The 'Ending' as a Topic

last reply
1 reply
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would love to hear other writers' thoughts on the 'Ending'.

Is your story ending decided before you put 'pen to paper', or does the story reveal the ending to you only as it unfolds on paper (or screen)... and more to the point, which endings do you prefer to write and or read and how do they effect you?

Although there are many reasons I wonder about this aspect of story telling, I am compelled to admit that although I love a happy ending, it often eludes me and I find myself compelled to use a sad ending. I feel it adds 'impact' and 'remembrance', yet often feel that I may subconsciously use it to finalize the relationship created between writer and character. Beyond the aspect of 'happy' and 'sad' endings, I admit being most drawn to others' use of a bittersweet ending that creates an emotional roller-coaster of emotions.

How important is the ending to you as you write and how does it come into play with your own writer/character relationship?
Please read A Gilded Cage and tell me what you think... Really!
0 likes
Well, for me as I do start planning my stories I sometimes get so wrapped up with the conclusion that I have it all planned out. It alters slightly as I progress into the story to that point. It's hard to keep the characters not knowing the end because you do. Other times I talk out the endings with some of my fellow writer friends in RL.
For me, I decided on the path of a really tragic end. I'm just so tired of the happily ever after bit. And sure my endings can be quite sad, but I leave a little bit of hope in there, tor things to get better. (Not saying it will. Hahaha)
The ending is very important to me. You need a strong beginning to ensnare the reader, a filling middle to satisfy the reader, and a grand unique ending that will leave a reader 1) wanting more, 2) happy they read the book, and 3) thinking about it for a long time afterwards.