last reply
86 replies
2.6k views
2 watchers
36 likes
Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by Violet_the_Verbose

I just sent my two stories to you. Hope the formatting is mostly alright. Wasn't sure what a standard manuscript looks like.

She told me upthread she wasn't too concerned about format since she was going to reformat it anyway.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Shy Scribbler
1 like

It's fine, Violet. All will be reformatted to match KDP template I will use. You will each get to see final to sign off on.

And Stories Space wants to be the publisher now, so "Stories Space Publishing" is now the publisher of these anthologies instead of my LLC. This is probably a better way to drive traffic to this site which would benefit us all. smile

I am working on a 2nd cover option for your review. May set up poll to choose.

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

And Stories Space wants to be the publisher now, so "Stories Space Publishing" is now the publisher of these anthologies instead of my LLC. This is probably a better way to drive traffic to this site which would benefit us all. smile

Sounds good. I like the idea of associating it officially with the site.

Quote by WriterGirl
I am working on a 2nd cover option for your review. May set up poll to choose.

Look forward to it.

My Second Chances submission should be in your Inbox.

I've hit a snag with "The Empty Office" for Spooky Tales. It's one of the ones that I lost the original Docs file in "the big oops" and the PDF I have is created from "printing" the site's copoy using MS's Print to PDF driver so it's an image rather than text and Word can't convert it. Going to see it I can find some software to OCR it.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Google to the rescue. Found a free OCR. Sadly, it's a bit of a mess (as usual for OCR'ing images) so major editing job ahead.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Just seen the thread and a little late. This looks good. But, like others have said, my entry wasn’t one of the winners, or shortlisted, ones. So should it be included? Not sure.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by BillySoho

Just seen the thread and a little late. This looks good. But, like others have said, my entry wasn’t one of the winners, or shortlisted, ones. So should it be included? Not sure.

WriterGirl says she wants all of them. It's not a winners anthology, it's a comp anthology. Mine is in, as is my Spooky Tales story which was top ten. Go for it. Your story is wanted.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I've got an account for 50 free images legally available from DepositPhoto for book covers if you want to browse them. I've probably used 10, so would be free to share. They are good, and there is a lot of variety. Message me if you are interested.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Google to the rescue. Found a free OCR. Sadly, it's a bit of a mess (as usual for OCR'ing images) so major editing job ahead.

I can get you a copy of your story if you still want it. It would be in its original format. Let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Brad_Naylor

Quote by Mendalla

I can get you a copy of your story if you still want it. It would be in its original format. Let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Already fixed and submitted.😊

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by Brad_Naylor

Quote by Mendalla

Okay, but if you ever need a story ripped from a protected page, I still have the tools from when I worked in IT.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by Brad_Naylor

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by Brad_Naylor

Quote by Mendalla

Okay, but if you ever need a story ripped from a protected page, I still have the tools from when I worked in IT.

The bear actually pointed out that I could have just edited the story and copied the text from the editor so that's how I will do it in future. I actually could have extracted the text if it was text. The problem was not security but the way the pdf was generated took images of the document rather than text, hence using OCR.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

TASK 1:

1) email me your word or Google doc of your story to

2) subject line either "Second Chances" or "Dark Matter" for your do-over entry or spooky comp entry. If in both comps, send 2 separate emails (these are titles for now until we can discuss options)

3) must include following verbiage:

I am submitting the attached story for the Second Chances (current name of second chances-themed collection as of 02.16.2022) or Dark Matter (current name of spooky-themed collection as of 02.16.2022) Short Story Anthology produced by Kimberly Cundiff. I assert that I am the sole originator of this story and that no other person or entity has any claims or rights to this story, for which I will retain complete ownership rights. I will grant one -time publishing rights for that publication only. All other rights to the story will remain with me as the author. I acknowledge consent that I will not receive any monetary payments for my inclusion in that anthology. I acknowledge my awareness that all publishing profits will be remitted to www.StoriesSpace.com.

Author’s Desired Publishing Name:
Country of Residence:
Story Title:
Number of Pages:

Can I turn my google doc into a pdf to send to you?

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Okay, I am done or mostly done with all my recent obligations. I'd love to be part of this anthology and I'll have a version of Monster ready by the end of the week (I promise changes will be minor!). Do I just send you the .docx, WriterGirl? Do I need to do anything else? I've been a bit out of the loop on this.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by WriterGirl

TASK 1:

2) subject line either "Second Chances" or "Dark Matter" for your do-over entry or spooky comp entry. If in both comps, send 2 separate emails (these are titles for now until we can discuss options)

I am submitting the attached story for the Second Chances (current name of second chances-themed collection as of 02.16.2022) or Dark Matter (current name of spooky-themed collection as of 02.16.2022) Short Story Anthology produced by Kimberly Cundiff. I assert that I am the sole originator of this story and that no other person or entity has any claims or rights to this story, for which I will retain complete ownership rights. I will grant one -time publishing rights for that publication only. All other rights to the story will remain with me as the author. I acknowledge consent that I will not receive any monetary payments for my inclusion in that anthology. I acknowledge my awareness that all publishing profits will be remitted to www.StoriesSpace.com.

Country of Residence:
Story Title:
Number of Pages:

Just send her a share link. That's what I did.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal

Okay, I am done or mostly done with all my recent obligations. I'd love to be part of this anthology and I'll have a version of Monster ready by the end of the week (I promise changes will be minor!). Do I just send you the .docx, WriterGirl? Do I need to do anything else? I've been a bit out of the loop on this.

Actually, the post that OpheliaTusk quoted has the details. It is this one:

https://www.storiesspace.com/forum/site-announcements-and-members-feedback/second-chances-anthology?post=190276

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by WriterGirl

TASK 1:

Country of Residence:
Story Title:
Number of Pages:

yeah, I don't want to share access to my google drive document with someone I don't know that well, call me paranoid. it's legitimate and medically diagnosed (schizophrenia). so if she could answer herself on if I can send a pdf in an email with that disclaimer that I get no money and my preferred publishing name, that would be great, thanks.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by WriterGirl

TASK 1:

Country of Residence:
Story Title:
Number of Pages:

yeah, I don't want to share access to my google drive document with someone I don't know that well, call me paranoid. it's legitimate and medically diagnosed (schizophrenia). so if she could answer herself on if I can send a pdf in an email with that disclaimer that I get no money and my preferred publishing name, that would be great, thanks.

Download it as a Word file. In Google Docs go to File - Download - Microsoft Word. Then send her the Word file. I don't recommend PDF for this because she needs to be able to extract the text and format to the spec she needs for the publisher.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by WriterGirl

TASK 1:

Country of Residence:
Story Title:
Number of Pages:

Download it as a Word file. In Google Docs go to File - Download - Microsoft Word. Then send her the Word file. I don't recommend PDF for this because she needs to be able to extract the text and format to the spec she needs for the publisher.

Thankfully I have MS word on this laptop. I appreciate your help. Apologies for being a bit terse. Just woke up. Bitter cold out. Haven't taken meds yet. But I went on and sent my story. So at least when I am in the passionate throes of my attention span's whimsy I won't have forgotten. It will be good to see my story in print in an actual book smile

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Quote by WriterGirl

TASK 1:

Country of Residence:
Story Title:
Number of Pages:

Thankfully I have MS word on this laptop. I appreciate your help. Apologies for being a bit terse. Just woke up. Bitter cold out. Haven't taken meds yet. But I went on and sent my story. So at least when I am in the passionate throes of my attention span's whimsy I won't have forgotten. It will be good to see my story in print in an actual book smile

No probs. I have days like that, too. And I'm kind of pumped, too. I had looked at self-publishing some of my stories a few years back but decided I just didn't have time to do a proper job of it.

Shy Scribbler
2 likes

Hi all! Took a break, had a medical thing, was feeling a little stressed and overwhelmed, but am back and will catch up on this thread, messages, and work more on this over the weekend. 😊

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

Quote by redwriter

Hope you have time for these queries. Before that I have no objection to your 2nd checker viewing and polishing my two entries. Nobody's perfect! (Now where did I hear that?)

Query one: Should there be a time limit on entry so there is no last minute straggling?

Query two: Author name--do you think it best that we all follow the same route? All pen-names or all proper names.(not necessarily genuine). Strikes me that uniformity would be more attractive. I note in your first example it is all proper names and looks neat and professional. As does your brief but most succinct suggestion for the back cover.

---‐----------------

Great points!

1) yes, I'll set a deadline to get stories to me once I hear from Nic. And I'd love everyone included so I'll pester those i don't get timely email from.

2) I think proper names would look more professional too if everyone agrees. Of course if doesn't have to be your actual name if you want privacy. This isn't smut, so hopefully not as much secrecy is required. If you disagree, mention here, please.

So we're going with proper names then?

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by JLA

So we're going with proper names then?

I think so. As she says, more professional looking. If privacy is a concern, you could use a pen name.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Update: 3/13/2022

Oh my goodness, I feel awful, but am going to have to bail on the anthology. I hate breaking a commitment more than you know, but need to cut some responsibilities as I've picked up more issues with my parents. Mom's quit eating and Dad's had health issues surface this month that are going to require my time. Aside from the time factor, my mental health is suffering due to stress and heartache over my parents. And I've had my work responsibilities increased as well.

Again, I'm very sorry. I know sorry doesn't cut it and I understand your disappointment you will no doubt feel.

I won't be on here or the other site much for a while, but wish you all well.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

Oh my goodness, I feel awful, but am going to have to bail on the anthology. I hate breaking a commitment more than you know, but need to cut some responsibilities as I've picked up more issues with my parents. Mom's quit eating and Dad's had health issues surface this month that are going to require my time. Aside from the time factor, my mental health is suffering due to stress and heartache over my parents. And I've had my work responsibilities increased as well.

Again, I'm very sorry. I know sorry doesn't cut it and I understand your disappointment you will no doubt feel.

Don't worry, Kimi. real-life must always come first. There are supposedly admins who look after the site. I am sure that they could do something if they really wanted to.

More importantly, look after yourself and do what you need to do to stay well.

My best wishes to you for your future health and well being. 🤗

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Crazy old ape
0 likes

I would love to pick it up but (a) full-time job that is eating up most of my weekdays and (b) I have not the foggiest idea how to go about it. That said, if someone who does know what they are doing can provide help and guidance... maybe. We would probably be looking at Summer release, though, by which time there will probably be another comp or two

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

Sorry to hear your parents are having troubles again. Take care of them but also remember to take some time for self-care. Burning yourself out doesn't help them.

Sending good vibes and hope to see you back eventually.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

It's all good, WG. Your life, your health, and your family are so much more important. Take the time you need - and don't worry about disappointing anyone: you were the one doing all the work!

I have some experience with Amazon, so if there is a finished manuscript I can help shepherd it through. But I'm guessing preparing the manuscript is the truly difficult part. Anyway, feel free to drop me a line if you want some help. I just hope you're taking care of yourself and doing better. Love and hugs to you and your parents.