Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Thorns: Ch 2

9
7 Comments 7
1.2k Views 1.2k
2.4k words 2.4k words
My eyes fluttered open, as the sun beamed into my room. I snuggled in my bed so comfortably that I did not want to leave. That was, until Maple decided to sit on top of me. I pretended to sleep avoiding whatever interrogation she had for me. For a happy-go-lucky girl, who was sweet and innocent, she was pretty damn stubborn.

"Brook," she lightly shook my shoulder. I remained as still as possible, not giving any indications that I was aware of her presence.

"Come on, Brook. You can't avoid me forever," she jumped off and ran out of the room.

A wary smile crept to my lips, "just long enough for you to forget." I whispered to myself.

I tried to sneak a few more moments of rest, but Mrs. Myrlyn called for me. Reluctantly, I crawled out of bed and got myself ready for the day. I stepped out of the room and peered down at the first floor. Mrs. Myrlyn looked up at me.

"Dead rising girl, you would sleep all day if I let you! Who would take over your chores?"

I smirked at the thought of sleeping in as I glided down the steps. She handed me the day's shopping list and I noticed a pick up order from the post office. I raised an eyebrow, but remained silent.

"Oh and Maple is joining you today. Finnick has the horses ready, so hurry with your coat."

I grumbled under my breath as I slipped on the sleeves of a black cotton jacket. 'The whole morning, she'll definitely pester me with questions.'

I gracefully flew out the door to my horse Aqua. Seeing her silky glory harnessed to that old wagon distressed me, but seeing Maple attempt to ride Scarlet, her chestnut mare, distressed me even more. I gritted my teeth and climbed up, ignoring Finnick's offered hand. He dramatically mocked a royal groom. Maple scooted next to me and handed over the reins.

I clutched them. "We'll be back," I said over my shoulder and gave a flick on the reins. The horses lurched forward and trotted down the dusty road. Maple waved until we turned onto the forest trail, obscuring the view of the house. We sat with only the sound of the horses' hooves and heavy breathing. Maple snuggled up next to me, her breath clearly visible in the frigid air.

"Your skin is like ice," she told me. Funny, I didn't feel cold. I haven't felt the chill of the wind ever since I could remember. No one could understand that I could stand outside during deep winter in a summer dress and never get frostbitten, nor had I ever caught the flu.

I glanced at her flame like hair. "You've been like that since you came home last night. So cold, you were as blue as the pale sky of fall. Pale and frozen, so where have you been?" I did not reply I just focused on the horses' backs and the road. "Did you catch a cold? You were out awhile, what happened?"

"I don't get sick. I went to the brook in the forest again."

"BROOK! You did not fall in, did you? Or get lured in by hearing the songs of a fairy mound?"

"Neither, I just wanted to tire myself, so I could sleep."

Maple glumly responded in a small voice, "You used to sing us to sleep. Does that not work anymore?" I thought back to when we were small and Mrs. Myrlyn just took us in. Maple always woke up crying in the middle of the night about a monster. I started singing lullabies to make her fall back asleep. Singing and chanting dream wards, never protected me from nightmares, I just pretended they did.

A harsh breeze rushed past us. I didn't flinch, but I saw Maple cringe into a small ball. She blew onto her curled hands, igniting a few small flickers of flame to warm her stiff fingers. She smiled sweetly at me, and rested her head on my shoulder.

"I am so glad I got to come to town today! Mother doesn't think I am mature enough to make the voyage on my own."

I wanted to reply that not only would she get distracted on the way to town, she would talk to everyone in town one at a time, forgetting what she needed to buy. She would spend hours more talking to the locals, trying to remember. Finally, she bought what she was sent to purchase, only to find it was devastatingly late. She tried to rush home, only panicked and got lost in the woods, alone at night. Lord Protector willing, she might last the night. The worst-case scenario, which played in my mind continuously, was that a stranger fancied her, followed her into the woods and kidnapped her. I would move mountains to find her again.

I sighed as we rode closer to town, hoping all the ‘fun wonders’ of the people would distract Maple. As we rode in, the town fell silent, and all their eyes focused on us. I was accustomed to it, but glad that my sister was too dense to notice the wrath that they held in their eyes. I glared back and their eyes immediately found other things to scrutinize. Maple glanced between them and me, as she wondered what persisted. I ignored her pleading stare for an explanation and jumped down from the wagon. I extended my hand to her for her to grab. She used it to lightly jump down and made a direct beeline to the crazy blind woman.

I tied the horses to a pole and headed to the shop. Maple cheerfully gave a coin to the blind old woman.

"Why thank you, Fire. Ice escorted you to town today?" The old woman asked in her old crackled voice. She gave nicknames to everyone, and she decided to call us Fire and Ice. Surprisingly, she knew who we were just by the sound of our footsteps. A smart old woman she was, but only ever addressed me when Maple was around.

"Have you ever been to that kingdom you mentioned before? The kingdom of thorns?" Maple always fantasized this kingdom beyond the mountain, I just shook my head, but always found myself listening just as intently. Some of the things she had to say, I disagreed with completely, other times I almost believed them as much as I am right handed.

"Oh, if only I could have been there, my husband was always the adventurer, while I stayed home and watched the children. He always brought back gifts from the exotic lands he visited. He even tried to reach the deep sea city of the merfolk, so he could bring back a black pearl for me." Her lips fumbled a smile as she sat in her daydream. She hastily continued, "that is, until the Ruby king decided to close off the borders to the mountain, and put an end to his travels. Then rumors spread, many rumors, too many to remember. My husband left to join the army, and marched alongside the brave men and women to the kingdom of thorns. To visit it now, it would be a disappointing thing. All the beauty he told me about, vanished to ash. A great scar was left on that land and never healed. 'Tis' a pity, I think, it sounded like a wonderful place before the war."

"I wonder if it would heal in time! The land just needs a little love!"

"It's just a story, Maple. You can't heal land with love anyways! It's not a heart, nor person."

"A kind notion, my dear Fire. You are a sweet, generous and kind soul. If only Ice was just as kind, her frozen heart wouldn't be so secluded."

"Brook is kind." Maple replied upset.

"Maple, come on, before you freeze!" I snapped bitterly, and towed her to the door. She waved to the blind woman, ignoring the fact she was blind, as I held the door open for her.

Maple scanned the sweets for whatever she desired, as I waited for the shopkeeper to finish up with the customer before me.

"Someone has stolen some eggs from my chicken coop," a woman exclaimed. I curiously tuned in to the conversation.

"You sure the chicken just isn't finished?" The old man asked skeptically. He handed her a basket with a smile.

The woman hesitated, "then I suppose, I'll have to check again tomorrow, otherwise we'll be having chicken stew!" She lifted her basket gingerly. She jumped when she saw my face, but continued briskly to the door.

I peeked at the storekeeper, he gave me the 'is she insane' look.

Maple danced her way to the counter with her small basket of sweets.

"Ah, a rare treat your visit is, Ms. Maple," the storekeeper greeted her with a warm smile.

"Is there a thief?" She eavesdropped on the conversation also.

"Don't be ridiculous, Maple," I told her, repulsed by the idea. "There's nothing here to steal, no offense!" I quickly turned to the old man. He simply smiled and waved it off.

Reproachfully, he made the comment, "I don't know. I could name a few things worth stealing." I reactively put a protective arm around Maple. "A joke, Ms. Brook just a joke, so humor an old man." He took the list and began to put the items in the basket. He handed it back to Maple as I paid for the day's ingredients.

"I hear there's something for you, waiting in the post office," the old man said to me. I hesitated and looked at him. I slowly turned to my endearing little sister. Whenever she happened to come along to town, she managed to start the rumor chain when it came to my life. Somehow, she managed to slip out the fact that I had a package that I didn't even know about! I started to worry about what could be inside, my birthday already passed a few months ago, and holiday time hadn't come yet, to send gifts.

"Maple..."

"What? People have a right to know!" She innocently looked at me. I pressed my lips together.

"And I have a right to discretion and privacy," I coldly snapped at her.

"You do?"

"Everyone does! Now what is it?"

She fidgeted under my glare. "Well, um, you see, I'll wait in the wagon!" She bolted out of the store with the basket in hand. Several ingredients flew out of the basket.

The shopkeeper and I both stared wordlessly at the door.

"I have a bad feeling," I admitted stifling a laugh. I went to pick up the fallen items.

"A strange shift in the air, like the snow on your face has melted from your smile," he laughed.

I realized, I smiled, though I had no idea why. I burst out laughing, I never knew it felt so good. I wiped away a stray tear, "well, I better get whatever it is." I started to calm down.

"Maybe it's something that will benefit your future."

"Or maybe, something that will end it," I replied. My smile now gone no traces left, but in a memory. I corrected my posture and obtained the look of impenetrability again. "Good day," I told the man in farewell.

He waved as I left. The small rusty bell gave a dull ring as I walked out the door, and casually strolled across the street to the post office.

Halfway there a few girls came up to me with wicked smiles. I hated these girls, they thought that because they were snobs, that they could actually succeed in bullying me. For years, I managed to do the opposite, whereas, whenever we played a game of tag or the casual dare, I was always the first girl picked for sports, and I handled any dare and gave the worst to them. Showed them the right to reject me, when they played dolls. They usually just bawled their eyes out until someone caved and took the dare for them.

"Congratulations, Brook," they mocked in unison.

I shot a look at them, and they backed away a few paces. "What are you talking about?" I asked flatly, thinking anything they said was bound to be no good.

They scoffed, "the whole town is talking about it. Too bad for Maple though."

"What about Maple?" I snapped. They froze as they realized I had no idea about what they were referring to. They flitted around franticly whispering.

Two grabbed my wrists and the third pushed, as they led me to the post office.

"Take a good long look," one spat and the girls scurried away.

I hesitantly entered. The middle-aged man, who worked there, barely glanced in my direction before shoving a package in front of me. It was fairly large and flat. I looked for the return address but only saw a stamp of a black paw with long claws. The symbol poked at my memory but I could not recall where I saw it before.

"What is it?" I asked curiously. He handed me a box cutter. I slit it down the top and carefully unfolded the flaps. I froze, taking in the whole object with unwavering horror, and carefully folded the box back up. The man gave me a puzzled look.

"Where are the return stamps?" I rushed to the wall, skimming over every stamp there.

Maple came in, and grabbed my arm. Now I knew why she came, Mrs. Myrlyn knew this would happen.

"Brook, I'm sorry..." I did not respond and walked out in silence, my face stone cold I brushed past my sister. I heard her grab the box and shuffled quickly after me.

No one stared, no one snickered and I did not even hear a whispered rumor about me. The storekeeper cleaned the window. Our eyes connected for a moment before I turned sharply away. We both knew who was right, my future came to an abrupt halt.

The cold breeze seemed sharper now. I touched my cheek, it was soaking wet, unstoppable tears flowed down my face. I flicked the reins, probably sharper than needed, and quickly drove home.
Published 
Written by Anonymous
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments