Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.3k replies
406k views
17 watchers
955 likes
Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Comp theme led me to these pics. What does this look like to YOU? A sax player or a woman’s face or maybe something else?

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Do you see a skull or a woman looking in the mirror?

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Last one… no choices, what does this look like to you?

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Great visual writing prompts WG! Looking forward to reading your entry. Should be a good comp.

I woke up too early yet again. The result of Talia being gone, I think. Oh well. I’ll kick out errands early and try to take a nap. Early game today too. That helps.

Frick, I’m tired. Coffee would be wonderful.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Mystica Flora
1 like

Good morning, everyone.

Thanks for the photos, WriterGirl. I'm fairly certain one sees a certain object depending on whether one is focusing on the white or black, or in the last photo, the obvious (flowers and butterfly), or the abstract woman's face. Or it could depend which part of their brain they are exercising. The last photo reminded me of the first. All photos reminded me of a psychology test. It was fun and interesting. I was in graduate school for Psychology: Mental Health to become a therapist but left because I realized it wasn't my calling in life. Anyway, thank you for that fun little exercise. I believe your entry will be interesting to read. I'm looking forward to it, as I am all entries.

I like waking up early, verbal. I used to wake up at 4:00am. It's a nice start to my day. I know it's different in your case. I hope Talia comes home soon.

Have a beautiful day, everyone.

Splendor

Dream On competition; dream, imagine, peace

Shy Scribbler
1 like

I think you are right, Cora! I saw the images that were more black. And took me a while to just see the flower and butterfly in last. I just saw woman’s face. smile

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Quote by WriterGirl

I think you are right, Cora! I saw the images that were more black. And took me a while to just see the flower and butterfly in last. I just saw woman’s face. smile

Interesting; thanks for sharing. 😊 I noticed the black images first as well; I wonder what the world of Psychology has to say about that. 😉 However, I noticed the flower and butterfly and woman's face somewhat simultaneously. I find the human brain incredibly fascinating.

Splendor

Crazy old ape
0 likes

My first reactions were:

First was WTF?. I couldn't see either option at first.

Second was skull. Probably reflects my rather dark side (read some of my horror if you don't know what I mean)

Third was woman's face nicely outlined in by the flowers and butterfly.

Good day!!

Been busy with meetings this morning so just getting in. Putting on some Tobermory Flowerpot island coffee and some Green and Red Rose teas.

My flailing writing seems to be extending to this comp. Got either a beginning or an ending written but not sure I want to use it. Still, we shall see.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Mystica Flora
1 like

At least you have something written, Mendalla, even if it is a beginning or ending. I have no doubt you'll eventually write an entire story.

I'm eagerly awaiting comp entries. I'm very interested to see writings from authors and their different perspectives on the theme. Unless I'm sparked by inspiration for this comp I don't think I'll be entering, but I will be reading. I have ideas for other stories/poems and I'd rather focus my energy and inspiration on that. I've just been frustrated by not being able to come up with an idea.

Splendor

Shy Scribbler
1 like

Quote by Cora

I'm eagerly awaiting comp entries. I'm very interested to see writings from authors and their different perspectives on the theme. Unless I'm sparked by inspiration for this comp I don't think I'll be entering, but I will be reading. I have ideas for other stories/poems and I'd rather focus my energy and inspiration on that. I've just been frustrated by not being able to come up with an idea.

you have plenty of time, Cora. And reading a few other entries will probably help you think of an idea. I think we are all probably trying to avoid the common one where a couple is caught in a position that looks like something it’s not. But that idea could still be written with an original feel or humorous way.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Thanks, WriterGirl! Yes, I have a month to possibly write a story but the first few days I was thinking continuously about an idea, going back to my childhood. I couldn’t think of anything. But as you wrote, I thought to myself maybe reading some entries might spark something. I hope so. Thank you for your most encouraging comment. ❤️

Splendor

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

Intriguing picture puzzles, WriterGirl. And congratulations on becoming the first entry (no mean feat). And your adaptation of a real event is done so authentically it is commendable.

Having decided that, because my brain has forgotten how to spell, I'd best give up on the comp, I unexpectedly came up with a little idea. So I started making notes, but quickly realised I've always developed ideas during the act of writing. So that is what I am doing. It might need the fully month--but we shall see..

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Quote by redwriter

Intriguing picture puzzles, WriterGirl. And congratulations on becoming the first entry (no mean feat). And your adaptation of a real event is done so authentically it is commendable.

Having decided that, because my brain has forgotten how to spell, I'd best give up on the comp, I unexpectedly came up with a little idea. So I started making notes, but quickly realised I've always developed ideas during the act of writing. So that is what I am doing. It might need the fully month--but we shall see..

Aww, many thanks! I always enjoy your entries, so glad an idea hit you. smile

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Yay! Red is in. Now I have to get going.

Got some Kicking Horse 454 brewing in the coffee pot. For teas, I went with English Breakfast and Original Earl Grey. Washed the pitchers and put in some fresh iced tea and lemonade. Soda stock looks good. Hot water is available for other teas and hot chocolate.

Bit chilly round these here parts but it is April so not really unseasonable. Tomorrow is looking good, though.

My own comp entry is not progressing but I think I have a fairly light weekend coming up. Though for some reason my migraines always seem to hit on weekends these days, and that's not conducive to writing.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

Good morning, everyone.

Nice to see you post here, Red. It’s been awhile. I hope to see more posts from you, WriterGirl.

Not sure what the day holds for me. My morning has been pleasant thus far.

I hope you all have a beautiful day.

Splendor

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Glad to see you are pressing forward Red. And congrats to Ms. Girl for being a first one out of the gate.

Still waking up too early every day. Wah. I can’t wait for Talia’s return.

The beautiful weather is leaving today, slowly transitioning over to thunderstorms. I can dig it. I love watching storms swoop over the mountains and across the Eastern plains.

A TON of coffee please.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Uh oh, I spotted a typo in comp piece where I called character by wrong name. I pulled it up in edit, changed name, hit Republish and story just sits in Drafts. It doesn’t say pending or anything. sad Did I mess up? Have I now lost votes and comments I had? I sent Molly a note. Darn it!!! It’s first time I’ve tried to edit a published story on this site.

Mystica Flora
1 like

WriterGirl: I’m fairly certain if you edit a piece, it needs to be resubmitted as if it were new. If this is the case, your story was up for less then 24 hours. I’m sure you’ll get more votes and comments. At least you saw and read who responded to your piece.

Splendor

Crazy old ape
1 like

Editing in place shouldn't lose votes and comments. That's only if you take it down and republish. I does need to be reverified. Maybe PM the original verifier or Molly?

Quote by WriterGirl
It’s first time I’ve tried to edit a published story on this site.

Will be the same as on (never mind). Same software right down to irritating bugs like words breaking weirdly in the forum editor but formatting correctly when you post.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by WriterGirl

Uh oh, I spotted a typo in comp piece where I called character by wrong name. I pulled it up in edit, changed name, hit Republish and story just sits in Drafts. It doesn’t say pending or anything. sad Did I mess up? Have I now lost votes and comments I had? I sent Molly a note. Darn it!!! It’s first time I’ve tried to edit a published story on this site.

I've gone in and edited stories a ton, both here and at a similar site. All the votes and comments stay. The only downside s the story being down while it's being re-modded.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Ok, thanks, all! It looks different that it doesn’t say pending approval. Just sits in drafts with no option than preview. Hopefully Molly can sort it out. I probably did something wrong.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Time for some inspiration of the black, caffeinated kind. Could be some dark roast coffee, if that floats yer boat. Or some Scottish Breakfast or Russian Caravan tea.

We also have our cold beverages for those who prefer that. Iced tea, lemonade, and an assortment of sodas (cola, ginger ale, lemon-lime, cream soda, root beer, and more, all in both sugar and diet).

I have a beginning and an ending. That accounts for about 500 words. Now I need a middle to connect them. That'll be the other 4500, assuming I can figure out what the heck is supposed to be happening in this story. Right now, it's a bit of a mystery, even to me.

Don't see Writergirl's story back yet. Hope this is fixable soon.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Yeah, the downside to editing after submitting is that the story disappears into a hole for awhile. That said, I think I’ve edited every story I’ve ever posted - my proofing skills are poor, and I never know when to stop rewriting.

Woke up too early again. Thank God Talia is home soon.

I have several friends back in my NYC days that succumbed to drugs and liquor - I’ve been writing about them the past few days. Tough work, but worthwhile, I think.

Anyway. Another thousand gallons of coffee please.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

I'm glad you have a start to your story, Mendalla.

Good to know Talia will be home soon, verbal. Hopefully you will then sleep better.

Splendor

Crazy old ape
1 like

FYI, if you haven't noticed, WG's story is back up. And it is a good one. Do read. Funny thing, as I commented on the story, is that I didn't know the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel was actually that old and I have been through it. As mentioned in other discussions, I live a couple hours from Windsor and we often fly out of Detroit.

Shy Scribbler
1 like

Hiya! Whew, Molly worked her magic to get my story back out, and she said it took some doing.

I look forward to reading y’all’s. smile

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Well, I hope somebody out there is getting sun because we sure aren't. Downright miserable out there today. And not supposed to let up until mid-week, either. Oh well, saves watering the lawn and helps gets my various plants in shape before things get dryer in the summer.

Putting on some Fire-Roasted Spring Fling medium roast in the coffee pot. Teas are Canadian Breakfast and Raspberry Royale. Cold drinks all looking good. Hot water is on for other teas and hot chocolate.

Working away on my probably, hopeful comp entry but LibreOffice (my tool of choice) wants an update first.

Mystica Flora
0 likes

It's a nice Spring day here. As beautiful as sunny days are, I also very much enjoy the rain, especially thunderstorms.

Mendalla, Red, and all others who are entering the comp, I'm looking forward to reading your stories. I hope your writing process is going smoothly.

Splendor