Find your next favourite story now
Login

Another think coming? Really??? 17 Phrases you're probably saying wrong...

last reply
19 replies
9.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something
I've had rants about that. Epic rants, too.

If you really want to read some Epic rants...I shared this in a writing group, and somebody posted this...if you really want entertainment, this will keep you busy for quite a while...note the suggestion that you "start reading at comment 289"...

You've got another 'thing' / 'think' coming? - WordReference Forums
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=87385
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Administration
0 likes
Don't think I've ever misused any of those. I do use 'towards' though, it's acceptable over here.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
my fav is.. despite vs. inspite
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have never made any of those errors. I also know the correct usage of all other commonly misused words and phrases. My parents and both sets of grandparents were sticklers for correct usage. Being the eldest grandchild by four years, and an only child for the first five years of my life, I was under their influence and tutelage more than might otherwise have been the case.
"Any book not worth reading twice was not worth reading the first time." Oscar Wilde
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by DLizze
and an only child for the first five years of my life, I was under their influence and tutelage more than might otherwise have been the case.

Technically, I've been an only child all my life...it doesn't mean I know anything btw...I have three step-sisters, the result of my parents re-marrying, but I never actually lived with them, except for a six month period where I stayed with my father, step-mother and her two daughters back around 1990...

Anyway...this subject has caused remarkable debate in writing groups, and I'm talking about some very experienced published authors who can't seem to agree here...nice to see that some NYT bestselling authors agree with me though...almost makes me feel like I know something...well, almost anyway...

SCORDATO, C. via yahoogroups.com
Jul 25 (1 day ago)

to LibertySpeaks

No way, Alan. It’s “another thing coming” here in NJ as far as I know. I saw a discussion on this and apparently the thing/think change is regional.

I, too, am guilty of the adding the “s” on toward, etc.

Caridad Piñeiro
NY Times and USA TODAY Bestseller
For those who live to love on the edge
NOW AND ALWAYS, June 2013, re-release
FAITH IN YOU, July 2013, re-release
TO CATCH A PRINCESS, August 2013 Entangled Suspense
Visit http://www.caridad.com for additional information

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The incorrect use of the word 'literally' gets on my nerves.

I'm guilty of saying towards. And I can't quite get used to the sound of 'another think coming.'

Very interesting link!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
According to a recent blog by grammar girl either toward or towards are perfectly acceptable. Outside the U.S. it is towards but we prefer toward. I know when I am editing I always change it to toward. The better answer is to know your target audience and write accordingly.
I just keep hopping from place to place.
I never stay too long.
I just keep moving singing a song.
So you better stop me if you want to chat.
Or you will never know where I am at.
0 likes
Guilty... except for couldn't care less. Unless I could care less then I would say that. Lol, but I can't help what was wrongly programmed into my head.
0 likes
I had though that when they said another thing coming it meant they would have hit you. It made sense to me then.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I are confused.. literally..
Rest in Peace
0 likes
i'am literally sitting here in the dark wondering how to play this game y'all seem to know so well
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
Anyone who thinks I probably say those phrases incorrectly has got another think coming.

Isn't got superfluous in this sentence?
"Any book not worth reading twice was not worth reading the first time." Oscar Wilde
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by DLizze

Hmmm...there's one in every crowd...now you got me almost as confused as Larry...the key word here being "almost"...

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by DLizze
Anyone who thinks I probably say those phrases incorrectly has got another think coming.

LOL – Yes, I guess it is, but that's the colloquialism I was raised with.

(I sincerely hope no one suffers bodily harm because of a violent reaction to seeing that I ended the preceding sentence with a preposition. )
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DLizze

LOL – Yes, I guess it is, but that's the colloquialism I was raised with.

(I sincerely hope no one suffers bodily harm because of a violent reaction to seeing that I ended the preceding sentence with a preposition. )

I believe it was Bernard Shaw who on said, "A preposition is a fine thing to end a sentence with."

But I may be mistaken - or he may have simply been quoting Dr. Johnson (or his biographer, James Boswell).
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Hmmm.. well that is certainly a stitch in time while I saved a penny with a bird in my hand... oh hell.. let me think about it.. maybe Alan knows...