Find your next favourite story now
Login

To post a story or not to post... that is a good question!

last reply
7 replies
5.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hello all,

I know I've been out of the loop and off the grid for some time (well, with occasional visits), but I hope to visit and interact more often.

I am happy to say that I've been working on my novel in progress, and I've even written a few poems and stories too. The question that I've pondered though (that you might have pondered too perhaps) is this:

How do you decide which stories/poems you will post onto Stories Space?

The reason I ask is that there are quite a few competitions and literary submission sites that require a submission of an "unpublished" work. As much as I love Stories Space and the interaction it offers, I realize that I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I just took all of my favorite stories and poems and put them up on this site for review. Suddenly they are deemed "published" and thus ineligible for prize/payment/publication. (Perhaps the Critique's Corner counts as a "writing group" and thus allows for submission elsewhere?)

Has anyone else wrestled with this quandry? Or am I perhaps being naive and/or greedy to assume my work should be earning me something. Maybe instead I should just be happy to share it...
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
0 likes
Quote by DianaShallard
Hello all,

I know I've been out of the loop and off the grid for some time (well, with occasional visits), but I hope to visit and interact more often.

I am happy to say that I've been working on my novel in progress, and I've even written a few poems and stories too. The question that I've pondered though (that you might have pondered too perhaps) is this:

How do you decide which stories/poems you will post onto Stories Space?

The reason I ask is that there are quite a few competitions and literary submission sites that require a submission of an "unpublished" work. As much as I love Stories Space and the interaction it offers, I realize that I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I just took all of my favorite stories and poems and put them up on this site for review. Suddenly they are deemed "published" and thus ineligible for prize/payment/publication. (Perhaps the Critique's Corner counts as a "writing group" and thus allows for submission elsewhere?)

Has anyone else wrestled with this quandry? Or am I perhaps being naive and/or greedy to assume my work should be earning me something. Maybe instead I should just be happy to share it...

Some good questions there, Diana.

For the time being, I'm happy with posting my work here to share and have it read by others, but your concerns are quite valid for anyone who might want to submit to a competition or elsewhere as a literary submission. I don't think you are either naive or greedy to think your work could or should be earning you something. If that is one of your goals it is totally justified, and there are many people who feel that way. There is nothing wrong in wanting that.

The critique group is perhaps akin to a writing group, and it is password protected, since access to it is only available to members of the site who have requested it and only when they are logged in. My feeling is you'd be fine posting work there that you would like feedback on, which would still allow you to submit the same works to other venues. However those folders aren't intended as a substitute to the submitted and approved texts on the front page and in the archives. Those stories, poems and essays are freely available to be read by anyone, either logged in as a member or just surfing the web for stories.

Well done on getting back to the novel you're working on, too!
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by DianaShallard

No, I think you're far from being greedy or naive...I think it's natural for someone who has been writing for any length of time to want to progress, and take that "next step" so to speak...and that would normally involve submitting their work for publication...

When I first started writing back in April 2009, I posted everything I did on writing sites like this one...after about a year and a half though, in September 2010, I decided to give getting published a shot...and yes, the fact that I had posted over 100 stories and poems online definitely put me at a disadvantage...

My advice would be to not post your story here on SS if you think it has a reasonable shot at getting published, and it sounds like that is one of your goals these days...

You can always post your story here on Stories Space after it comes out in a book or journal btw...usually there's a contract involved that might grant the publisher exclusive rights for maybe a year or so at most...but, after that, you can do whatever you want with it...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Not that I'd encourage anyone to engage in subterfuge, but wouldn't hiding the stories help in that situation? I've not pursued publication (yet) but it seems like a simple and elegant solution to me.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
From my limited understanding tells me, sites like this one aren't considered to be published work, but rather more a self help site. We come here with questions about our work, the quality of our work and to see if there is a readership for it.

Personally I would say if you are afraid that publishing what you have wrote here will qualify as published work, then rewrite what you want to sell and post it.

On this site, you are ideally trying to get people to review the quality of your work, not the actual work. If you want editors, I would suggest finding someone who is qualified to be a editor and have them edit your book. It likely will cost you some money or you would have to return the favor by editing their work.

Take for example in my profile, I have a story dealing with a version of Kane and Abel. In this version, I have the story play out as an interview of the events of the book, while the actual book I am writing are a straight story, currently seated at 80,000 words @ 3/4 of the book written. During my editing process I intend to push the book over the 120,000 work goal I set for myself.

I do not consider this book published, even if some of the events play out as they do in the actual book. It is all about having someone check my quality and growth as a writer, then returning to my writings and applying any suggestions which may make it stronger.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Wow, Robert - I never thought of it that way, but yes, if the work changes thanks to edits and feedback, it would be deemed an "unpublished work."

I definitely plan to hire an editor for my novel by the way. I'll be looking for contenders for that job very soon I hope.

Thanks for your insight!
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by DianaShallard
Wow, Robert - I never thought of it that way, but yes, if the work changes thanks to edits and feedback, it would be deemed an "unpublished work."

Wouldn't count on that Diana...and if you do try it, hope you never get caught...editors and publishers hate that sort of thing, and they do talk...this should give you a better idea...

What Is Considered Previously Published Writing?
http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/2010/04/what-is-considered-previously-published-writing/[/size]
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dirty

If this is true, then no one wanting to be published (by a actual company) ought post stories anymore and I might as well forget selling my current book to any publisher. :-(