Login

Whose "Wife"? Who is She?

last reply
4 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Recently I listened to a discussion between two writers, both women. One of them asked the other about some of the recent trends in fiction that irk her. Her response was the use in book titles of "The ------'s Wife" - fill in the blank with any number of nouns. She claimed that it has burgeoned recently and each time she sees such a title, she wonders why the story and title cannot be about the woman herself.

This bemused me, not having noticed it before, but naturally, I now seem to find such titles on a regular basis. There is "The Tiger's Wife", "The Aviator's Wife", "The Shoemaker's Wife" and many many more. Go to Amazon and type "the 's wife" in the search bar. I was amazed at just how many titles that pulled up.

How important is this? Is it just a literary thing of the moment, or is it indicative of something more engrained in society? I think I found the answer to that today, in the following article at The New Yorker's web site. The title The Problem of the “Architect’s Wife - caught my eye - how could it not? The article explores the situation of Denise Scott Brown, and is well worth reading. It served to prove to me just how often "the wife" is seen in the possesive case, in relation to the husband, and sadly, art is merely imitating life.

Some excerpts from the article follow:

Quote by Gareth Cook - The New Yorker

In 1991, the Philadelphia architect Robert Venturi was honored with the Pritzker Prize, the profession’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize...

When Venturi got the Pritzker phone call, though, his surprised reaction was to ask: What about Denise? “Denise” is Denise Scott Brown, who had been Venturi’s intellectual collaborator since the early nineteen-sixties, and a partner in the firm since 1969, deeply involved in everything it had done. Scott Brown was the one who’d been drawn to Las Vegas, who set in motion the project that culminated in “Learning from Las Vegas,” who created the studio class, which led to the book that influenced a generation of architecture students. (“Learning” was co-authored by Scott Brown, Venturi, and Steven Izenour.) More importantly, the ideas at the heart of Venturi, Scott Brown—the notions that bucked modernism and reconnected American architecture with older traditions—were developed by the two as a team, or, as Scott Brown has put it, as “a joint creativity.” But Scott Brown was a woman and, worse still, married to Venturi. (When it came to the perception of outsiders, “architect’s wife” trumped “architect.”)...

Scott Brown came to America in 1958, and in 1960 she met Venturi at a University of Pennsylvania faculty meeting. They shared many interests: social responsibility, maverick thought, Italian culture and architecture, especially mannerism. Two years later, they were teaching courses together. He told her about insights from Princeton’s Donald Drew Egbert; she encouraged him to go deep into Edwin Lutyens. They scanned each other’s reading lists, critiqued each other’s writing and drawing, argued with and inspired each other. Their work became the joint product. Scott Brown joined his firm in 1967, the year they were married, and became a partner in 1969.

In an essay titled “Sexism and the Star System in Architecture,” Scott Brown describes how, from the very beginning, the couple struggled against a strong pressure to turn the husband into a guru, and the wife into a footnote. They took pains to describe their individual contributions to new work, only to watch critics refer to it as “Venturi’s.” Journalists, students, and others often insisted on talking to Venturi; the two would try to explain that they were equal partners, but the attitude seemed unshakable. “They cannot get that out of their heads,” she told me. “Whatever you say to them, they say, ‘Well, she must be something else. Maybe a planner, maybe a typist, maybe she takes photographs. It has to be something else!’ ”

The full article can be read here: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/04/what-about-denise.html[/size]
Story Moderator
0 likes
Probably just my contrary nature, but the first book title that popped into what passes for my mind was, "Galileo's Daughter."

From a marketing standpoint, I suppose it makes sense. Odds are "The Cloistered Nun's Father' wouldn't have the been as eye-catching.

Like most fads, literary or otherwise, odds are it will eventually fade.

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Whether confined to books or a reflection of societal attitudes, it is a disturbing trend. Not only does it imply possession, but it strips the "wife" of her own identity. Is being someone's wife the thing makes a woman interesting enough to write a book about, or is there something about her that could pique our interest?

And that business about the architect and her husband is just shameful.

Here are some of the results of the search Gypsy suggested on Amazon (the 's wife):

The Tycoon's Convenient Wife by Ros Clarke

The Aviator's Wife: A Novel by Melanie Benjamin

The Shoemaker's Wife: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani

• Eat Healthy with the Brain Doctor's Wife Cookbook by Tana Amen and B.S.N.
So I could write a book and claim that my husband's line of work makes me an expert?

The Candidate's Wife by Isabella Ashe

Ahab's Wife: Or, The Star-gazer: A Novel (P.S.) by Sena Jeter Naslund and Christopher Wormell
Being Ahab's wife is much more relevant than being a star-gazer, apparently.

The Duke's Willful Wife by Elizabeth Lennox
Willful? As in a willful child? How insulting!

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

THE AMBASSADOR'S WIFE (An Inspector Samuel Tay Novel) by Jake Needham

The Tiger's Wife: A Novel by Téa Obreht

The Warrior's Wife by Denise Domning

The Anatomist's Wife (A Lady Darby Mystery) by Anna Lee Huber

The Assassin's Wife by Roger Weston

The Earl's Inconvenient Wife (Regency Collection Book 1) by Ruth Ann Nordin

The Inquisitor's Wife: A Novel of Renaissance Spain by Jeanne Kalogridis

The Mortician's Wife by Maralee Lowder

The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham

The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Diane Ackerman

The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy

The Sea Captain's Wife: A Novel by Beth Powning

Whether they're convenient, inconvenient, willful, star-gazing or otherwise, clearly the most important thing about all these women is that they're wives.

Yeah, right.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Although it does appear to be a current fad, I don't see it as disturbing in its use. The stories should not about just 'being a wife', and hopefully are about the unique experiences being married to 'that' person has brought her... experiences that otherwise might have never been.

I view a title that uses "The *** Wife" as a story about how a woman's life was shaped by being married to a ***; just as I would view a similar title of "The *** Husband".
The story "The President's Wife" could be just as well written, enjoyable and perhaps educational as "The President's Husband".
Please read A Gilded Cage and tell me what you think... Really!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
This is too tempting a prompt, Gypsy.

"The Engineer's Wife" will hopefully be my contribution.

Or

"The Angler's Wife"

Or

"The Golfer's Wife"

Or

"The Footballer's Wife"

Or ALL four + a sexy one.
Lurker
0 likes
What to Look for in a Hard Drive That You Are Purchasing?
When you are going to <a href="">buy laptop hard drive</a>, it is extremely important to look for one that is going to be fast and large enough to accommodate all of your files and data needs. It
<br>Yeah, it's just what I need, I'm about to have a new one
<br>I always use Dell Hard Disk Drives, what about you, guys?
<br>Gateway!!!lol