Find your next favourite story now
Login

Stop by and meet me Sept. 10 at the Sadie Pope Dowdell Library...

last reply
24 replies
27.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Looks my night at the library will be in September...I just got to think of something to say...

I told her I don't mind doing the readings, but not sure how much actual "advice" I have...I will certainly answer any questions though...this will be my first author event btw...so, I have about four months to sit around and get even more nervous...

Will post more stuff related to this as I become aware, such as any mention of it on the site...but, the date looks good...

HELLO
Inbox
x

Elaine Gaber
7:03 PM (10 minutes ago)

to me
Hello Alan,

I hope you’ve been well?

It is less crazy now that we’ve initiated downloadable ebooks at the library!

I think your book of poetry is well written and would be happy to have a “Meet the Author” night; does Tuesday, September 10 work for you?

Would you be able to read some of your poems – including the “We Shall Never Forget (9/11 Tribute)”?

Could part of your program include “tips for writers/poets?”

Regards,
Elaine

Elaine R. Gaber, Director
Sadie Pope Dowdell Library
100 Harold G. Hoffman Plaza
South Amboy, New Jersey 08879

T: 732.721.6060 F: 732.721.1054
Email:
Web: www.dowdell.org
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

0 likes
Four months should give you more than enough time in which to work up a state of nerves. Was that planned by the librarian? Anyway, in that case, I think you should invite Rumple along with you, sort of as a body guard, or straight man, or... well, in four months, the two of you can come up with something, don't you think?
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I really like the idea of bringing Rump along, between his wit, and my wit...we could probably come up with a whole wit...we could undoubtedly dazzle the crowd with something, if not brilliance...and his writerly advice is sort of "special"...

Besides, I could use somebody to help me carry in the liquor...

You don't think there's any chance I could persuade the library director to have open bar that night, do you? Well, I could always bring it up the next time we meet...can't hurt to ask...

0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
I really like the idea of bringing Rump along, between his wit, and my wit...we could probably come up with a whole wit...we could undoubtedly dazzle the crowd with something, if not brilliance...and his writerly advice is sort of "special"...

Besides, I could use somebody to help me carry in the liquor...

You don't think there's any chance I could persuade the library director to have open bar that night, do you? Well, I could always bring it up the next time we meet...can't hurt to ask...

You need to find out which books at the library are the fake, hollowed out ones that only look like they are books, where things can be concealed inside, you know, like liquor bottles.

Rest in Peace
0 likes
I think maybe you need to come along as well Gypsy...maybe I could bring along the whole crew, it could be a real three ring circus...

I might never be allowed back in the library, or in town for that matter...but, it would be fun...

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Congratulations, Alan.

Think of it this way: Four months gives you time enough to perfect your presentation so you aren't a bundle of nerves. Do some open mic poetry readings between now and then too, or maybe even go sing karaoke — anything to help you get used to being up in front of a crowd.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Yeah, I'm not so sure about the karaoke...I don't think I've ever been quite that drunk, and I'm fairly certain nobody who is not severely hearing impaired would put up with my singing...

Thanks for the suggestions though...I'll keep all that in mind...

I haven't really done anything resembling poetry readings as of yet, though I did read the 9/11 poem to my neighbor Scott on the steps of the Somerville library the day I finished it...he's Rover on Stories Space btw...

But yeah, I'll probably be nervous, but I think I'll survive and hopefully it will get easier each time...reminds me of a story someone shared over in a LinkedIn group, I won't mention any names, but he's on my FB friends list...anyway, he decided that for his first poetry reading he needed to consume a bit of "liquid courage" so to speak...and ended up falling off his chair at his first poetry reading...

I'll try not to make that mistake at least...better to look nervous, me thinks...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini

I'll try not to make that mistake at least...better to look nervous, me thinks...

I'm feeling a bit nervous for you already, Mr Martini.

0gEDg5qpO9qG
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
First, Who's Who, and now a reading. Kudos!
When a speaker I'd invited to an event in her honour arrived, she found we'd arranged plentiful consignment copies of her book, available for signing (in that case, from the university bookstore). Any chance something could be set up at the library? Maybe the prospect of sales would help disspell the willies.
Really, happy for you. =d>
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by RedSonja
Maybe the prospect of sales would help disspell the willies.

Oh yeah, thanks RedS...that was the original idea when I approached Elaine back in January...I approached her with the idea of selling the book in the library for $15.00, with $3.00 of that going to the library itself...she said she wanted to read the book first...I believe she had some concerns about content, but apparently I passed...she told me at the time she would want to have a "Meet the author" type event first...

So...yeah, the whole idea is to sell the book in the library...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
I saw this recently, and was reminded that my own "Meet The Author" event is less than two months away...I guess you never really know what might happen at these things...

0 likes
Hmmm a door prize... and relatively close by. I might have to take up on this offer...
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by 3rebels4
Hmmm a door prize... and relatively close by. I might have to take up on this offer...

That would be wonderful Gwen if you stopped by...this is a bit more than the usual book signing-type event, with the whole tie to the 9/11 thing and all that...be interesting to see who shows up...

I just sent Elaine an e-mail...just trying to figure out what time the whole thing starts, as it doesn't say in either that post or the Facebook event...little details like that could matter...

Facebook Event - Sadie Pope Dowdell Library - Remembering Patriot's Day
https://www.facebook.com/events/153920651478354/[/size]

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Sticking this here, as I might with all the adverts...and the event does start at 6:30PM, in case anyone is wondering...

Patriot’s Day: Meet Alan W. Jankowski
http://events.bestofnj.com/event/patriots-day-meet-alan-w-jankowski

And yeah, I submitted this myself, in case you're wondering how these things show up...and why it switches to first person btw...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Alright, made the little local papers in the area...the paper I had an article in last year...

Suburban
http://sub.gmnews.com/news/2013-08-29/Bulletin_Board/Poet_to_read_tribute_to_911_attacks.html

And the sister paper serving East Brunswick and surrounding areas...

Sentinel
http://eb.gmnews.com/news/2013-08-29/Bulletin_Board/Poet_to_read_tribute_to_911_attacks_Sept_10.html

And the prestigious South Amboy Times...actually, I don't think I even knew there was a South Amboy Times until my name came up in a Google search...but yeah, there is...I'm on page 12 btw...

South Amboy Times
http://www.thesatimes.com/SATaug13FINALsmall.pdf

And now New Jersey Monthly...

New Jersey Monthly
http://njmonthly.com/events/28341.html

And the Amboy Guardian got my middle initial wrong...but, the rest looks decent...

Amboy Guardian - Summer Winners at Dowdell Library
http://www.amboyguardian.com/2013/09/06/summer-winners-at-dowdell-library/

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Alright, as if I don't have enough pressure...columnist Eva Abreu just contacted me about filming this whole thing...pass the vodka...now...

"Hi Alan, had anyone contacted you about doing a video of your poetry reading? I would love to do an exclusive for Home News Tribune and Courier News website (MyCentralJersey.com)."

Eva Abreu - MyCentralJersey.com
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/section/NJCOLUMNIST13/Eva-Abreu[/size]

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Here is a video interview done the afternoon of September 8, 2013...about 3:00PM in front of City Hall here in South Amboy, and released two days later...the interview is a bit more somber than I would have preferred...we stopped in the police station to let them know what we were doing in front of City Hall, and the officer on duty told a story about how he was alive only because of a shift change a few days before 9/11...everyone he worked with on his old shift died in the towers...well, you know...things got off to a solemn start...

Eva Abreu is Social Media Editor for The Courier News, Home News Tribune, and The Daily Record...she thinks other press people may try to contact me after this...that remains to be seen...

Note also mention of a famous red site...and check out the martini glass shirt...it is actually a Three Olives Vodka shirt...

We Shall Never Forget (9-11 Tribute Poem)
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/videos/life/2014/07/25/13185429/

I found out the library posted the video on their blog as well...

Meet local author Alan W. Jankowski
http://dowdell.org/wordpress/2013/09/10/meet-local-author-alan-w-jankowski/

Rest in Peace
0 likes

MyCentralJersey.com added my poem to the video today...I don't think it's the same link as above...btw, you can tell I'm totally nervous in that video...try to count how many times I use the word "actually" in that interview...even I'm not usually that bad...

We Shall Never Forget (9-11 Tribute)
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20130911/NJNEWS/130911002

On another related note...I'm guest blogger today on Lucy Pireel's blog, where I talk about everything you always wanted to know about my 9/11 poem, but were afraid to ask...you can see close ups of those documents I'm holding in the video...

How to Honour the Heroes or 9/11 by Alan Jankowski
http://lucypireel.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/how-to-honour-the-heroes-or-911-by-alan-jankowski/

Yeah, I'll be posting more pictures and video of the actual author event later...I did the same explanation to the audience I did in the video...well, sort of...note the unabashed enthusiasm on my face in this picture btw...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Here's some more photos from my first author event...this one is at the beginning, before it started...me talking to library director Elaine Gaber...

Apparently in deep thought here...either that, or I forgot what I was going to say...

Oh wait...maybe this is the deep thought picture...I made sure I wrote down anything I read btw...wouldn't want to accidentally read the same story or poem twice...

I have my hand out here...either for dramatic effect...or maybe I'm just pointing the way to the rest room or something...don't recall at the moment...

And finally...the first ever public reading of my 9/11 poem...by me anyway...is now up on YouTube...I think it's not quite as strong as I would have preferred, as there was a decision to move it to the end of the event, for the benefit of people who may have walked in late...I had originally intended to read it at the beginning, and I think my voice was giving out a bit after reading for more than an hour straight...but, how I intend it to be read, in my mind, comes across clearly...check it out my friends...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Excellent.

I feared the worst with the video report - but you came across very well.

Well done.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by steffanie

I feared the worst with the video report - but you came across very well.

Hey Steff...yeah, I feared the worst as well...I was very nervous, and to get an idea as to just how nervous I actually was, try to count how many times I use the word "actually" in that four minute video...it's actually a nervous habit I have, I'm actually not that bad actually in normal life...actually...ahem...

Anyway...here's a list of what I actually read during the reading, though the order got changed...as noted, I read the 9/11 poem last, instead of first, for instance...but, I did have a list I made shortly before show time...I tried not to plan this whole thing too far in advance...I figured the less scripted I made this whole thing, the less chance of me getting too nervous and screwing up...so, it was mostly "off the cuff" so to speak...

1. We Shall Never Forget (9-11 Tribute)
2. The Facebook Poem
3. Happiness And Purpose
4. The Birthday Party
5. Under Darkness Of Night
6. Grandpa
7. Relatives
8. I Had A Dream
9. The Best You Ever Had
10. For Trayvon (May your death not be in vain)
11. Please Tell Me That You Can Stay
12. Steal This Poem
13. Sexual Healing
14. We Started As Friends

I started the actual reading about 6:35PM, and it ran up until about 7:35PM...so, over an hour of fairly continuous talking on my part...I prefaced everything with a bit of a story as to how each piece came about...

Rest in Peace
0 likes
A couple of more pictures turned up from this event...here's one with me and Elaine Gaber, director of the library...and she's holding my book...what impeccable taste that gal has...

Here's another one that turned up recently...notice that they put me in a corner in the kid's room btw...note that scary looking stuffed thing lurking above my head...enough to give a guy nightmares...