Find your next favourite story now
Login

A Members-Voted 'Story and/or Poem of the Month' Competition?

last reply
26 replies
6.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Does anybody else think that a shortlist of stories and/or poems could be submitted to the forum for voting on by the members of the site would be a fun way to boost submissions and generate interest?

It would be an interesting experiment at least: if the mods were the arbiters of which items to submit to the voters, it could easily be accommodated utilising the existing 'poll' feature.

A nice shiny new badge to the monthly winner would be a pleasant addition to the collection - as well as the kudos, of course...
0 likes
Interesting thought, but all honesty, 90% clueless as to what your saying, please clarify.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I also would like you to explain Andy
Lurker
0 likes
I'm surprised you don't understand:

The mods suggest maybe five stories as story of the month and the same for poems. The vote is set up like a poll. At the end of a set period (a couple of weeks maybe?) the story and poem with the most votes are declared the winners for that month. A new set of stories and poems is then suggested for the next vote and so on...
0 likes
Interesting idea, but personally I don't think it's necessary or a workable plan.

For one thing, it would put more of an onus on the Mods, who already have lots to do with their time. No-one has forgotten but I'll restate it - they are volunteers, and already put in plenty of their own free time to keep this place running smoothly.

Side note - thank you again to them.

For another thing, even if they were to do as suggested and make a selection of stories and poems to submit to the members to vote upon in a poll, my feeling is that a certain amount of resentment from the non-selected writers will arise. It might remain unspoken, but it will happen. From comments I've read, some writers already wonder how a story or poem is selected for the EP or the RR labels.

The Mods already select the stories and poems that, to them, stand out, and accord those texts the Recommended Read sticker. Those choices are easy to pick out on the front page of the site, as are the EPs.

It's also easy to discover which stories and poems are latest, most popular, or have the most views.

There is an option for seeing those choices in a time line of recent, last month, and all time.

The idea that a member voted monthly winner for stories and poems that are submitted here for the reading enjoyment or whatever motivates each individual writer would serve to impose competitive levels for those works. Feedback in tems of popularity, number of hits, comments, votes, or lack of those things, is already in place.

Perhaps the desire to compete and be rated as Most Popular for the month would be a spur to some people, but this isn't a competitive writing site, for the most part. That last is left to the Competitions set up by and regulated by the Administrators and Mods.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks... I have been on SS long enough to have looked at it thoroughly, as have I spoken to various mods.

Yes, there is a certain amount of negativity from those whose stories do not get selected for 'special mention', but that's perfectly normal. I have yet to see any great fuss being made over the issue...

My idea is to provide a little bit of fun and encouragement. Let's face it, it has been very quiet submissions-wise these past few weeks. Okay, I accept that peaks and troughs occur, but I can see nothing wrong in trying anything 'novel' that might bring new visitors to the site -- and hopefully turn them into members and regulars.

The suggestion does put the onus on the mods: as the 'neutrals' here it makes sense for them to make the decisions as to which stories and poems to offer up for voting. It is, of course, dependent on one or more of the guys being willing to take the job on. It doesn't have to be a monthly competition: every couple of months or quarterly would be just as interesting.

A response from a mod or two would be helpful here. It is not my place or anybody else's to speak for them...
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
The mods are stretched thin as it is.

Not only are we volunteers, but we all have other full-time responsibilities requiring our attention. Owing to this fact, it's rare for more than three moderators to be active on any given day, and often only one or two are available.

Even so, we're handling well over 50 submissions a week. Most days it's a struggle to keep the number of pieces awaiting verification in the single digits.

Speaking for myself, I can't support adding another task to our already very full duty roster.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
There has been many attempts and suggestions over the years on how to fix a faulty voting system and at the same time reward excellence in writing. This is another good one, but it still maintains the same issues that currently exist. 1) all the mods here are strictly volunteer and to ask them to take on anything else would be patently unfair; 2) any process involving member voting will always end up a popularity contest as it is now.

However, all that being said, there is a shaft of daylight in Andy's recommendation and could possibly alleviate some of the heavy responsibilities of being a mod. Perhaps an esteemed panel of SS authors can be conjoined. Each SS member can nominate a current SS author to be on the panel. The top 7 will be an impartial panel of judges which would read and select the top 3 stories and 3 poems each month, ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Each SS author would be allowed to present for consideration only their "top 2" stories and poems per month. It doesn't matter if they posted 10 pieces of work that month, they would have to decide their best 2 to be judged.

To instill some excitement in the process, all work presented could be listed on the front page and as each judge reads and votes it could be updated daily and shown in a moving up and down accordingly on the list. Each judge would assign his/her vote from 1-10 per story/poem. Obviously the vote totals would be calculated and thus winners would be reflected. A perfect vote would be 70 (a 10 from each judge, highly unlikely). Judges would read and vote independently.

Since it is a voluntary panel as well and we all have other lives, that's why I'm suggesting a 2 piece limit for stories and poems per SS author (max 4 pieces each).

Anyways.. just a thought.

EDIT: I'm also suggesting to do away with the current system of mod voting and front page lists.. mods would only monitor story appropriateness and not be responsible to vote or recommend..
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I suppose rather than being a poll in the forum, there could be yet another button for us to press, marked 'story of the month', but then that means more coding, and really it would be pretty much for naught. It wouldn't be used very often, of that I'm sure. People come here to read and write. Most of us... Okay, well I'll speak just for me, I'm not that competitive. I don't care about awards, I don't even care about how I'm perceived. All I want is to sit, write, submit writing and move on. Why has everything got to be a competition? Is it not enough to just appreciate that we have some place, a moderated place, to stick our writing on?

Here's the wackiest suggestion you'll see, yet: How about everything, I mean everything, regardless of quality, gets an award just for being submitted? Call it a Bravery Award, or something. Awards this, awards that, screw that, just write and be thankful that anyone reads it. I know I am (even if I do sometimes rant... That's just me hanging myself, so sorry about that.)
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
any process involving member voting will always end up a popularity contest as it is now...

A possible solution might be for the stories & poems to be put the vote anonymously? Okay, some folks have a style of their own, which may be too obvious to some, and then there's the problem of 'canvassing' votes from friends and so on. No system is perfect but an unnamed selection of works might be a more practical solution?

Quote by Dreamcatcher
However, all that being said, there is a shaft of daylight in Andy's recommendation and could possibly alleviate some of the heavy responsibilities of being a mod. Perhaps an esteemed panel of SS authors can be conjoined. Each SS member can nominate a current SS author to be on the panel. The top 7 will be an impartial panel of judges which would read and select the top 3 stories and 3 poems each month, ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd. ...

Again, the possibility of cries of favouritism would be bandied around, in spite of the best of intentions. We are a small - but growing - community with a core of regulars who attend on a (almost) daily basis who (in my opinion) have a right to expect to be considered as panel members. Personally I agree with you, Larry, but I foresee more angst and hassle down that route. In a true democracy ALL members would get the opportunity to be part of the panel you propose, but that just seems too unwieldy and ultimately unworkable

Quote by Dreamcatcher
Each SS author would be allowed to present for consideration only their "top 2" stories and poems per month. It doesn't matter if they posted 10 pieces of work that month, they would have to decide their best 2 to be judged....

I would like to limit the competition to new works only to encourage new submissions from new contributors. My idea is to ultimately bring new blood to the site: if somebody casually visiting the site believes that they could easily earn the Story/Poem of the Month accolade it surely has to be an open invitation to everybody who visits us to have a go?

Quote by Dreamcatcher
To instill some excitement in the process, all work presented could be listed on the front page and as each judge reads and votes it could be updated daily and shown in a moving up and down accordingly on the list. Each judge would assign his/her vote from 1-10 per story/poem. Obviously the vote totals would be calculated and thus winners would be reflected. A perfect vote would be 70 (a 10 from each judge, highly unlikely). Judges would read and vote independently.

An interesting idea, but slightly unwieldy I think...

Quote by Dreamcatcher
Since it is a voluntary panel as well and we all have other lives, that's why I'm suggesting a 2 piece limit for stories and poems per SS author (max 4 pieces each).

I would be more Draconian: a maximum of ONE story and ONE poem per member per competition.

In reading Larry's reply and responding to it I have come to the realisation that this sort of thing is never quite as straightforward as it first appears. However, I do believe that something workable can be put in place if some sort of agreement can be reached on the format... and if there is a willingness to administer it. Without that commitment this idea, in whatever form, will never see the light of day.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is strictly a speculative thought. It would need to go though the powers that be to see if it were possible and acceptable.

1) No Moderator will get any additional work unless they volunteered.

2) A single person be picked to run this who is never allowed to vote.

3) The person running the voting would pick five volunteers to vote on stories/poems for one month.

4) Writers could submit only one piece total, either poem or story, not one of each.

5) At the end of the month, the five voters would list their picks of the top six poems and a separate list of top six stories. The lists will be ranked first through sixth

6) The person in charge will tally the votes; 10 points for first, 7 points for second, 5 points for third, 3 points for fourth, 2 points for fifth, and 1 point for sixth.

7) A list would be posted (probably on the forum, but possible on the front page) of the top five poems and stories by total point value.

8) Any story receiving ten or more points or that is listed on four voters' lists and does not score high enough to make the list will receive a honorable mention.

9) Writer of top scored story and poem may, if they wish, be a voting member next month. The person in charge will then pick volunteers to fill out the five person panel.

10) A voting member may submit an entry, but may not vote for themselves.

11) No voting member may be on the voting panel for six months after serving, unless they are rated number one for a month. Only exception is if no other qualifying volunteers are available.

12) At the end of the year, each monthly winner will be voted on in the same manner by a separate panel of ten voting members for the stop poems and stories of the year.

I think this would work well. Give a lot of opportunities for participation as both writers and voters. It should limit favoritism, though I think there is no way to completely do away with it. By limiting it to only one piece per writer it should give more chances to some of the less experienced writers as many writers on here are good enough to qualify in both categories. This way there will be ten different Stories Space members recognized each month. I think the biggest key is high participation as voters. If we could get enough voters, the number of voting members could be doubled, if so honorable mention requirement would need to be adjusted.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
0 likes
Small problem, many here posts like five poems daily. You said they can only post one per month. And so we would have to wait to share our stuff, this is a writing site, not a competition site. Plus what your saying is pretty much a competition anyways. And those we get every other season to spark up interest. And those have specific requirements to make them unique and challenging.

Most importantly they are set aside from the normal stuff everyone posts. And everyone will always pick favorites. Because lets see here, what if lets say margot was one of the judges. Everyone knows that we do not see eye to eye like ever. So what if I piss her off, then my story gets a low score because of personal reasons.
Or what if I was a judge, I would favor scifi over romance, while others would like "real" stories better (real as in about reality) then there would be a rift in the judging becausw they wouldn't agree who deserves that slot more.

So I think this might be a disaster waiting to happen, and that is my personal opinion if you agree or not.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
I think what Andy had in mind was a members' choice selection open to voting by all members, not a small panel of selected judges. Do I have that right, Andy?

I believe that's how I read it too.. but that's already what happens.. members are voting and it always comes down to who has the most friends willing to vote as opposed to the level of quality of the piece.. I'm not saying they aren't one in the same, but it is analogous to North Dakota trying to keep up with California in number of votes..
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
I think what Andy had in mind was a members' choice selection open to voting by all members, not a small panel of selected judges. Do I have that right, Andy?

I believe that's how I read it too.. but that's already what happens.. members are voting and it always comes down to who has the most friends willing to vote as opposed to the level of quality of the piece.. I'm not saying they aren't one in the same, but it is analogous to North Dakota trying to keep up with California in number of votes..

Agreed, but this conversation has me thinking about ways to implement a members' choice award without it being strictly a popularity contest.

It just might be possible...
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
0 likes

Agreed, but this conversation has me thinking about ways to implement a members' choice award without it being strictly a popularity contest.

It just might be possible...

A popularity contest is my main concern and it is hard for people to just agree on the same stories.
0 likes

What the heck is a member's choice if not the ones that the system has selected or recognised based on whatever criteria said system has in place to analyse the choices of the members? And more or less anonymously, at that, which means it side steps the risk of the popularity contest.

That was the point I was trying to put across when I posted the screen shots above. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my reasoning.

It isn't a popularity contest, to say the least, and it shouldn't be.

Neither is it a competition, nor should it be - in my opinion.

Most Popluar:

This month Last Month All Time

If a vote is needed to set apart the top of the month from the rest, why not just go with what the system tosses up, and submit those choices to the members in a Forum poll?

OR - why not do something to encourage more and better writing, challenging writing, for its own sake, and not for some sort of badge?

The intent of the official competitions is, in part, to draw in and encourage new members. Those competitions are regulated and have a cash prize attached.

Sorry, but the simple draw of a supplementary member's badge is nought but a watered down version of the usual competition goal.

The official competitions here have indeed drawn in new members who are after the writing prize. Rarely do they either win, or if they do, stick around and become active, viable, valuable members, posting more and more of their writing.

In my opinion, a watered down version with just a profile badge is not going to bring in many new authors, who stick around and contribute very much.

Let's get on with writing challenges that hone the skills of the members who are already here and active.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by gypsy

What the heck is a member's choice if not the ones that the system has selected or recognised based on whatever criteria said system has in place to analyse the choices of the members? And more or less anonymously, at that, which means it side steps the risk of the popularity contest.

The system counts and displays guest votes, not just member votes. What I have percolating in my mind is a members-only recognition, and safeguards would be put in place to make sure it isn't simply a popularity contest.
Connect with Maggie

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by rolandlytle
This is strictly a speculative thought. It would need to go though the powers that be to see if it were possible and acceptable.

The problem with stuff like this, and although your suggestions are good...and note that I'm saying this from experience, as I've been on this site longer than most everyone, as well as other sites...is that although all this may work real well for the first few months, come six months down the line, anything where you have to depend on consistent member participation just falls apart...maybe it's just human nature, or real life gets in the way, or whatever...but it all seems to be forgotten like a kid who just got a new toy...

A few things come to mind...for instance, a couple of years back, Yas set up a Reader of the Month thingy where we actually paid members to participate by reading and commenting...the member with the most significant comments got a neat $50.00US for their troubles...worked great for about four months, if I recall...by the sixth month, we couldn't even find enough participants if we paid them $50.00...so yeah, forgive me if I'm a bit negative on this whole thing, especially if it involves any changes to the site whatsoever...

I tend to agree with Gypsy here...about both the monthly popularity tabs and the value of the comps btw...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Lurker
0 likes

Yes, exactly.

And to address Rebs's concerns: no one member would be able to hold sway over the voting because a single vote would not make a ripple in the overall voting on a particular story.

I take on board the comments made by our esteemed mod, but would add that the last time this was tried was, quote "a couple of years back". The site has moved on since then (I hope!). There is nothing to be lost by trying again and much to be gained.

In order for this site --and any similar site -- to survive it has to mature and adapt itself to its membership. My concern is that in the short time I have been a member here we have come to a near-standstill in what we are doing. The forums attract the same people to them, nobody uses the chat rooms and submissions of new works are slow, to say the least.

We, as a community, need to attract 'new blood': maybe this idea isn't the right one, who knows? Is anybody else making other suggestions, though...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I haven't joined this thread until now, but it did keep my mind working. First of all, I don't see that standstill. I see the normal dynamics, that I see in any other community. People come, people go, only a handfull are active and the rest just reads and enjoys. I haven't found any community yet, that differs in that, regardless of competitions. I don't see anything wrong in that. Ofcourse it would be nice, if the active community grew, but even competitions with money to win fail to do that beyond the end of that competition. Why would replacing one ranking system by another one make any difference? And more important why should it? If the number of people participating in this discussion is any indication, I would say, who cares?

Any competition would become a popularity match. Nothing wrong with that either. It is a community of people after all and friendships will always influence its workings. Nevertheless I honestly believe, that the quality of the work published still is the major reason to vote on a atory. It is for me.

No competition will ever change my reasons for commenting and voting on a story. I honestly believe, the same goes for almost anyone here.
If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"
Administration
0 likes
My suggestion would be that if you guys really want something like this, then by all means do it, but it will unfortunately not be run by the site mods. We're spread too thin as it is right now and something like this can end up taking up a lot of time. Let me know and I can open up a new forum category for you to do this, but a member needs to volunteer to oversee it.

Please note - It will be a thread for suggested story/poetry picks and voting, not a discussion thread.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Lurker
0 likes
Thanks Yas. That makes sense.

As the 'proposer' of the idea I will naturally throw my hat into the ring.
0 likes
Quote by paulus
I haven't joined this thread until now, but it did keep my mind working. First of all, I don't see that standstill. I see the normal dynamics, that I see in any other community. People come, people go, only a handfull are active and the rest just reads and enjoys. I haven't found any community yet, that differs in that, regardless of competitions. I don't see anything wrong in that. Ofcourse it would be nice, if the active community grew, but even competitions with money to win fail to do that beyond the end of that competition. Why would replacing one ranking system by another one make any difference? And more important why should it? If the number of people participating in this discussion is any indication, I would say, who cares?

Any competition would become a popularity match. Nothing wrong with that either. It is a community of people after all and friendships will always influence its workings. Nevertheless I honestly believe, that the quality of the work published still is the major reason to vote on a atory. It is for me.

No competition will ever change my reasons for commenting and voting on a story. I honestly believe, the same goes for almost anyone here.

Well said, very well said. It is indeed the normal dynamics, and I have seen it both here and on other web sites, writing ones or others.

Thank you.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
EDIT: I'm also suggesting to do away with the current system of mod voting and front page lists.. mods would only monitor story appropriateness and not be responsible to vote or recommend..

This comment puzzled me for the longest time, but I haven't had a chance to get back to it until now.

Moderators DON'T select the top authors or story/poem picks you see on the front page sidebars. Those are calculated based on total votes and average score. It's all done by the system — no mod input whatsoever.
Connect with Maggie

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher

This comment puzzled me for the longest time, but I haven't had a chance to get back to it until now.

Moderators DON'T select the top authors or story/poem picks you see on the front page sidebars. Those are calculated based on total votes and average score. It's all done by the system — no mod input whatsoever.

Sorry Maggie.. I was referring to the subjective "thumbs up" recommended read and Editor's Choice connotations that in my opinion are unfair to the other writers, as well as the restricted voting in contests.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by Dreamcatcher

Sorry Maggie.. I was referring to the subjective "thumbs up" recommended read and Editor's Choice connotations that in my opinion are unfair to the other writers, as well as the restricted voting in contests.

Oh, gotcha. Well, I don't have a problem with those (and wouldn't even if I weren't a mod), but I do think recommended reads should name the mod who gave the award. EPs are a group decision, but RRs are individual.
Connect with Maggie