Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Time and Tide

"“Hattie!” she shouted out with excitement. “You didn't!”"

9
13 Comments 13
1.5k Views 1.5k
4.4k words 4.4k words

“Ronnie, I got them!”

Harriet Mitchell bounded up the steps to her friend's front door waving a nondescript white envelope above her head.

“They came this morning!”

Veronica Pickles, 'Ronnie' to her friends stood in the open doorway of her Belgravia town house, a puzzled frown on her pretty, young face.

“What came this morning, Hattie?”

Harriet's face was flushed with excitement as she thrust the envelope into Veronica's hand.

“The tickets, silly! For our cruise! Have you forgotten?”

Ronnie thought hard. She and Harriet had been friends since they met on the first day of kindergarten some thirty years ago. They were so close they were almost like sisters apart from the fact that Harriet had thick, flame red hair and Veronica had long straight, chestnut brown hair.

They were similar in height and build, both around five feet seven and slightly built.

They generally shared the same thoughts but, this time, Harriet had the better of her. Try as she might, Ronnie could not remember anything about booking a cruise together.

She turned the plain white envelope over and lifted the flap which had already been opened.

Inside were two tickets printed in the old Edwardian style. The logo, written across the top of each ticket stated, 'Blue Star Line'.

“Hattie!” she shouted out with excitement. “You didn't!”

Harriet looked at her and nodded.

“I did.”

“But that was ten years ago!”

“I know. I told you that if the Titanic II project ever became a reality I would get tickets and it has.”

Ronnie turned the tickets over.

“We leave Southampton on the Tenth of April? But that's the same day the original sailed. A hundred and six years before.”

“Uh huh. That's the point of the whole thing. They are going to recreate the original voyage... without the iceberg, of course.”

Veronica felt a chill run up her spine and shivered.

“I never really thought it would happen...”

Harriet frowned.

“You do still want to go, don't you? I mean, those tickets cost me over four thousand pounds...”

Ronnie took a deep breath and smiled.

“Yes. Yes, Hattie, I absolutely do. You know how much I love reading about those old liners.”

Harriet breathed a sigh of relief.

“There is nothing to worry about, of course. Although it looks like the original, Titanic II is a very modern ship with all the navigational aids that the original never had and...” she paused for effect, “...it has enough lifeboats!”

Ronnie stared down at the tickets.

“We're really going to do it?” Slowly a smile appeared on her face which became a wide grin. “We're really going to do it! Hattie, you're the best friend ever!”

She threw her arms around her friend's neck and the two of them danced a jig on the tiled floor in front of the door.

 

~}{~

 

The tenth of April finally arrived and Veronica and Harriet arrived at Southampton at Eight that morning. When they stepped out of the taxi on the quayside they just stood and stared in awe of the huge vessel. It was considerably smaller that the new 'Queens'. Mary the second, Elizabeth and Victoria but, nevertheless, it's majesty was obvious.

Totally unnoticed, the driver had taken their four big suitcases from the estate car and was waiting patiently. He had said something but neither had heard, their attention being given solely to the magnificent, if somewhat eerie ship before them. It looked out of place somehow, as though it had been transported there from a different time, an era of ocean voyages long before the jet age had all but put and end to them.

“Ahem.” The taxi driver cleared his throat. He was waiting to leave.

“Oh, yes. Sorry, I was miles away,” Ronnie told him, taking five twenty pound notes from her purse and passing then to him. “Thank you,” she said, waving away the change.

The driver looked once more at the black, white and buff ship and shook his head.

“It's like a ghost,” he said and then added, “Have a safe voyage, Ladies. I mean it.”

The girls looked at each other and laughed.

“Morbid Tyke!” they said simultaneously then took two handles each and, laughing happily, dragged the heavy cases into the departure lounge.

 

There was no delay. Their passports and documents were checked and their cases taken from them to be sent directly to their cabin.

Once aboard, Veronica and Harriet were shown to their second class cabin by a white uniformed steward. They barely heard a word he said as he led them along the wood effect, panelled corridor. So enthralled were they at the similarity between this brand new ship and its predecessor of over one hundred years before, that mere words just passed them by.

“Ronnie, look at this room. It's fantastic!”

Harriet just stood and stared at everything, turning only her head to take in the two bunks, one above the other and the typically Titanic furniture. Although a modern variation which the Second class cabins originally didn't have, the en-suite bathroom was furnished in the same Edwardian style with brass taps and fittings and free-standing bath. The vanity wash basin was housed in a wooden style cabinet in the main room in the same place as the original would have been.

“It really is like stepping back in time, isn't it?” her friend replied.

Suddenly, Veronica grabbed her arm.

“Come on, Hattie, let's explore! We can unpack later!

 

~}{~

 

Just as her predecessor had, more than a century earlier, the second ship to bear the Titanic name slipped it's moorings and began the first leg of its maiden voyage. Its first destination, Cherbourg planned for a little over six hours.

The departure had attracted a mass of spectators and press, just as the original had on its own departure only this time there were mobile phones being held aloft and TV crews filming whilst reporters talked into microphones, detailing this momentous occasion. The passengers, again as on that fateful day in Nineteen-Twelve, lined the railings and waved and cheered until they were too far away so be heard or seen. One by one they drifted away in their own little groups until only Harriet and Veronica were left at the rail.

“This is wonderful, Hattie. I'm so glad you remembered. If it hadn't been for all the modern stuff on the dock I would have felt as though I had gone back in time.”

Harriet didn't move but her eyes remained fixed on the receding shore line.

“Have we done the right thing, Hattie?” Veronica asked her friend. “Are we tempting the fates by doing this?”

Harriet stared at her.

“It's not like you to be superstitious,” she replied. “Times have moved on since nineteen-twelve. They have all the modern equipment on board. There'll be no lookouts you know.”

“Huh, so did the Costa Concordia and we all know what happened to that.”

Harriet frowned.

“Are you all right, Ronnie? I mean, if it troubles you so much we can still get off at Calais or Queenstown.”

“No, no. Ignore me, I am just being silly. Maybe the atmosphere is more authentic than I imagined it would be.”

“Come on, let's unpack. We'll take a little rest and then see what else this wonderful ship has to offer.

 

-}{-

 

Four days later and the conversation at the deck rail was but a distant memory. Veronica and Hattie soon got into the spirit of the voyage and had even brought several period dresses to make the trip even more authentic.

On the evening of the fourth day, Veronica and Harriet had dressed in ball gowns as there was to be a grand dance that night.

“Can we go down the grand staircase, Hattie. I would love to do that in this dress.”

Harriet laughed.

“Of course! As if we wouldn't!”

So, about half an hour later, the two awestruck girls stood at the top, ready to make the grand entrance that such an occasion demanded.

As they descended the first, shorter staircase, they marvelled at the huge space around them. It was exactly as they remembered from the pictures they had seen so many times. The same white linoleum tiles on the floor, the ornately carved finials and posts. Harriet nudged her friend.

“Can you imagine,” she said, “If this was the original ship we wouldn't have seen any of this, having only second class tickets!”

“Yes, times have certainly changed,” Veronica replied as she stepped out onto the second, large staircase. She marvelled at the huge stained glass dome and the perfect replica of the original chandelier.

Unfortunately, because she wasn't paying attention, she hadn't noticed that the heel of her period style shoe had caught in the hem of her dress and as she went to place her foot on the next step she was thrown forwards and tumbled heavily to the bottom.

When she came to, she was lying on a bed in what appeared to be a hospital room. An officer in immaculately white uniform was holding her wrist and timing her pulse with a pocket watch.

“Ah,” he said gently when she opened her eyes. “You are back with us.”

Veronica looked around.

“Where am I?” she asked. “What happened and why does my head hurt so much?”

“You are in the infirmary, I'm afraid. I am the Assistant Surgeon, Doctor John Simpson. Apparently you tripped at the top of the grand staircase. Do you remember?”

“Erm... no, actually. The last thing I remember is looking up at the chandelier.”

The doctor frowned.

Veronica couldn't help but notice how strikingly handsome the doctor was. He had really taken the time to fit in with the era. She estimated that he was in his mid to late thirties with neatly trimmed short, dark hair and a moustache which was twisted to a point at either end.

“Do you know what the date is today?” he asked.

“Yes, of course, I do. Don't you?”

The doctor smiled and Veronica was sure that her heart missed a beat.

“Yes, I do. It is just to check that you are not concussed. You did bang your head rather hard on the floor, you know and you were unconscious for quite a while.”

“Oh, I see,” she replied, feeling a little embarrassed at the flippancy of her answer.

The doctor waited.

“So...” he said eventually.

Veronica frowned again and then realised what he wanted.

“Oh, yes. Sorry. Fourteenth of April,” she quickly replied.

The doctor smiled again.

“Good. And the year?”

Veronica raised her eyes in mock exasperation.

“Twenty-eighteen of course!” and smiled happily. She couldn't help herself. When she found a man she liked she always flirted. It was how she was.

The smile vanished from the doctors face and he asked again.

“I'm sorry, did you say Twenty-eighteen?”

Veronica laughed.

“No, I'm sorry. I didn't think the role play extended to medical incidents.”

“Miss Pickles, this is not a joke. Concussion can be very serious, life threatening. Please, tell me today's date without any playing around.”

Veronica was abashed. The doctor's tone had changed so suddenly that she was now ashamed that she had made light of this situation.

“I'm sorry,” she apologised. “It's the fourteenth of April, two thousand and eighteen.”

The doctor stared at her, his look so serious that now she was worried that she had done some damage to herself.

“What?” she asked slowly. “What's wrong?”

“Miss Pickles, it is nineteen hundred and twelve.”

“Doctor Simpson!” she scolded him. “You just told me off for being flippant!”

The doctor remained serious and Veronica began to be concerned. She propped herself up on her elbows and immediately her head throbbed with a dull ache.

Doctor Simpson placed his hand gently on her shoulder.

“Please, lay back and relax,” he said gently. I need to do some tests.”

She did as she was bid and lay back but whilst the doctor's finger moved in front of her eyes, her mind was beginning to churn.

“Doctor Simpson!” she said suddenly.

The doctor stopped what he was doing.

“Yes?” he said.

“Doctor John Edward Simpson!”

The doctor straightened up.

“That's right,” he said carefully. “How do you know?”

“I read about you on the internet. And this ship is...”

“Inter what?” the doctor exclaimed.

“Never mind. What is this ship?”

“Titanic. My my! You did bang your head...”

“The Second?” Veronica interrupted.

The doctor looked worried and shook his head very slowly

“Not to my knowledge,” he replied, “I am not aware of another ship named Titanic...”

Veronica sat up and swung her legs over the side of the cot and immediately the doctor put out his hand to stop her. She pushed him away.

“What time is it?” she demanded.

“Almost Ten o'clock,” he replied, looking at his pocket watch. “Miss Pickles, you really must rest. You could have a serious injury which needs to be looked at!”

Veronica grabbed his wrist.

“Doctor Simpson. If you are telling me the truth and it really is ten o'clock on Sunday the fourteenth of April, Nineteen-Twelve, then, unless this ship changes course immediately, you and more than fifteen hundred others will be at the bottom of the ocean before the dawn breaks!”

“Now you have me worried, Miss Pickles. It seems that the bang to your head was far more serious than I first thought...”

“There is nothing wrong with my head, Doctor, I am deadly serious! At twenty minutes to midnight, this ship is going to hit an iceberg and sink unless Captain Smith alters course to port right now!”

The doctor glared at her.

“Now look. If you continue with this I am going to be forced to sedate you for your own safety. The Titanic cannot sink. Even if it does hit an iceberg, it has watertight compartments which will keep the ship afloat, so please, Miss, relax before you do yourself more harm.”

Veronica went to jump to her feet but an orderly who had seen the exchange grabbed her and pushed her gently but firmly back onto the cot.

Veronica was afraid. She didn't understand what had happened to her but she knew she had to do something.

“Doctor Simpson,” she persevered. “You have little more than ninety minutes to avert a disaster of immense proportions of which you will be a victim. You have to tell Captain Smith!”

The doctor took a deep breath.

“Look, I will get my senior doctor to come and see you. He can speak to the Captain.”

“Yes, do that but do it quickly,” she urged. Every second wasted is a second less to avoid a collision!”

Before he left, Doctor Simpson spoke quietly with the orderly and both looked furtively in her direction. The orderly nodded as though agreeing to something.

“I will be back shortly,” the doctor said to her as he left the infirmary.

Veronica sat on the edge of the cot, drumming her fingers and watching the clock on the wall, its hands moving slower than any clock she had seen before.

Twenty minutes passed and Veronica couldn't contain herself any longer.

“Where is he?” she demanded of the orderly who merely shrugged his shoulders.

“It's a big ship, Ma'am,” she replied without conviction. “It can take time to find someone.”

“We don't have time, damn you!” she shouted and jumped to her feet.

Immediately, the orderly grabbed her arm and held her firmly.

“Oww... you're hurting me!” she exclaimed. “Let me go!”

“I'm sorry, Ma'am. Doctor Simpson gave me strict instruction that if you tried to leave I am to sedate and restrain you. It is for your own good Ma'am.”

“No, it really isn't, I promise you,” she replied and tried to drag her arm away.

Suddenly she felt a sharp pain in her upper arm.

“Oh my... You didn't!” Veronica stared incredulously at the empty syringe the orderly was now holding and before she could say another word, collapsed back onto the cot.

 

She heard her name, distant, vague but now louder and more clear.

“Miss Pickles...”

She opened her eyes to see an older, white haired gentleman staring down at her. Immediately she was reminded of all those famous World War One recruiting posters of Lord Kitchener.

“Doctor O'Loughlin, thank goodness!” she exclaimed. “You have to listen to me!”

“You know who I am?” he replied.

“Yes, of course I do. I know everything about the Titanic. I've studied her all my life!”

The older officer looked surprised.

“Ma'am. This is her maiden voyage. How could you have?”

Veronica thought and realised that she didn't have an answer. She tried to sit up but something was preventing her.

“Try not to struggle, Miss. You are restrained to prevent you from hurting yourself. Doctor Simpson tells me that you had a premonition about an impending disaster.”

“It's not a premonition, Doctor! We are currently running at full speed through an ice field, are we not? Mr. Ismay has demanded that, hasn't he?”

The younger Doctor Simpson looked at his older superior, waiting for his response.

“Well... I can't...”

Veronica was trying not to become agitated again.

“Yes, you can, Doctor! It's true, isn't it?”

Doctor O'Loughlin appeared somewhat flustered.

“Well... Yes, all right, it is. How do you know?”

Veronica tried again to tell them how she knew but, again, she couldn't. Her mind was a blank. In her head, she could see the whole disaster unfolding but the reason why she knew seemed to be hidden from her.

“What time is it?” she asked.

Doctor Simpson looked at his pocket watch.

“Just past Eleven-thirty,” he replied. “Don't worry, we are not in a hurry. Take your time. You need rest to regain your senses.”

Veronica breathed out and relaxed, a huge sigh of resignation.

“It's too late,” she whispered. “I can't stop it.”

As she spoke the infirmary began to vibrate. Just a little at first but gradually growing in intensity until some of the glassware in cabinets began to touch and rattle.

The two surgeons looked at each other with consternation etched on their faces.

“The Captain has ordered full astern and full left rudder,” Veronica said calmly. “It is too late though. A ship this size can't turn quickly enough to avoid the inevitable so please, take these straps off me. I don't want to be one of the one thousand, five hundred and seventeen souls who will have met their fate within the next few hours!”

After a short wait for a response, during which none came, she continued.

“Look, I will not go crazy if you release me but if you don't you are condemning me to a certain, unpleasant death.”

Doctor O'Loughlin nodded once and the orderly began to unfasten the straps but, as he released the first buckle, there was a high pitched screeching sound and the ship seemed to lurch slightly. Some jars slipped from their glass shelf and smashed loudly onto the floor. The shuddering seems to go on for such a long time but was just moments and when it stopped, the ship was still and the Hospital silent.

“That's it,” Veronica said quite calmly. “We've struck the burg. Now you have around two and a half hours to get off this ship before it sinks so please, let me up!”

The orderly released the final straps and Veronica swung her legs over the side of the cot and stood up. She felt a little woozy but that was probably the effects of the sedative she had been given earlier.

She tried to clear her thoughts.

Doctor Simpson stared at her.

“How do you know all this?” he asked her again.

“I told you, I don't know,” she replied. “I just do. It seems I know exactly what is going to happen in the next two hours. By twenty past two, this ship will slip beneath the waves and will not be discovered for another seventy three years. I can't change anything now, the damage is already done but what I can do is help you save lives. You have to get all the third class passengers up on deck.”

The Doctors looked at each other and smiled a faint smile.

“They will never allow that, Miss Pickles. There is a strict protocol, First class... women and children first, then second class and finally, third.”

“For crying out loud, what is wrong with you people? Class doesn't matter now, everyone is in danger. Are we not all human beings, regardless of our background or upbringing?”

“Miss Pickles, every person has his, or her, place in our society, it is what keeps it running. If we...”

“Yes, yes, I get it but at least give them a chance to survive. By keeping them below decks you are passing a death sentence on them!”

Doctor O'Loughlin then put a fatherly hand upon her shoulder.

“It won't come to that, Miss. The Titanic can't sink. We will be delayed for a while no doubt but we won't sink. The designers had seen to that. I think that knock on the head when you fell has disorientated you somewhat. I think it best if you remain here and rest. Doctor Simpson will go and find out if there are any medical problems.”

Veronica sighed but kept calm.

“Let me ask you something,” she said gently. “Have either of you seen the drawings for the design of this ship? Do you know how she is constructed?”

Both the doctors shook their heads.

“Well I have,” she went on. “The Titanic has sixteen watertight compartments but..” she stopped as the younger officer interrupted.

“How have you seen the plans? Does your husband work for Harland and Wolff or the White Star Line?”

“No, I'm not married but listen to me. If the four compartments are damaged, that is fine, the ship will not sink but right now the freezing waters of the North Atlantic are pouring through damage which has compromised not just four but five compartments. Compartments which only rise up to 'E' deck!”

“Oh now look, this really is too much. How can you know so much when you have no access...”

“For goodness sakes, shut up and listen to me will you!” Veronica yelled at him. “As the water pours into those compartments the ship with sink lower into the water. Then, when they are full, the water will cascade over the top of the bulkhead and into the sixth, then the seventh and so on. Do you understand?”

“Well, I...”

Doctor O'Loughlin put his hand onto his subordinates arm.

“What she says does sound feasible, John. Look, head up to the bridge and see what you can find out.”

After the young surgeon left, the older doctor sat down on a nearby chair and loosened the high collar of his uniform Jacket and studied the young, obviously very intelligent woman standing before him.

“Who are you?” he asked.

Veronica sat on the edge of the cot.

“I'm Veronica Pickles. I am...” she began slowly but her mind was a blank. She couldn't remember anything before she awoke in the hospital. “I don't seem to remember. All I can remember is what happens to this ship and I don't know why.”

“Well I think you have suffered a concussion. You need rest so I suggest you get some sleep and we will see how things look in the morning.”

“Morning?” She jumped to her feet. “There won't be a morning for at least fifteen hundred souls... and I can't save them, it's too late.” The last words were whispered as the realization that knowing what she did could not now make a difference, she couldn't change a thing. She slowly sat back on the bed.

Suddenly she jumped up again.

“Come on!” she said with great excitement, “Maybe we can't stop the Titanic sinking but we can help to ensure that as many lives as possible are spared.”

Before Doctor O'Loughlin could react she ran to the door and out into the corridor. Already she could feel that the deck was not level and had a distinct rise towards the stern.

Veronica turned left and ran towards the bow. The hospital was on 'D' deck and she ran through the deserted first-class dining room and on to the grand staircase. Without a moments thought she ran down towards 'E' deck and the third class accommodation. Her only thought was to rouse as many of those poor souls as she could.

At the bottom she tried to stop so suddenly that her shoes slipped on the edge of the tiled step and she pitched forwards, landing with a splash in the freezing water which was lapping at the base of the staircase.

The sudden shock of the cold water caused her to take a sudden and sharp intake of breath and she struggled to get to her feet again and out of the water's icy grip.

Strong hands seemed to be holding her, restraining her and a familiar soothing voice broke through the fuzziness in her brain.

“Hey, hey. Come on, Ronnie. It's all right. Wow, I thought you were really hurt there for a moment!”

Veronica stopped struggling and a sudden warmth returned to her.

“Hattie? What... how... what happened? Where am I?”

“You tripped on the stairs, silly. I can't believe you wore those shoes with a long dress. I mean really!”

Veronica looked around. There were faces staring down at her, one seemed vaguely familiar.

Harriet helped her to her feet.

“Doctor Simpson here wants you to go to the hospital where he can make sure that you are not hurt. Don't worry, it is fully equipped with all the modern stuff, not like the original.” Her laughter was shrill and rattled inside Veronica's aching head.

“Doctor John Edward Simpson?” she asked, the confusion making her head swim even more.

“No,” the young doctor smiled. “John Edward was my great grandfather. He was Assistant Surgeon on the original Titanic. I am Doctor Michael Simpson. Sorry about the cold, wet cloth. I needed to cool your forehead to bring you round.”

Published 
Written by AnnaMayZing
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments