last reply
367 replies
102k views
2 watchers
1 like
Crazy old ape
0 likes

1177: The Year Civilization Collapsed, Eric Cline

The Bronze Age Collapse has historically been one of the great mysteries of history. While we know that several societies in the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean collapsed or fell on hard times during, roughly, the 12th century BCE, the causes are a source for speculation and debate even today. This book is a good, well-written and up-to-date account of both the collapse and the leadup. Interesting seeing how all the societies from Egypt up through the Levant and Asia Minor to Crete and Mycenean Greece were connected economically and diplomatically in an early form of globalization and then how that all fell apart in the collapse. I am reading the 2021 edition which was updated with new data supporting the core hypothesis, that a massive drought in the Mediterranean and Near East was a major factor. Good book if you're into ancient history or just how civilizations rise and fall.

(And even Cline concedes that the date in the title is mostly his publisher's doing. The collapse actually happened over a period of decades, not in a single year.)

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Denis the Carthusian; Commentary on the Psalms; Vol. 2

I'm still in the Preface of this book but not sure if I'm going to read it yet. If I do, it will be read as a devotional in my spiritual life. The Carthusians are an order of French Monks and their names are unknown, except for Denis who lived long ago. They're known for living lives in silence and solitude. I watched a documentary on the Carthusians awhile ago and if memory serves correct they only converse with each other once a day, or week. I forgot. The Carthusians are a very unique order.

Commentary on the Psalms seems heavy and I think there may be some Latin in it. That doesn't put me off at all. I know some Latin and am going to learn ecclesiastical Latin (there's also classical Latin). The Mass I attend is said in Latin. Anyway, I'm still reading Introduction to a Devout Life, which is very informative. I may be taking on too much but I'll try it out.

Splendor

Dream On competition; dream, imagine, peace

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Cora
learn ecclesiastical Latin (there's also classical Latin)

Yeah, I learned classical Latin (my undergrad is Classical Studies) but I have had the odd opportunity to compare to ecclesiastical Latin and the Vulgate (the dialect used in the Latin Bible).

Quote by Cora
The Mass I attend is said in Latin.

Interesting. I remember that Joseph Campbell, the American mythologist, was actually an advocate for the Latin mass. He felt it created a stronger sense of entering the spiritual world and being apart from the temporal or something like that.

Quote by Cora
The Carthusians are an order of French Monks and their names are unknown, except for Denis who lived long ago.

Never heard of them. Something to look into. Good that you are tackling something on the heavy side in your spiritual practice. Challenging ourselves, or being challenged, is part of the spiritual journey.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Story Moderator
0 likes

I finished two books by T. Kingfisher: What Moves the Dead and A House with Good Bones. They are horror/suspense novels. My son and his girlfriend gave them to me for Christmas. I love that she is into horror. No one in my family is interested in horror except the occasional horror movie. The books are short, so you can read them in one or two sessions. I enjoyed them, and they easily held my attention.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Small Mercies, Dennis Lehane. School busing in Boston in the late 60s. Riviting.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by gillianleeza
T. Kingfisher

Kingfisher is a fairly big name in horror and fantasy nowadays. She's actually a pseudonym for Ursula Vernon, who has had a raft of awards and nominations under both names.

Been reading Verbal's series about hitchhiking through Ontario in the early 80s. Nice memoir.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

I finished Introduction to a Devout Life and recently started Jane Eyre.

Splendor

Dream On competition; dream, imagine, peace

Story Moderator
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Kingfisher is a fairly big name in horror and fantasy nowadays. She's actually a pseudonym for Ursula Vernon, who has had a raft of awards and nominations under both names.

Been reading Verbal's series about hitchhiking through Ontario in the early 80s. Nice memoir.

I did not know about her other name or books. I'm continuing to read more of her books written under the T. Kingfisher moniker. I finished "Nettle and Bones" and "The Twisted Ones."