Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Watching for Daddy Through the Store's Bay Window

"Momma did not know the real reason as to why I always kept looking out the window."

1
0 Comments 0
1.6k Views 1.6k
3.2k words 3.2k words
The old cars all pass by in minute intervals as I stare out the bay window of what is now my Momma's old country store. Red ones, blue ones, gray ones, and white ones all motor by at almost a snails pace. It makes me smile to watch them with a hopeful feeling.

Granddaddy, now that he retired from The Country Hearth, the store he founded and just six months ago turned over to Momma to run, sits in his rocking chair out front of the store with Uncle Nester playing checkers. Uncle Nester really is not my uncle. I just call him that because he and Granddaddy are always together. They have been good friends forever. Even I knew that just from me being twelve years old. Uncle Nester was always in the store when Granddaddy ran it and he simply felt like family.

I liked watching them play checkers because it was funny when they got mad at each other over a simple move. They were like brothers fighting.

Momma was standing behind the counter, feather duster sticking out of the back pocket of her slacks, and she was counting the inventory of canned peaches. The last sale cranked on the cash register said 5.23. I think it was old Mrs. Whitmarsh's sale. She was the last patron I remember coming in for stuff. I did not like her very much. She always seemed very mean.

I started laughing 'cause Uncle Nester made a sorry move and Granddaddy knocked his hat down over his eyes.

"You old coot! What kind of move do you call that?" Granddaddy said to Uncle Nester as he pointed to the checkerboard.

Uncle Nester fixed his askew hat and said, "Who you calling an old coot? You have more miles on you than a Model A Ford you old toad!"

I laughed out loud at their antics and Momma heard me.

She turned around and said, "Sophie, quit staring out the window at your grandfather and Nester showing their disdain for each other and help do something to keep the store in order. I don't care what it is, just do something!"

"Aww Momma!" I exclaimed.

"Don't 'aww momma' me young lady. There are things that can be done than just staring out that front window all the time!"

Momma did not know the real reason as to why I always kept looking out the window. I never told her I was hoping to see Daddy come home from the war.

To appease Momma, I took the broom and walked out the front door.

"Well if it isn't Miss Sophie! Come to whisk away the dust huh?" Uncle Nester asked.

"I'm afraid you're too heavy for me to do so Uncle Nester!"

"Ha! That'll teach you to open your mouth Nester," Granddaddy said with a laugh.

"Yeah, uh huh, she is definitely her grandfather's grandchild!"

"I know I am Uncle Nester," I said and gave him a smile as I started sweeping.

I started swishing the bristles at the front door, pushing the fine particles away to the steps. Then worked my way to the opposite side of Granddaddy and Uncle Nester.

There was a fine mist of dust around the bottom of the broom. It has been so dry and hot, we need rain to keep the dust down, at least for a little while, but I did not think it could do anything for the heat. Rain sometimes made that worse.

"Lift your feet Granddaddy," I said as I made my way to where he and Uncle Nester propped.

"Aw, Sophie, can't you sweep around us?"

"This porch is not going to sweep itself Granddaddy. You too Uncle Nester. I swear, sometimes I think you two are the biggest dust bunnies out here!"

"Nester, what you say we go inside and get us a pop so my definite grandchild can finish sweeping?"

"Sounds good to me. I'm parched."

I laughed as Granddaddy and Uncle Nester got up to go inside and get some drinks.

I saw Momma turn around and start talking to Granddaddy and Uncle Nester as they walked up to the cooler full of ice and soda pop and pulled two of them out. It looked like they chose Nehi.

"Sophie ran you two off the porch huh?"

"Well maybe Nester, but not me!"

"I tell you Meggy, Sophie is just like you and your pappy here. No doubt you bared her!"

"Well if you'd quit putting your foot in your mouth you old dummy, maybe you would not have any snide remarks!"

"Oh pop, you and Sophie leave Nester alone. You both know he can't help it!"

"Hey now! You are supposed to be on my side Meggy!"

"Well, Nester, you should know by now, it runs in the family!"

As soon as Granddaddy and Uncle Nester were inside, I turned around, propped the broom handle under my arm and stared at the cars once again passing by. I was hoping that Daddy was going to be inside one and he would get out.

"She's doing it again. I swear Meggy, your daughter has the attention span of a goldfish. She's either in here staring out the window or out there pretending to do work and doing the same thing."

"I know Pop. It's all I can do to keep her attention when she's here after school. Then when we get home, she just stays in her room. The only time she comes out is to eat then she gets in the bed."

"Oh, this sounds like a family issue. I'll leave you two to discuss this. I'll just go join Sophie."

I heard the front door of the store open, but did not turn around. I just wanted to keep watching the cars go by and hoped one would be a taxi or something from the Army.

"You know Sophie, darling, you keep watching like this, your daddy coming home will keep being a longer process. It won't bring him back any faster." I turned and heard Uncle Nester say. I did not know what to say to him. I just gave him a look.

"Yes Sophie, I know. I see you missing your daddy everyday. While those two in there," Uncle Nester said and pointed to the store, "don't have a clue as to why you are always looking out the window or stopping your chores, I do. I am much smarter than you think."

"It's that obvious huh, Uncle Nester?"

"Well it is to me. To your Mammy and Grandpappy in there, they are beginning to think you are going through some teenage angst."

"I'm not but twelve! I won't be thirteen until nine months from now. Geez!"

"You know that and I know that, but your Mammy and Grandpappy still see you as a little girl. They worry about you."

"I understand that Uncle Nester, but don't I have a right to miss my Daddy?"

"Of course you do child. Just like I miss my son."

"Your son is in the Army too, Uncle Nester?"

"Yes ma'am. Haven't seen him in three years. Get a letter every so often from him though. But it isn't the same."

"I know. Tell me about it. I was eight the last time I saw Daddy. Momma and I got a letter from him months ago. That's the only time Momma let's me see her cry. I know she cries more often than that, but I never say anything to her."

"Sometimes it's best not to do so. You're a smart girl Sophie. You know when to say something and when not to say something."

"It's not that I don't want to say something to Momma, it's just that I am scared to do so, Uncle Nester."

"Then that should tell you something."

"It tells me Momma wants to be left alone."

"Well see Sophie, just like you leave your Mammy alone, I come here to spend time with your Grandpappy. It helps me. He's been a good friend. He misses his son-in-law just as much as I miss my own son."

"Does Daddy know your son?"

With a smirk and a deep laugh, Uncle Nester said, "They were best friends Sophie. You didn't know that?"

"No, no one ever told me. I'm glad my Daddy knows your son. You think they see each other over there?"

"I'd like to think so."

"Then if you think so, I think so." I answered and smiled at Uncle Nester.

Uncle Nester patted me on the back and I looked up to him and asked, "Uncle Nester, can this stay between us? It's a nice bond to have."

"My lips are sealed," he said as he motioned across his lips with his fingers then hugged me.

I watched Uncle Nester head back over to the table with the checkerboard. He was waiting on Granddaddy. I began to sweep again, but still kept one eye on the road. I still hoped for the best. I saw Uncle Nester catch me looking and smiled.

When I was finished, since Granddaddy was still inside the store with Momma, I leaned the broom up by the front door and sat in Granddaddy's spot and picked up where he and Uncle Nester left off.

I slid one of the checkers across the board to a spot where Uncle Nester could not get to it.

"I see you play like your Granddaddy. It is most definitely in ya'lls blood."

I just simply smiled. My smile turned to shock though as a government issued vehicle stopped in front of the store. I knew it was government by the color it was painted. It was that drab Army green.

Uncle Nester turned and looked as a tall man dressed in uniform stepped out. He was decorated with pins and there was one medal hanging on his pocket as well. I did not know if he was a general or major or what. All I knew was the Army sent him and he was not Daddy.

He maneuvered the steps and looked at me and Uncle Nester as he took off his hat. Uncle Nester had a look I had never before seen him have. It was as if he had seen a ghost. I began to shake when the general or major or whatever he was said, "Excuse me sir and ma'am, I was told that I could find Mr. Aldemier here."

"I'm Nester Aldemier and you may spare the details Lieutenant, I know what you are going to say."

"I'm sorry sir, but I must do my job. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your son, Private First Class Lester Aldemier, was fatally wounded in the line of fire."

My heart sank at the words the lieutenant spoke. Uncle Nester stood up to shake the lieutenant's hand and I busted through the doors of the store.

"Momma! Granddaddy! Uncle Nester needs you! Now! Hurry!"

"Sophie, what in the world!" Momma yelled as her and Granddaddy ran to the door. They exited just in time to see the lieutenant slam the door on the Army car and the driver take off.

"Oh dear!" Momma said and put her hand to her mouth. It was obvious Momma knew what happened.

Granddaddy walked up to his best friend and took him in his arms. Uncle Nester let the tears flow all over Granddaddy's shoulder.

"Lester's gone Alden. I'm never gonna see him anymore."

"Not in this lifetime Nester, but you will again someday. He's with his mother now. He did a brave thing like we did in our day. He died protecting us. Always remember that Nester. Now go ahead and let it out. I'm here." Granddaddy said as he consoled his best friend.

Momma, already with her hands on my shoulders, said as she motioned me into the store, "Let's go Sophie, and let your Granddaddy and Uncle Nester have time together. We do not need to be in their way at the moment."

Reluctantly, I opened the door of the store and walked over to my favorite spot by the window. I sat there on the sill and just watched. Granddaddy walked down the steps with Uncle Nester to his car. I understood why Nester had to go home.

I turned and looked at Momma standing behind the counter. I could tell she was thinking. So was I. I did not like the thoughts I was having either.

I walked over and behind the counter to Momma. I saw a tear rolling down her face. She was trying to hide it, but she failed.

"Momma, are we going to get a visit by the lieutenant like Uncle Nester? Is that why you are crying?"

Momma looked at me as she dabbed her eyes with a tissue. As she wiped it away, Momma said, "Sophie, I didn't want you to see me crying. I want to stay strong for you since your Daddy is at war. If I am crying, I feel weak in front of you."

"Momma, just because you cry, does not mean you are not strong. I know you cry more than you let on to me. And you didn't answer my question. We are gonna get one of those visits, aren't we Momma?"

"Oh Sophie, I wish I could say no. But I can't. Honey, it's a possibility. But Sophie, me and you need to stay strong for your Daddy. I know he would not want you, or me, to be thinking that way."

The chime of the door rang and Granddaddy came walking through. He sat at the bar which Momma and me stood behind. He could tell that Momma had been crying. When he looked at me, he could see the shock on my face.

"Sophie, come around here to me," Granddaddy demanded.

I walked around the bar and faced my Granddaddy. I was sullen faced. I had not been crying, but the thought of the Army man paying me and Momma a visit like he did Uncle Nester was still written on my face.

"Sophie, honey, I know what you and your momma are thinking. You just have to have faith baby girl. God wanted your Uncle Nester's son for a reason. We'll never understand why. It was just his time."

"But Granddaddy, that man in uniform could still come here and deliver to me and Momma that it was Daddy's time also."

Granddaddy placed his hand on my chest right where my heart was and said, "Sophie, your Daddy is right here," as he patted my chest in rhythm with my heartbeat. "As long as you can feel him there inside you, you will know he is alright. You and him have a bond that cannot be broken."

"That's true Sophie. Pop and I have that same bond. It got stronger after mom died."

"I am positive that your Daddy is sitting somewhere over there and feeling you in his heart. And not just you, but also your Momma. You two are his pride and joy. Not a day goes by I am sure he does not think of you both. I know when I went during my time, your Grandmomma was in my heart ninety-nine percent of the time. The other one percent, was on my civic duties."

I smiled at Granddaddy's words and gave him a hug that felt like it lasted a good five minutes. He always knew just what to say to me. Momma did also, but not like Granddaddy. He always had a way with words.

Then the door chimed again and we had a customer. It was one of our regulars that Momma and Granddaddy knew personally. I went in the storage room to see what I could do to help out somewhat. While I was counting inventory, I heard the conversation. It was about Uncle Nester. It seemed our regular saw the Army pull up to the store.

Two weeks have since passed and things have somewhat become normal again. Uncle Nester was once again playing checkers with Granddaddy. The Army had flown Uncle Nester's son's body back to the states and there was a service for him. It was a nice service and Uncle Nester had Lester placed by his mother.

I, once again, looked out the window as usual. Uncle Nester looked at me everyday I sat there, observing, and smiled. I smiled back at him in acknowledgment of our secret.

Momma was, of course, tending the store. Right now, that mean old lady Mrs. Whitmarsh was in buying more stuff. I did not know why I did not like her. I think it was her expression. I swore I never saw that woman smile. Maybe she was not what I thought she actually was, but that was the way I saw her.

I smiled at Mrs. Whitmarsh as she exited the store, but I did not get anything back. Just that same bland stare. Granddaddy and Uncle Nester tipped their hats to her as she headed to her old Oldmobile. That car had more rust spots on it than paint. It was going to fall apart on her one day. I was sure of it.

I watched her get in and start it and put it in reverse to back out of the spot she always occupied, but she had to stop. Another car stopped in the road behind her.

It was a bright yellow taxi.

My heart sank as I jumped up and stared out the window for a moment.

Then I ran for the store's door and busted through it. Momma yelled, "Sophie, young lady. . ." but I did not stop at her voice yelling after me.

I stood on the top step as the passenger in the back seat stepped out. I could feel Granddaddy and Uncle Nester watching while their eyes moved from me to the person getting out of the taxi. The uniform was nice, but the moment my eyes stared into his, the tears began to flow.

The taxi drove off and I heard the store's front door slam as I ran down the steps yelling, "DADDY!" I knew Momma was behind me and saw him.

Daddy dropped his duffel bag to the pavement and I jumped into his arms. We both started crying as he held me tight. Daddy turned me around in jubilation of having not seen me in so long. Then he saw Momma standing on the top step as I had been when he stepped out of the taxi.

Mrs. Whitmarsh backed out and I looked at her as she did, and she smiled for the first time ever. I knew why she did.

Daddy put me down and Momma ran to him. Words were not exchanged between them; just emotion.

Granddaddy and Uncle Nester stood up as me, Momma, and Daddy could greet them. They shook hands, exchanged pleasantries, and all of us trekked inside the store.

I looked at the bay window where I sat everyday watching for that moment. There would be no more sitting at that window. I smiled as I as knew it was finally over.

My daddy had finally come home.

Published 
Written by Douglas_Daleray
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors