Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The feather

1
0 Comments 0
1.1k Views 1.1k
640 words 640 words
Sitting in the bar is a man. He's never been seen before. Questions expressed by everyone's faces.

"What to drink?" Asked the waitress.

"Water will do." The man replies quickly. Away walks the waitress to the bar. 

The man rises from his seat. Silence fills the room as his chair screeches against the floor. He takes off his hat sets it on the chair beside him. From his pocket he pulls his wallet. Retrieving a few dollars he lays them on the table and heads for the door. 

"Excuse me sir!" Said the waitress. The man stops in his tracks. "You forgot your hat." As he walks back to the table, he sets a feather at the door.

Curious the bartender becomes. "Ask him why he laid that there."

The waitress approaches the man. "Umhmmm what's the deal with the feather?" She asked. The man only nods and sits down. 

"Do you have a piece of paper and perhaps a pen?" He asked. Curious the waitress hands him her pad and pen. He then draws a single line. "Pick a side." He demands. Reluctantly the waitress points. "Mark your side." He stated.

"Why?" She asked. The man only nods gesturing his hand towards the paper.

Hesitantly she marks an x no bigger than a penny. The man thanks her, as he grabs his hat, stands and walks to the door.

"Wait, what was that for?" She asked.

"Only you can figure that out." He replies, as he walks out the door.

The waitress retrieves the paper from the table. Observing the line and the x she walks to the bar. "Well?" Asked the bartender."what's with the feather?"

Lost in her mind the waitress never replies. The only thing she can do is wonder. What could the man be trying to do?

As time passes, the paper fades from her focus. Back to work she continues her night. Many people come and go til finally the bar is empty. Conversation stirs between the bartender and her about the situation. "What is the deal with the feather?" The bartender asked again.

"He didnt say." She replied.

"You were over there for a few minutes and he didn't say a thing?" She then pulls out the paper and begins to tell the bartender what happened. "Why?" The bartender asked curiously.

"He said only I could figure that out."

Just as she finished her sentence, the door opens. The man walks in this time with a jacket.

"We don't need any problems." The bartender says immediately.

"I pose no threat, you must forgive me for the lack of introduction." He says as he looks to the waitress with an outreached hand. "My name is Pirus.

The waitress shakes his hand. "I'm Lydia. "

"Well Lydia have you found the answer as to why?" Asked Pirus.

"How could I when you haven't given me much information."

"I shall then bid you farewell until tomorrow then you will see." Said Prius.

"Wait!" She said abruptly, "can you not explain anymore?"

"Give me something anything." She begs. Her curiosity has been captured like a mouse in a trap.

"Take the feather I left that's all you need." Pirus replies as he exits the bar for the last time this night.

As the night runs it course, Lydia tosses and turns til her body gives way, she drifts quickly to sleep. A dream illuminates her mind unlike any before. She stands at a riverside staring into her reflection, as the sun beats against her back.

Suddenly something in the water catches her attention. Studying the object sifting through the different thoughts, as to what it may be, Lydia gasps "Its a feather, it couldn't be."

"As it was now, it shall be. A line formed a river and x marks your spot." Pirus's voice beckons from the unknown.

Published 
Written by Wilz
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors