Find your next favourite story now
Login

New Writing Goals of 2012 - How Did You Fare With Them?

last reply
5 replies
3.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
As this year is so close to finishing, I wondered how the year in writing new work has been for the authors here.

Did you have any goals to produce new work at the beginning of 2012, and have you achieved them? I'm referring to entirely new stories, poems, essays etc, not edited and reworked versions of texts already written and posted here or published elsewhere. All new stuff.

Any works in progress? If so, how is that going? Any cases of serious writer's block? Can we help in any way to get you past that?

I am such a very slow and careful writer that I can honestly say I have surpassed my meagre goals as they were at the beginning of 2012. I finished First Run of the Day literally at the beginning of the year, and it was posted on January 3rd. After that, I wrote and published two new poems, another story, two musing pieces and two pieces of micro fiction. I'm rather pleased with the output, since at the beginning of the year I had no expectations of getting much writing accomplished!

I'm also very pleased because two of my stories are available in wonderful audio versions, thanks to the talent of Andrew - circle_something - and Maggie Rascal. Thank you both again. Hearing you read my texts helps me to encounter my own work in a way that would not be possible otherwise.

Meanwhile I have two stories started and in the long slow process of being written, and have three or four plot ideas in mind. I've also done a fair amount of proof-reading, editing and critiquing for other writers, helping them to fine tune their stories, texts and poems. There is a degree of challenge and creativity in that which I dearly love. Quite often, it helps me to get over a minor slump or block in relation to my own work.

I would love to finish another story before the end of this year, but with the holiday season so close, doubt I will have the free time and attention to do so. But you never know...

So, how about the writers here? It would be great to hear how people have done and how they are feeling about the work they've produced in 2012.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes

What a great topic!

Quote by gypsymoth
As this year is so close to finishing, I wondered how the year in writing new work has been for the authors here.

Did you have any goals to produce new work at the beginning of 2012, and have you achieved them? I'm referring to entirely new stories, poems, essays etc, not edited and reworked versions of texts already written and posted here or published elsewhere. All new stuff.

My portfolio of new writing in 2012 far exceeds my expectations in volume, exceeds my expectations in diversity of topics, and meets my expectations in quality of work. Stretching myself as a writer was my No. 1 goal for 2012, and I definitely accomplished that. I posted 13 new pieces in six different categories here: one each in Micro Fiction, Humor and Memoirs, two in Flash Fiction and Drama, and six in Poetry (some of which were written in styles I hadn't used previously).

The real surprise to me this year is that I entered five writing contests, placing in one of them (and the jury is still out on another). My competition entries are as follows.

The End: Drama - 5,438 words - written for the Stories Space "New Beginnings" contest in March 2012. Although the story didn't place in the contest, it was well received by readers and drew notice from creative writing professionals, especially for its nuanced character development.

The Crèche: Drama - 2,874 words - written for the Second Wind Publishing "Second Helpings" anthology contest in June 2012. While it was among the top 30 entries, the story wasn't selected as a finalist. I believe it is my best work of the year, however.

Six-Word Stories: Five stories - 30 words total - written for The Six-Word Story Prize put on by Fleeting Magazine in September 2012. My entries failed to place.

The Fantastic Voyage of Bellingham Sam: Humor - 2,397 words - written for the Stories Space "Summer Vacation" contest in September 2012. Received second place.

The Hinge (Rhymes with Thing): Flash Fiction - 804 / 744 words - written in November 2012; revised for submission to the Women on Writing Fall 2012 Flash Fiction Contest. Judging is under way and finalists have not been announced.

Quote by gypsymoth
Any works in progress? If so, how is that going?

My first children's story will be finished and posted soon.

It is also possible I may crank out one or two more flash fiction/micro fiction pieces by year's end.

Quote by gypsymoth
Any cases of serious writer's block? Can we help in any way to get you past that?

While it may not seem to be the case given all the progress listed above, writer's block is always a problem for me. Usually, I just have to let a problem stew for a while and eventually a solution will present itself.

Quote by gypsymoth
I've also done a fair amount of proof-reading, editing and critiquing for other writers, helping them to fine tune their stories, texts and poems.

Yes you have, especially for me. I think I've only posted three items without asking you to read them beforehand, and your critique and suggestions have improved my writing considerably. Thank you.

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth

You started this thread just to embarrass me...didn't you? My actual output of new work did not meet my expectations at the beginning of the year, the total amount being a grand total of six poems for the year...though half of those will be considered legitimately "published" by P&W by the end of the year...

As far as other writing related stuff goes, and you mentioned something about editing and the like...I recently got my first editing credit for a book...

The Vine Keeper
http://www.amazon.com/The-Vine-Keeper-ebook/dp/B009WFR6DS/ref=sr_1_2_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354843987&sr=1-2

Admittedly, it was more proofreading than editing, but something different for me...and Bill sent me a nice signed copy of the book recently btw...

I was kept pretty busy most of this year with not only writing related stuff, but deaths, hurricanes, some health issues, and other real life stuff...

I can't really complain as a writer though...my own book coming out this year was something I hadn't anticipated at the beginning of the year...and btw, I Often Wonder, a collection of poetry and prose by Alan W. Jankowski would make a great holiday gift for anyone you know who reads...(insert shameless promo here)...oh wait, I just did...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I've done loads more writing than I expected I would. I even had writers block, but talking to people and not letting it get me down was key. Really helped. I think I've improved as a writer, actually and it was because of the help of my friends and one very helpful moderator in particular, please ladies and gents give a hand to the wonderful Gypsymoth. A very special and thankful honorable mention goes to Daisy for helping me with the punctuation of my poetry, without her, it may have turned into an even more incoherent mess.

I didn't go into this year with many clear writing goals, but they just kinda happened. I had the fortune to meet some great people who challenged me, so that was fun. What I did learn was to take a step back, especially when editing and just take my time to make sure everything is just right. Sure, I should have known about all that, but I got cocky and sloppy.

One of my more clear goals was to start writing non-erotica, which is why I made my account here. Well, actually I made my account here to score and comment on a story that I read and loved, but I decided to start writing non-erotica again, too. I think I've managed to succeed in the goal of writing non-erotica and hope to improve more.

I have a few works in progress and they seem to be going well enough. I always wanted to do a story with two narrators and I did that. I even wrote a poem in the same vein. OK, so I didn't quite nail it, but I tried and learned some lessons from it.

I even entered a writing competition on the other site. Didn't win a damned thing, but I didn't expect to, for reasons that I just won't go into here. Still, it was always an ambition of mine to enter a writing competition and I finally worked up the courage and confidence to do so.

Another thing I did was explore my feelings. Lots of them. Hope I didn't come off as too emo, but even if I did, I don't really care. Catharsis is the thing that I was trying for and succeeded in that, at least.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Ooh this is an excellent topic, and I just stumbled upon it. Any thread going for 2013 goals? Dare we write them down and hold ourselves accountable?

Mine - I really really really want to finish the draft of my first novel - ideally by June! I've got almost 18,000 words written and the ideas are there, but I'm so easily distracted and overwhelmed. Plus I enjoy dabbling in short stories and poetry too. Sigh.

So, feel free to pester me and ask about my WIP word count. I'll do the same for any of you who want to share your big goals for 2013.
“Play the sunset."
― Mr. Holland (played by Richard Dreyfuss) on "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Find my fan page on Facebook "Diana Shallard" and follow me on Twitter too! https://twitter.com/DianaShallard
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something

One of my more clear goals was to start writing non-erotica, which is why I made my account here. Well, actually I made my account here to score and comment on a story that I read and loved, but I decided to start writing non-erotica again, too. I think I've managed to succeed in the goal of writing non-erotica and hope to improve more.

Just a note here...I started out writing by writing erotica, on another site, of course...personally, I think writing non-erotic stories is far more challenging...another very talented writer I know, who goes by the name LennyTheLion, and some here will know her...anyway, she made the comment to me back in 2009 that "anyone can write a sex story"...and I think she's right to a large extent...write some trivial piece where two people meet and have sex, and bingo...you have a sex story...in an erotic story, sex is the clear goal...anything on top of that, though a big plus, is sort of "going above and beyond" if you know what I mean...

Quote by Circle_Something

Another thing I did was explore my feelings. Lots of them. Hope I didn't come off as too emo, but even if I did, I don't really care. Catharsis is the thing that I was trying for and succeeded in that, at least.

Writing can be very cathartic...and if you've succeeded in that...well, I think that is success indeed...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...