1 watcher
1 like
Crazy old ape
0 likes

Some quick comp math, folks, using our latest as an example only:

• There were thirteen stories entered.

• Only ten can make the short list.

• Only three can win prizes.

• Therefore, even if all the stories were of equal quality, someone would not make the short list because the rules say so.

So don't assume your (or anyone else's) story is "worse" just because it does not make the top ten.

The judges have to draw a line somewhere and the rules say that line is between ten and eleven. It does not say that ten has to be a better story than eleven, only that the judges have some reason, maybe just personal preference, for putting it there.

Ditto the line between 3 and 4.

Look at a big literary prize like the Giller or Mann Booker. Are the books on the short list really THAT much better than the ones on the long list? Is the winner really the objectively "best" story on the short list? Hell no. It comes down to the judges and their perceptions and preferences.

So if you don't make the top three or top ten, realize that you're up against human judging on human standards in a field that is inherently subjective.

If you want to feel sad about not making the top ten, that's understandable. I'll happily commiserate with you over a cup of your favorite hot beverage. Been there, done that.

But don't sell your story short just because it didn't make that line.

As I said above, even if all the stories entered were equal in writing quality and handling of the theme (and I have no idea how you would even determine that since we are talking subjective art here), someone would not make the cut simply because that's how the comp works.

In fact, I would encourage people who miss the cut in a comp to dust that story off, do some editing, and see if you can find other places to submit it. Maybe some other judge or editor will disagree with our judges.

/Rant off

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Scott, you've been deep-thinking again, haven't you? Hasn't anyone warned you about that? It could age you or lead to eye-problems. But don't stop, we accept your noble sacrifice.

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by redwriter
It could age you or lead to eye-problems.

My eye problems can only get better. So says my eye surgeon. 😎 One eye fixed, one more to go (Feb. 28).

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

A slight flaw in your calculations, there, Scott. 14 entries. 🙄🤣

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by AnnaMayZing

A slight flaw in your calculations, there, Scott. 14 entries. 🙄🤣

I did a count this morning and forgot one was missing in action.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by AtticusAbbey

I was an "almost" competitor.

Al, that means you could have "almost" won! 😳

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

1 like

I didn't think of that Anna. I should have almost given it thought.

0 likes

Thanks, Scott. You are sweet and kind posting this. I agree with you. ❤️😊