Anyone else doing NaNoWriMo 2013?

last reply
5 replies
4.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It took me a full year to write the 69,000 words of my first novel.

I figure I'll let it marinate while I work on the next novel. And for that, I'm trying to meet the 50,000 words in one month during NaNoWriMo. I've never tried this before, and I'm already behind on my wordcount, but I've realized I'm a deadline-driven kind of gal, and so it can't hurt to try.

LMK if you're attempting this feat as well. We can offer encouragement perhaps.

And if anyone has participated in previous NaNoWriMo, kudos to you! Any tips or words of advice are welcome.

Thx,
Diana
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
Administration
0 likes
I did attempt it last year, but I ran dry at around 10,000 words. Would've loved to try it again, but I have too much going on right now. Will do next year.

Oh and good luck, it's loads of fun.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something
I don't have a novel in me yet, let alone one in a month.

Me either, Good luck, enjoy the experience.
"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
"If you really want to make a difference, don't over think it, just do it..."
"Scars of life are deeply etched within the minds of curious old souls."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Whew! I did it! I got my novel done - well the shitty draft at least. I just barely eeked out the 50,000 words by Nov. 30th, but it's there. I'll have to delete many scenes and add a few, but I'm actually pleased with where it went.

So, now I have TWO very rough drafts to revise and edit. I am mostly in the dark on how to do that (keep the treasures and kill the trash - and not vice versa), but I'll give it a whirl.

If anyone wants to try the NaNo stuff in the future (camps, etc.), I'd encourage it. Writing daily and diligently worked best for me. (I tend to be deadline driven.) And it helped that I am now eligible for a 50% discount on Scrivener. So I consider that added payment of sorts. ;-)
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
As a five-year Wrimo, I really can't praise NaNo enough. It's a wild challenge, but so much fun. Probably helps that my region, OCGR-Michigan, is super active in chat room and forums and IRL (we adopt everybody across the world, don't be shy!).

My current NaNo work is at 87K and needs another 60K or so to be to completion. Had to drop out at 37K this year because of tendonitis (NOOOOOOO), but the prior four years were all 50K years.

In all reality, it's a great thing. Next year, do it. Or do Camp NaNoWriMo in July or August... or if you like script writing, Script Frenzy is in April (100 pages of script). Kids can do Young Writer's Program. Seriously. They do great things. biggrin

-slides off of exceptionally high pedestal proudly proclaiming NaNoWriMo as a wonderful thing... okay really, off the soapbox now-
National Novel Writing Month participant 2009-2013, winner 2009-2012
Senior at Michigan State University