated. These badges will be automatically generated by the system once the required threshold is reached.

For profile views and total story views, when the next level is attained, the previous badge will be replaced (not added to). Again this is all done by the system. For example, my profile has 10,850 views, so I'll get a Profile Star badge. Cool! If it were ever to reach 15,000 views, I'd get a Profile Superstar badge — and the Profile Star badge would disappear. Same thing with the total story views badges.

As a reminder...

Quote by Ping
Let's get to work on these badge numbers, so we can get back to reading and writing, and growing our little writing community.

This is what I'm trying to do.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Lurker
0 likes
I think that is fair to all. Well said.
Lurker
0 likes
Too many carrots (badges/awards) spoil the stew. Maggy is absolutely dead on target.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
Quote by hayley

I love the 'Prima Donna' categories, so tongue in cheek. Really made me giggle. Naughty you.

Well, I wanted something to convey “bigger than a superstar” and was having trouble coming up with the right term. Diva wasn’t quite right, Principal sounded too stuffy, but Prima Donna struck me as a lighthearted option. Maybe Megastar would be better, though. (I don’t want to offend anyone who earns the badge.)

Oh noooooo ... NOT 'Megastar' please! If we have that title available Gav will have to expand the login boxes to cope with the head size of anyone who is awarded one.

'Prima Donna' is cool and 'tall poppy' enough to remind a Member to be humble, or else!

I think that acknowledging Members' ongoing contributions, by way of a badge based on accumulated reads, is really important. I think it is more important than an actual story badge. Given that a story badge could encourage more 'reads' for an author, both are necessary.

A salient point is that the new badge format fits with the existing programming. Gav is losing his hair quickly enough.
(He isn't of course.. but let's not tempt fate! He's got one of those blaster thingys that is standrd stormtrooper issue )
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Adagio
Too many carrots (badges/awards) spoil the stew. Maggy is absolutely dead on target.

Are you daft???

Maggie has added 8 badges. You can’t both agree with Maggie AND CONTRADICT her.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Ping

Thoughts?

Dude. You're making this way too complicated. I've already posted my thoughts:

Quote by Maggie
Profile Megastar: 30,000 profile views
Stories Megastar: 125,000 total story views

All of the above are based on existing badges, just renamed and the requirements adjusted to be more attainable.

We have Famous and Legendary Story badges — with proposed revision of the criteria down to 2,500 views and 7,500 views respectively — and nothing beyond that for individual story views. But individual story views aren't the only accomplishments worthy of a badge.

What about active members who AREN'T writers? Maybe they prefer to spend their time tinkering with their profile and interacting with friends there. Don't they deserve a badge too?

What about prolific writers who don't necessarily get a lot of views on any one piece, but their body of work as a whole has a lot of views? What's wrong with showing them a little love, badge-wise? The Stories Star, Superstar and Megastar badges are for total views on all stories. They would replace the Millionaires Club, because, let's face it, no one is going to reach a million views here.

It isn't complicated. These badges will be automatically generated by the system once the required threshold is reached.

For profile views and total story views, when the next level is attained, the previous badge will be replaced (not added to). Again this is all done by the system. For example, my profile has 10,850 views, so I'll get a Profile Star badge. Cool! If it were ever to reach 15,000 views, I'd get a Profile Superstar badge — and the Profile Star badge would disappear. Same thing with the total story views badges.

As a reminder...

Quote by Ping
Let's get to work on these badge numbers, so we can get back to reading and writing, and growing our little writing community.

I’ve not complimented anything. LOL. I’ve only illustrated something, with numbers, what hasn’t been shown as of yet.

Just asking the question before you press play.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Maggie has been working on resolving this issue for quite a while behind the scenes. I assure everyone that she doesn't work in a vacuum and has it all well in hand.

Profile Prima Donna: 30,000 profile views
Stories Prima Donna: 125,000 total story views

These numbers are well within reason to an active member. We are trying to encourage more participation and putting badges closer to the merry-go-round makes them easier to grab.

Well done you Magificent rascal...
Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by Ping

So was I.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

0 likes
"There are two things people want more than sex and money: recognition and praise."
--Mary Kay Ash, Founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics

"Recognition is not a scarce resource. You can't use it up or run out of it."
--Susan M. Heathfield, About.com Human Resources Expert

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." Abraham Lincoln

From the perspective of a newcomer, thank you for the badges that tell me how much I've done. I don't count things very well.

I value the praise of a Recommended Read more than badges because it is recognition from my superpeers of the quality of work. The talent here is awesome! I walk with giants here and not everyone can have that experience in their life. I would like to be a giant...someday.

The lack of scoring on my other work keeps me humble and reminds me to do better. I have plenty of reminders, too!

So all of this is to say Thank You! This site has value to me.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Wordpusher715
"There are two things people want more than sex and money: recognition and praise."
--Mary Kay Ash, Founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics

"Recognition is not a scarce resource. You can't use it up or run out of it."
--Susan M. Heathfield, About.com Human Resources Expert

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." Abraham Lincoln

From the perspective of a newcomer, thank you for the badges that tell me how much I've done. I don't count things very well.

I value the praise of a Recommended Read more than badges because it is recognition from my superpeers of the quality of work. The talent here is awesome! I walk with giants here and not everyone can have that experience in their life. I would like to be a giant...someday.

The lack of scoring on my other work keeps me humble and reminds me to do better. I have plenty of reminders, too!

So all of this is to say Thank You! This site has value to me.

well said very well said

Please read my latest poem to honour all who have served

Bitch Called Nam

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/bitch-called-nam

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Today marks the first I have noticed of some changes to the badges on our site here. Apparently our good friend Gav is making some updates. If you go to the Badges list you will read quite a few changes. Some are simply badges that are renamed. That is the case with the old Prolific Writer and the Omnium badge. Those two are now called the Diverse Writer and the Plenary Writer.

I won't mention all that I saw in the list. But there are interesting changes.

One that is of interest to me particulary is the new Author 250 badge for authors with over 250 stories. I, along with Colors_of_the_Wind and CKAcres, now display that badge. However, it should be noted that we three are no longer listed in the Authors' list. I assume it has to do with this badge change. I will hope that we three will reappear in the Authors' list again, perhaps tomorrow when the system has a chance to recycle itself.

But it is going to be fun to watch the changes as they occur.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
Today marks the first I have noticed of some changes to the badges on our site here. Apparently our good friend Gav is making some updates. If you go to the Badges list you will read quite a few changes. Some are simply badges that are renamed. That is the case with the old Prolific Writer and the Omnium badge. Those two are now called the Diverse Writer and the Plenary Writer.

I won't mention all that I saw in the list. But there are interesting changes.

One that is of interest to me particulary is the new Author 250 badge for authors with over 250 stories. I, along with Colors_of_the_Wind and CKAcres, now display that badge. However, it should be noted that we three are no longer listed in the Authors' list. I assume it has to do with this badge change. I will hope that we three will reappear in the Authors' list again, perhaps tomorrow when the system has a chance to recycle itself.

But it is going to be fun to watch the changes as they occur.

Yes, Gav has had his hands full making all the badge changes requested. There are a few wrinkles to iron out yet, but I think many people will be pleased by what’s been done.

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
Has there ever been a consideration of updating the badges here on StoriesSpace to reflect reality? For instance, instead of needing 30,000 views to achieve a Famous story might the threshold be something more realistic for this site? Perhaps 2,500 or so? And might we also consider changing the other badges to show the same reality? It's just a thought. I wasn't aware if that had ever been considered before. The way it is now I would think some badges may never be achieved.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Not sure if this post (24th May, 2017) was the first discussion here on this topic but it was certainly the post that started the ball rolling so to speak.

Whether you believe in the badge concept or not, what has now been accomplished is awesome and all Members should be congratulating Maggie and her crew for seeing this through. I have no idea how Gav ever found the time to do this; he is just a phenomenom.

Way more important than the badge update is what it signifies. It signifies a commitment to the site by the powers that be, a commitment that many Members had thought was gone. Many believed that, given the activity elsewhere, perhaps stories space was just being left to wither away.

Sometimes it is just sooooo wonderful to be gloriously wrong!.

Now the Site has demonstrated its commitment to its Members its time for all Members to reciprocate, by writing more here and each introducing say one new Member a month?

We can do that you know.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor
Has there ever been a consideration of updating the badges here on StoriesSpace to reflect reality? For instance, instead of needing 30,000 views to achieve a Famous story might the threshold be something more realistic for this site? Perhaps 2,500 or so? And might we also consider changing the other badges to show the same reality? It's just a thought. I wasn't aware if that had ever been considered before. The way it is now I would think some badges may never be achieved.

Not sure if this post (24th May, 2017) was the first discussion here on this topic but it was certainly the post that started the ball rolling so to speak.

Whether you believe in the badge concept or not, what has now been accomplished is awesome and all Members should be congratulating Maggie and her crew for seeing this through. I have no idea how Gav ever found the time to do this; he is just a phenomenom.

Way more important than the badge update is what it signifies. It signifies a commitment to the site by the powers that be, a commitment that many Members had thought was gone. Many believed that, given the activity elsewhere, perhaps stories space was just being left to wither away.

Now the Site has demonstrated its commitment to its Members its time for all Members to reciprocate, by writing more here and each introducing say one new Member a month?

We can do that you know.

I'm still waiting for at least two new badges to get applied to my profile. I'm sure that is simply because Gav has other more important chores to attend to. I'm looking at getting the Famous Story and the Millionaire's Club badges soon.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

We can do that you know.

This is right on Hayley. I too am thrilled with the updating we have been seeing with this site. Three cheers for all the hard work.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Congratulations to admin and moderators for the update and new badges for me smile

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
Quote by hayley
Quote by Survivor

We can do that you know.

I'm still waiting for at least two new badges to get applied to my profile. I'm sure that is simply because Gav has other more important chores to attend to. I'm looking at getting the Famous Story and the Millionaire's Club badges soon.

Of all the accolades that can be awarded I think that the Millionare's Club Badge is absolutely the most awesome. Huge congrats on that award.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by rune
Congratulations to admin and moderators for the update and new badges for me smile

Well done you, beautiful lady
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by hayley
Quote by rune

Well done you, beautiful lady

Thank you so much, Haley you're a sweetheart

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
I would agree to an extent. Since my stories are counted in the hundreds, even 2500 would be an unlikely achievement.

It would appear that I underestimated myself. The first chapter of 'The Nurses' has now exceeded 2500 reads. I am stunned, humbled and yet proud, all at the same time.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Congratulations. That is quite an achievement. Well done, Anna.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Congratulations. That is quite an achievement. Well done, Anna.

Thank you, Larry!