Login

First Author's Publish of 2024 - 44 Themed Submission calls

last reply
1 reply
1 watcher
1 like
Crazy old ape
1 like

Quite a mixed bag as usual. Not just markets seeking submissions but a long list of contests, awards, fellowships, etc.

https://authorspublish.com/44-themed-submission-calls-and-contests-for-january-2024/

A couple samples of ones that caught my eye. First is The Cosmic Background, which is a flash fiction magazine.

"We are primarily a slipstream publication — that means we like your stories that don’t make a ton of sense. We want your giant talking frogs. We want your people with unexplained, never commented-upon eyes in their fingertips. We enjoy character-focused writing, with an emphasis on voice."

And for the anthology And One Day We Will Die, which is looking for stories inspired by the music of a band called Neutral Milk Hotel (Mangum is the founder and songwriter of the band it seems).

“Look at the inspiration material. Mangum’s surreal, opaque, and stream of consciousness writing draws inspiration from childhood fantasies, historical events (including the life and death of Anne Frank), sexual tensions, tarot, and more. Night terrors and lucid dreaming also proved a rich vein for lyrical inspiration. These songs feature characters that could be denizens of Weird and dark fantasy tales already, with names like “The King of Carrot Flowers” and “The Two-Headed Boy.”"

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

And a Canadian outfit called Celticfrog (great name) is doing a Bigfoot-themed anthology, which is something that I have always wanted to write a story about. Deadline is Feb. 1 so I might just take a stab at submitting, my muse willing. Pays decently. CAD$100, could be more if the Kickstarter they will be running in February does well.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.