Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
A Fair Exchange

"A light hearted romp involving a rather naive young paladin."

10
5 Comments 5
1.5k Views 1.5k
1.9k words 1.9k words
Chastity gently pulled back on the reins, halting Stormcloud’s progress, a bewildered look upon her face. She could have sworn she’d passed through this meadow earlier. Unrolling her map, she studied it carefully, making note of the location of the river that passed through the Faerie Kingdom. According to Glint & Barnes, there should have been a bridge here and yet, obviously there was none. The pathway simply led to the waters edge and stopped. Tapping the gray-coated war-horse with her boot heels, she rode forward, gazing out across the river, hoping to find a ford. Once again, luck was frowned upon her.

"Cursed place," she muttered, under her breath, brows knitting beneath her helm. Ever since she and Stormcloud crossed the border separating the Faerie lands from Kingsland, everything had gone wrong. It had seemed such a good idea, too. A short cut that would save her days of riding. Sighing, she turned the stallions head upriver, hoping to find the missing bridge or, failing that, a safe crossing.

An hour later, she brought Stormcloud to a halt again, letting out a frustrated groan. "This is the same meadow! There’s the rock that looks like a turtle and the tree stump with the pretty yellow flowers growing out of it. And there’s the small spring with the pretty blue pebbles. Drat and Dang!"

Stormcloud snorted loudly, seeming to agree with his mistress. After all, he was the one doing all the walking. He stood patiently while Chastity once again consulted her map, her frown growing in intensity as she muttered wordlessly. Finally, she sighed, rolling it up once more and pushing it into her sword belt.

"I think it’s time for a break, Stormy. What say you?"

The stallion chuffed his approval, nodding its head in reply and settling the matter.

Dismounting easily, she stripped saddle and bridle from her equine companion before offering him an apple from her saddle bags which he made fast work of as she stroked his long nose fondly. They’d been together ever since she’d been bestowed Paladinhood by Father Lew. He’d been a steadfast and loyal friend, never failing her. Smiling, she rubbed him down carefully, looking to his comfort before her own. Only then did she walk over to the small boulder that she’d named turtle rock the first time she’d passed this way, to sit and think things her way through this awful mess.

"Many problems are solved through thinking, not action." She recited Father Lew’s words after her last adventure. That hadn’t gone as well as she’d hoped either, although she still maintained that it was hardly her fault that they’d set up camp near a gryphon’s lair. After all, it hadn’t been marked on her map, something she’d taken pains to point out at the time. Now, she began to wonder if it was the mapmakers at fault. She’d have to have a word with Master Glint and Master Barnes upon her return. If, that was, she ever found her way out of this thrice cursed place.

"What I wouldn’t give for a nice sign post," she muttered, drumming her heels upon the rock as she sat looking forlornly across the river. "Even better, an inn, with roast boar and candied yams and fresh baked biscuits and huckleberry jam."

Stormcloud rolled his lips back over his teeth and turned one bright blue eye in her direction. She smiled, nodding at the beast. "Yes, a hot bath and a feather bed would be most welcome as well."

Eyeing the swiftly flowing water once more, the idea of a bath and a good night’s sleep still lodged in her head, she noted a deep looking pool just upriver of the meadow. Deciding that it wouldn’t hurt to explore her surrounding a little while the stallion rested, she pushed herself from the rock and strolled upstream, her polished armor clanking softly with each step.

From the reeds, unseen, a pair of curious eyes watched the holy knight approach. The sprite known as Sheshiashu had seen her pass this way twice, wondering why the human woman didn’t simply use the bridge to cross the river, knowing from her speech that that was her goal. Snickering, she wondered if perhaps she didn’t know of its magical properties of remaining unseen until trod upon. Wondering if perhaps she should share that knowledge, and what price she would charge for doing so, she watched in silence as the woman is the pretty shiny skin stopped upon the river bank. She stood there for a long while, overlooking Sheshia’s favorite pool, the one where the dragonflies played their morning games with her, before doing something very odd. Like a snake, she began to shed her skin. Curious, the sprite continued watching, wondering if perhaps she was done with it.

Chastity dipped her toes in the pool, carefully balanced on a flat rock at the waters edge. She let out a delightful shiver, the water being cool but not cold. A perfect place to wash the dirt and dust from her travels away.

Perhaps, once she was clean, she could lay out in the meadow, warmed by the sun, and think of a proper solution to her dilemma. Staring down at her reflection, she smiled. Few would question her status as a warrior when garbed in armor. And yet, divested of the dwarf forged metal, she still looked the simple farm girl who’d wanted more then a home that leaked when the winter rains passed through and a foul tempered husband who sired baby after baby upon her until she was old and gray.

Recalling Father Lew’s lectures on modesty and humility, she felt a guilty twinge as she studied her reflection. The girl who stared up at her was quite pretty. A round face, dimpled cheeks, and large blue eyes. Blond tresses framed her face in waves, tips teasing her shoulders. At 21, her generous breasts were still quite firm and her narrow waist made her hips look pleasingly full. She was tall for a girl, something the farm boys had made fun of. Who would have thought that it would turn into an asset when armed with sword and shield? She had never regretted leaving Rathsville and taking up arms for the church, not even on her worst days, this being one of them.

With that thought, she stepped out over the pool and let herself fall, letting out a playful shriek as she hit the cool water, sinking in up to her waist. Splashing water playfully, she did her level best to wash the grime from her skin, using a handful of rough leaves to scrub until she couldn’t stand it anymore. Then, with a contented sight, she raised her hands skyward in silent thanks, throwing in a heartfelt prayer for guidance. Finally, feeling better about the whole ordeal of being lost, she pulled herself back up on the rock and let the water run from her before donning her armor once more. That is, she would have if it had been where she’d left it. Strangely enough, it wasn’t.

She frowned, her eyes seeking out Stormcloud, letting out a relieved breath to see him still standing where she remembered leaving him. Then she spied her sword and shield, propped against turtle rock, exactly as she’d left them. Still, there was no sign of her plate and chain, nor the quilted tunic she wore beneath them. Even her underthings had seemingly disappeared while she’d been bathing. Had some thief been by? Or, perhaps, the fey magic of the place that kept returning her to this very spot had also somehow sent her clothes elsewhere? Brows knitting in confusion, she chased about the meadow, looking for some sign of what had happened here, ultimately finding nothing. Finally, exasperated she sat herself down on the boulder against which her sword and shield rested, shed a tear or two of frustration, and turned her attentions to what to do next.

One thing was for sure, even if she could find her way across the river, she couldn’t very well go forth dressed as she was, which was hardly dressed at all. At best, she’d be laughed at, and at worst, she’d attract the attention of unsavory characters. Should she solve the mystery of her missing armor first, or concentrate on finding a way across the river? It was all quite vexing, truly. Once again, she decided to turn the matter over to wiser council. Kneeling beside the rock, she took her holy symbol in hand, the single adornment she’d not shed, close her eyes and prayed.

Unseen, Sheshiashu had watched the human’s strange behavior with a puzzled frown. If it had wanted to keep it’s skin, why had it just left it lying about? Still, apparently it was upset by the loss. Mulling over the problem at hand, the sprite recalled the words she’d overheard earlier. The foolish creature was looking for a way to cross the river. An idea sprang to mind, something that was more then fair. In exchange for the shining skin she’d claimed she’d reveal the faerie bridge. Much more then fair, in truth. Closing her eyes, she gathered up as much water magic as she could safely control and used it to reveal the narrow bridge across the wild river, holding onto it until the human woman could see it, and waited. And waited some more. And then, waited some more while Chastity knelt in prayer, eyes squeezed shut. Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore. Summoning a sliver of water, she diverted a vestige of magic to turn it to ice. Ice spear in hand, she took careful aim and flung it with all of her might towards the kneeling human.

Chastity shrieked, eyes going wide as she slapped at the sudden pain in her bottom. A bug, seemingly, had bitten her while she prayed. Leaping to her feet, she swatted at the air, lest others of it’s ilk were about.

"I have had about enough of this." She growled, temper flaring. "If I…" she never finished the thought, suddenly catching sight of the shimmering passageway over the water. "Stormcloud! Look! The god’s have answered my prayers and sent us a bridge of light! Quickly, we should cross before it disappears!"

Not wanting to risk displeasing the gods, she took up her sword and shield, saddled up her war-horse and led him swiftly across the water. Once they reached the other side in safety, she wasn’t surprised to see the structure disappear as if it had never been. Heaving a sigh of relief, she pulled herself up on the Gray Stallion and once again consulted her map, trying to ignore the cool breeze that reminded her of her state of undress. Truly, if the gods had provided a bridge, perhaps they’d provide clothing before she reached a civilized settlement. In the meantime, she’d heard that faeries often went unclothed. If anyone asked, she’d pretend to be one of the fey folk. For now, she was simply happy to be across the river and once again, on her way.

Published 
Written by sprite
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments