Login

New Poetry is Missing From Front Page

last reply
52 replies
12.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
There seems to be a problem with the front page, as there are no poems amongst the new stories. I checked in the poetry category, and there are plenty of recent poems, but scrolling back from the first page, none appear even on the second page.

This is strange - is it a bug or a new thing, no poetry on the front page?

I've also reported this using the Contact Us button, but want to mention it here as well; it's unfair to the poets to miss their chance on the front page.

If it's a bug I wonder if any other categories have been affected.

Thanks.

Gypsy
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something
Perhaps there should be three buttons on the front page: New (Stories and poems, like the old-style front page), Poems (New poems only) Stories (New stories only).

Damn it, I didn't notice there's a second button for poetry.

I'm sick with the flu, have been since Monday, so that's to blame for my missing that second button.

Personally I liked the old front page, stories & poems mixed, better.

Thanks Andrew.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Perhaps there should be three buttons on the front page: New (Stories and poems, like the old-style front page), Poems (New poems only) Stories (New stories only).

I think that is a good idea.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by rolandlytle

I think that is a good idea.

I am with just the old home page, no need to choose. Just everything new is posted like before.
"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
"If you really want to make a difference, don't over think it, just do it..."
"Scars of life are deeply etched within the minds of curious old souls."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by gypsy

Damn it, I didn't notice there's a second button for poetry.

I'm sick with the flu, have been since Monday, so that's to blame for my missing that second button.

Thanks Andrew.

Hope you are feeling better soon Gypsy. hugs
"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
"If you really want to make a difference, don't over think it, just do it..."
"Scars of life are deeply etched within the minds of curious old souls."
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by gypsy

I have a feeling you might not be the only one btw...just sayin'
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree with three buttons and perhaps that way popularity can be assessed. At the very least POEMS should have the blue background just like STORIES.
Lurker
0 likes
I have mixed feeling about the buttons. Why? Because when stories and poems where together poems would come in more and I would loss track of the sorties. So now they are separated I can keep track again. But at the same time I don't like the separation because I forget to look at the poem button. I don't know maybe I need to get use to it or something.

Anyways did that make sense?
Lurker
0 likes
they shouldn't be separated IMO.

Now I'll have to remember to click on poems.

I read more of those than stories.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If there was a third button for everything at once and it was the default setting, it would start the way it was and give the option to look at poems or stories separately.
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
0 likes
Quote by Entangled_Fate
I have mixed feeling about the buttons. Why? Because when stories and poems where together poems would come in more and I would loss track of the sorties. So now they are separated I can keep track again. But at the same time I don't like the separation because I forget to look at the poem button. I don't know maybe I need to get use to it or something.

Don't worry, it made sense.

To me, though, it seems redundant to have the second button for poetry. Because right there, in the side bar, is the button for poetry, and it takes you to the same place the other button does. Except the poems are then excluded by default from the front page, because the stories button is the default front page.

We, the active members, are going to catch on, but what about the people who cruise the web just to read, and stumble upon the site? Maybe they will completely miss the new poems because they won't venture beyond the default front page. And maybe some of them will have brains addled by being sick for five days like me, and not catch on that there is a second front page.

I know what you mean about the combined stories & poems, and maybe losing track of the stories. But personally, I've always scrolled down the front page to see at a glance what the new texts are, who from, categories, length, etc, before opening any of them. That way I get a handle on the number of new works and can juggle my reading time.

At the risk of repeating myself, it just seems unfair to the poets to be bumped aside of the default front page exposure, and to me that is wrong.

0 likes
Quote by rolandlytle
If there was a third button for everything at once and it was the default setting, it would start the way it was and give the option to look at poems or stories separately.

Exactly. And if that is the way it's going to go, it would also be nice to have a choice in our personal settings to reset the default front page once signed in, if that is what a member prefers. That way, even casual surfers would see the combined stories/poems front page.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Entangled_Fate

To me, though, it seems redundant to have the second button for poetry. Because right there, in the side bar, is the button for poetry, and it takes you to the same place the other button does. Except the poems are then excluded by default from the front page, because the stories button is the default front page.

We, the active members, are going to catch on, but what about the people who cruise the web just to read, and stumble upon the site? Maybe they will completely miss the new poems because they won't venture beyond the default front page. And maybe some of them will have brains addled by being sick for five days like me, and not catch on that there is a second front page.

I know what you mean about the combined stories & poems, and maybe losing track of the stories. But personally, I've always scrolled down the front page to see at a glance what the new texts are, who from, categories, length, etc, before opening any of them. That way I get a handle on the number of new works and can juggle my reading time.

At the risk of repeating myself, it just seems unfair to the poets to be bumped aside of the default front page exposure, and to me that is wrong.

I agree with you. Poems are important too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by the_enchantress

I agree with you. Poems are important too.

I agree. Presently there seem to be far more members whose main interest are the poems rather than the stories. We need to keep that in mind.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Entangled_Fate

I agree with you. It isn't fair to the poets, plus there are far more members that are interested in poems.
0 likes
One thing I want to state clearly is this: no matter what category a member has posted a text in, that text is entitled to have its place on the front page, the equivalent of a day in the sun. All texts are bumped down as new texts are posted, and that is right and good.

That is one of the reasons why a one front page appearance per member per 24 hours is the rule. No flooding the front page, no huge influx of stories/poems/musings or other from any one person.

All categories combined, regardless of how popular or obscure a category might be.

It is unfair to Poetry, which is hugely popular, but it would be equally injust to have Poetry as the default page.

Thank you for listening. Back to feeling sickly.

Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by gypsy

Thank you...and if you notice, when you click on "Poetry" in the side bar, you again get that "Stories" and "Poems" option, which really makes absolutely no sense...

Btw, there is another site similar to Stories Space on the net which does not have that issue...I have a feeling this is an issue that will be corrected in the near future, with any luck...

And hope you feel better soon there Gypsy...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

0 likes
So I already know my initial opinion is going to be dreadfully overruled and cause a whole commotion that nobody wants. So I might to provide a possible solution. Not everyone likes stories, not everyone like poetry and those short micro fiction pieces, which is understandable for both sides, not everyone's tastes are the same.

So how about we have everything on the main page, and then we have the second and third tabs to choose either stories or poetry or whatever. Or if your one of those extremists you can go into settings and just block whatever genre you don't wish to read or write and it clears the page of those certain genres.

I can personally say that I really don't fancy poetry that much, and seeing the front page is almost always filled with poems everyday, it gets difficult to find stories till eventually I just don't feel like reading anything because all I can find is poems, but that is more so that most people don't write stories anyways. It isn't really anyone's fault that half the people here are poets and even the people who write stories shove out a poem or two every once in a while.

Everyone's work is important, and deserves a place on the front page, so maybe we use the old front page and and keep the new front page as a secondary and third tab for those few oddballs like me.

Does that make sense?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I want the front page as it always was, stories AND poetry. In my opinion, all new work should appear on the front page, regardless of category. Buttons to switch off either poetry or stories are fine by me, but it should be a conscious choice, not a default. I hadn't noticed those new buttons, so I missed a lot of new poetry and imho, that sucks.
If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Rebellious_Soul
So I already know my initial opinion is going to be dreadfully overruled and cause a whole commotion that nobody wants. So I might to provide a possible solution. Not everyone likes stories, not everyone like poetry and those short micro fiction pieces, which is understandable for both sides, not everyone's tastes are the same.

So how about we have everything on the main page, and then we have the second and third tabs to choose either stories or poetry or whatever. Or if your one of those extremists you can go into settings and just block whatever genre you don't wish to read or write and it clears the page of those certain genres.

I can personally say that I really don't fancy poetry that much, and seeing the front page is almost always filled with poems everyday, it gets difficult to find stories till eventually I just don't feel like reading anything because all I can find is poems, but that is more so that most people don't write stories anyways. It isn't really anyone's fault that half the people here are poets and even the people who write stories shove out a poem or two every once in a while.

Everyone's work is important, and deserves a place on the front page, so maybe we use the old front page and and keep the new front page as a secondary and third tab for those few oddballs like me.

Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me, but I already said it, only I was unusually succinct, for someone who usually rambles:

Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Administration
0 likes
Personally, I like the option of toggling between poetry and stories, but this is your site, so we have to listen to what is more convenient for everyone. We will see what can be done about adding a third button, which I think is a good idea.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
Personally, I like the option of toggling between poetry and stories, but this is your site, so we have to listen to what is more convenient for everyone. We will see what can be done about adding a third button, which I think is a good idea.
I have nothing against toggling between poetry and prose, but imho it should be optional. The buttons on the left already offered that option of chosing a category. What happens now, is that poetry is hidden out of sight initially and that isn't even done consistently, because songs still appear among the prose
The simplest solution: restore the old front page. Every new submission deserves that exposure, if you want to toggle, fine, add tabs or use the buttons on the left, they always worked fine.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm giving this one a bump, because poetry still isn't back on the front page. It bugs me, that it is singled out and moved to the second rank. I also still wonder why and why, if this really is our site, we weren't asked for our opinion on the subject first. In my humble opinion, there should be no difference. All new work deserves the same amount of spotlight, the same exposure. To hide one specific category behind a button simply isn't fair.

Lurker
0 likes
I disagree, Paul.

Having the poetry submissions accessible through its own button makes far more sense. The two genres are entirely different so why not separate them? Neither category is being "hidden" or given preference as both buttons are equally and freely accessible.

It seems to me that the 'traditionalists' here do not like change. It is not OUR site, anyway: it belongs to those who set it up and administer it. If they decide to make changes without consulting the members, that is their right.
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

It seems to me that the 'traditionalists' here do not like change.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
I disagree, Paul.

Having the poetry submissions accessible through its own button makes far more sense. The two genres are entirely different so why not separate them? Neither category is being "hidden" or given preference as both buttons are equally and freely accessible.

It seems to me that the 'traditionalists' here do not like change. It is not OUR site, anyway: it belongs to those who set it up and administer it. If they decide to make changes without consulting the members, that is their right.
It was one of our esteemed moderators, that referred to ss as "our" site, earlier in this thread.

Having poetry submissions accessible through its own button does make sense, but not just for poetry. As far as I know, that option already existed. I always thought, that was the purpose of the buttons on the left.

The current situation however is, that ss knows 22 categories, if I counted right. Of those, 21 are shown on the homepage, the page everyone goes to on typing www.storiesspace.com or after tapping or clicking on the sitename. All categories, except poetry. Poetry is the only category that requires an extra tap or mouseclick to be accessible. In other words, everything gets exposure on the homepage, except poetry. That makes no sense at all.

Afraid of change I most certainly am not, but I just don't agree withbthis particular change, because it clearly discriminates against one specific group of writers, those that write poetry.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, this site can change anything they wish on the appearance or rules of Stories Space without any consultation or approval by the members. It is owned and the owner or their representative have that right.

I can tell you from first hand knowledge that every Mod on this site (except maybe me, I think benevolent dictators are great) greatly appreciates the input and desires of the members. There are many discussions on ideas and inputs by you, the members. I admired the work and efforts the Mods where doing for us, but once I was in their circle I got to see the full extent of their dedication.

This issue is not being ignored. Recently we have had a big influx of new writers (very good ones too, I must say) and stories/poems. At the same time we had a shortage of Mods for various reason, including myself for a few days. (Sorry about that, not my choice) The Mods that were available were very busy doing their primary responsibility, getting your submissions posted. I will look into what specifically is going to be done and post my finding here on this thread.

Thank you for your patients.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We are looking at getting a third button that will allow the member to click that to have both stories and poems visible like it used to be. That way, everyone wins. Please be patient in regards to this and we will see when it can get done.

Thank you.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Blue
We are looking at getting a third button that will allow the member to click that to have both stories and poems visible like it used to be. That way, everyone wins. Please be patient in regards to this and we will see when it can get done.

Thank you.

Thanks, Blue. That is the best solution.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal