Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Lowenna and the secrets of Light and Darkness: chapter 18

"Lowenna escaped from the deapts of the city but its not safe above ground either"

6
5 Comments 5
1.2k Views 1.2k
1.4k words 1.4k words
Chapter 18 The New Followers Of The Queen

Lowenna cut through the bolt that held the grating in place and slowly with all of her strength, moved the grating enough to get out of the shaft.

The room, she found herself in, was large, with only one doorway leading out. Inside was a large stone fireplace. The fire was roaring, giving enough light to see.

Lowenna’s clothes were damp, slimy and the smell was that of rotting fish. “I’ll need to buy some more,” Lowenna thought to herself before remembering her money had been in her cape and she whispered a curse.

Lowenna slowly opened the door and cautiously looked around. She saw a long stone corridor lit by torches with several doors running along one side. The first two were locked, but the third was open. Inside she saw a wall covered in the robes, which could only belong to the followers of the bright light. "I'm in the church?"

Making sure the room was empty Lowenna slipped in and shut the door behind her. There was a small, lit candle on a table and a washbasin and towels. Lowenna paused for a second before removing her clothes. She gratefully washed and proceeded to dry herself, when she heard someone talking. She grabbed her smelly clothes and hid behind the long robes.

“So the queen will return?” one of the men asked.

“Yes, she will,” a familiar voice replied, Lowenna believed it was High-Brother Knowl. She recognised his irritated tone. “She will not abandon us.”

“When do you think she will be back?” The other man asked sounding elated.

“I do not know, and DON'T bother me again with pointless questions.” High-Brother Knowl replied, somewhat angrily.

“But you see her magnificence every day, can I accompany you to the palace?”

“Our queen demands respect, she is not to be stared at, only obeyed.” High-Brother Knowl snapped back, sounding even more irritated.

“I apologise,” the other man said, “it's just I saw her for the first time this moon, I understand now. I wish to please our queen.”

“And I’m sure you will.” Knowl replied, “Now grab some robes and return to your duties.” Lowenna felt some of the robes being shaken. She could only hope he wouldn't take the ones she was hiding behind. “And get someone to clean this room, it starting to smell,” Knowl added.

After a moment, Lowenna heard the door shut. She was about to come out of her hiding place when she heard a voice. Brother Knowl had not left with the other man.

“Fool!” he mumbled out loud, “Like the queen would pander to the likes of your kind."

Lowenna was trying not to move or make a sound but the stone wall she was leaning against was cold and uncomfortable. She hoped he wouldn’t be much longer. The door opened again, “High-Brother Knowl, you are needed, in the great hall,” a young man said, and Knowl gave a huff of displeasure.

“Very well,” He said, sounding annoyed. Lowenna heard the quiet footsteps of sandals on stone as the two men left leaving the door open.

Lowenna slowly peered out, for now. She was alone. She swiftly grabbed one of the robes, wrapping it around herself. She secured it with a belt, pulled the hood up, slipped on a pair of sandals. She found a place to hide her old clothes and left, hoping she would blend in with the rest of the clergy.

The robe was nearly as heavy as her cape when full of weapons and the sandals were not quick and kept slipping. “I have to get out, back to my room, I have some clothes there,” Lowenna thought as she turned into the main hall. Lowenna recognised the murals and then saw brother Solomon. He had been kind to her earlier, but she didn't want to let anyone know she was here.

Lowenna was about to leave when she saw the Holy leader and High-Brother Knowl talking to, Rune? He signalled brother Solomon to join them.

Lowenna wanted to leave but also wanted to know what they were talking about. There was a line of followers of the light kneeling praying to the angelous, near where they were talking. Lowenna walked over and kneeled down at the end of the line pretending to pray while trying to listen to the conversation.

“She believes she is a Lowenna,” Rune said, in her slightly jovial voice.

“That may explain the vision in the eye of Armous,” the spiritual leader said, sounding concerned, “and the queen knows of this?”

“Yes,” Rune replied. Lowenna's heart sank a little. She had trusted Rune, helped her, and now she was betraying her.

“Brother Solomon, you spent most of the time with her earlier, did you not?” High-Brother Knowl asked with a smile. Lowenna turned her head a little to see what was happening but quickly turned it back when Rune looked in her direction.

“I did. She said she needed help,” brother Solomon said sounding uncomfortable.

“And you had no clue she was Lowenna?” the spiritual leader asked.

“No, she told me she had lost her memories, I was only trying to help her.”

“He speaks the truth,” Rune added, but High-Brother Knowl wasn't listening.

“Maybe you should go see the queen,” Knowl stated, and brother Solomon smiled and nodded. “Explain how a Lowenna tricked you, and you helped her.” 

Solomon suddenly stopped nodding and looked scared, “Will she be angry?” he asked.

“She will be if we don’t find this Lowenna,” the spiritual leader added.

“Oh, I have already done that,” Rune stated with a smile. The colour drained from Lowenna's face, and she stood up slowly and walking away from the group hiding her face. “She is over there,” Rune added pointing at Lowenna.

Brother Solomon and the Holy leader looked shocked, just looking at where Lowenna stood. High-Brother Knowl screeched, “Stop her!” and two guards who wore gold chest plates suddenly guarded the door Lowenna was heading towards, and more were watching her.

“Not smart,” Rune murmured, as Lowenna started to run towards the two guards.

One of the guards drew his sword, but the other didn't move blocking her path. Lowenna launched herself at the two guards. Her arm-guard hit the raised sword, and her foot hit the second guard in the face. Lowenna used the momentum to swing behind the first guard, who hadn't had time to move, before hitting him in the back of the head with the arm-guard, while kicking the second guard in the head again. She tore down the corridor, leaving the two guards on the ground unconscious.

“Told you,” Rune said looking at Knowl, who ignored her while disabusing the men on the ground as useless and stupid. Other guards went through the doorway chasing after Lowenna.

Lowenna ran as fast as she could, turning round a corner. She saw an open window at the end of the hallway and jumped through it head first, knowing guards were just behind her. To her dismay, she discovered she was higher than expected and hit the ground a little harder than she would have liked. Breathlessly, she picked herself up again and started to run, heading towards the entrance. As she rounded a corner, she had to stop sharply. There in front of her stood Rune, who was smiling at her.

“How...” Lowenna started to ask before Rune answered.

“Took the side entrance, knew you would come this way.” Lowenna paused for a second, but as she went to speak, Rune continued, “I’m alone and mean you no harm, but the lawmen are on the way.”

“Thank you for the warning,” Lowenna replied in surprise, with a hint of sarcasm.

“You're welcome,” Rune said with a smile, but then it faded from her face, “I’m sorry if you think I betrayed you. I am still your friend.”

Lowenna's eyes narrowed, “So why did you.”

“I can't lie, and the Queen told me to tell her what I knew, and now I would do anything for the Queen,” Rune replied, the smile returning to her face.

Lowenna pondered the words. The sentence didn't quite sound right.

“You need to go now, the lawmen will be here any moment, and I want you to escape, or do I? Maybe not now but I would of before. The queen wants you more than anything.”

Lowenna felt very confused, but turned and started to run. She clambered over the church garden wall and disappeared from a smiling Rune who turned and headed back into the church.

Published 
Written by rbo
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments