Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A World Without Me

"Avery thought he was just a cat."

3
4 Comments 4
1.1k Views 1.1k
2.3k words 2.3k words
Prologue

I breathed out heavily as I turned the key and entered my rundown apartment. Every evening seemed to start this way. Only tonight there was something different.
"In you come," I coaxed, and the small black cat went through my legs into my home.

The cat had no collar nor had I seen it before. I picked it up just after I had left work, he seemed hungry and was very skinny. I felt sorry for the thing, so out of the goodness of my heart I led it back home. It seemed to enjoy being inside - it even started to purr.

Smiling down at the cat, I closed the door, and hung up my coat. The cat started to rub its body around my legs purring madly.

"I take it you're hungry? Well I don't have any cat food," I said, taking off my work overall and replacing the name tag that said 'Avery'. "I've got milk and some leftover pasta that I wasn't planning on eating. You have it, what's left of it anyway." I took out the band holding up my thinning brown hair and let it fall over my face.

I dumped my overall at the back of my couch. The cat followed me as I made my way to the fridge. It was empty - good thing pay day was tomorrow. I grabbed the small amount of milk and the leftover pasta. Turning the tap on, I began to wash three small dishes. I quickly dried them and set two of them on the floor. I poured out some milk and scraped half of the pasta in the other dish. The cat lept at the food and eat as if it was his last meal.

"Geez, you really are hungry," I laughed. I put the rest of the pasta into the third dish and chucked that in the microwave.

The cat had moved from the pasta to his milk then looked up and me. I smiled at his small milk like beard. "That's a good look for you."

I outstretched my arms and used the counter to keep myself upright. Being a waitress was harder than it seemed - and barely any pay was good. Even if I did get tips.

I watched the cat gobble his food and inhale his milk. I watched as he trotted over and sat just in front of me. Then he smiled. It was weird, he did actually smile. At first I thought my mind was playing tricks on me and didn't react. What I did react to was him talking.

"Thank you, Human," the cat said.

My mouth hung open and shivers ran over my body. This wasn't right. Of course how could it be?! Was I so lonely in my life that I was imagining that a cat was talking to me? Yes, that was the only answer I could come up with at the time.

"Human, again thank you," the cat spoke again. "Maybe you shouldn't be here."

You guess to what he meat was as good as mine. But seconds after the cat spoke a bright light exploded around my apartment. I tried to grab something but the counter had just disappeared. I fell back and the whiteness was replaced with dark shadows.

The next morning I woke up in a sweat. It was a dream. Just a dream. I felt relaxed and lay back down. Only the bed wasn't my own.

I was about to scream when an argument stopped me.

"How could you bring a human here!? I'm so angry; I could kill you!" an angry voice bellowed.

"Come on. She isn't what you think, she isn't like other Humans," a second voice tried to reason.
It was the cats voice. So he really can talk.The angry voice laughed. "All Humans are the same, I have studied many Humans. They are greedy, selfish and don't take well to the unknown. What makes you think this one is different?"

The cats voice didn't answer.

I took this time to grab a weapon, anything that might help me through this and get to work on time. I wound up having a lamp in my hand and gripping it so tight my fingers turned yellow. I steady my breathing and stood my ground.

"Do you even realise that she is awake," the angry voice sounded calmer.

"She is!?"

The door burst open and two men stood. One had a smile that reached ear to ear and his ears were on the top of his head. Small black ears stood proudly on his head. All strength evaporated from my arms and I dropped the lamp. The only thing I could look at was his ears, I couldn't even tell you what his hair colour was.

"Um...miss?" The former cat said. "Are you okay?"

That's when I snapped. "Of course I'm not okay!" I yelled. "Where the hell am I?! Who the hell are you?! And why aren't you a cat anymore?!" I started to pant, forgot that I had to breath after each question.

The guy behind the cat looked annoy so he slapped his forehead. "Humans. They are as stupid as Shape-Shifters."

"Shape-Shifters? Wait?! You're a Human!"

After I tore my eyes away from the cat ears I took a look at the other guy. He was taller than the cat - about a head and a half. Much more mean looking, his brown eyes seemed to stab right through me. Yet his blond hair gave him a somewhat gentle look. He looked me up and down with searching eyes - what he was looking for I didn't know.

"I'll have you know, I am much superior to your disgusting race," he seemed highly insulted that I called him a Human.

The guy was Human though! Unlike the former cat guy, he didn't have any unusual features. Remembering about the cat guy I looked back at him to get a better look. Tan skin, blue eyes, black hair. He would seem like your average (really good looking) guy. Minus his cat ears and tail.

"Okay then! Who are you people! Why did you kidnap me?! When my father finds out I'm gone he's gonna hunt you down!"

I lied. I had no family, left anyway.

The cat boy seemed worried, so worried that he rushed to my side. Naturally, I socked his chin and ran outta there. Forgetting that the blond guy was still standing at the door. He pushed me back, but I was going nowhere. I got ready for him to hit me or something but all he really did was sigh.

"Told you didn't I. Humans are a pest, they always think they know everything," he looked at me and smirked.

I was completely confused. And wanted explanations.

"I'm really sorry miss, if you think I have kidnapped you," the cat guy came over to me. He bowed his head in apology.

"Eh?!" I pushed my eyebrows together.

"Allow me to explain," he took my hand but I stanched it back.

"Yes you can explain, it'll be like the idiot teaching the idiot," said the blond head. He then closed the door and I heard a faint noise of a TV.

"Miss, I am truly sorry that I have caused you so much grief. But if you'll let me ex-"

"Quit with the apologies and just tell me what I want to know!" I snapped, more harshly than I intended to.

The cat guy smiled and nodded his head slowly. "Sit down and I'll tell you, I'll tell whatever you wish to know."

I did what he told me and sat on the edge of the bed. He stood in front of me, waiting for his first - of many - questions.

I started with an easy one. "Who are you?"

"Oh! I am so sor-" I gave him a look. "My name is Tabby. I am the cat you helped, thank you by the way."

"Where am I?"

At this the guy bit his lip. It took him a while to answer but when he eventually did...well.
"Not on Earth...if that's what you think."

Chapter 1: My Non-Earth Hell

My jaw hit the floor, well not really, but you get the idea.

"Um...Miss?"

Tabby waved his hand in front of my face. Stund, I didn't know what to do or say. At times like this - not that I have ever randomly found myself not on Earth any more - I normally lash out.

"Then where the hell am I?! Why did you take me?! What the hell are you people?! What do you want with me?!" I screamed to the heavens, once again, forgetting to take a breath.

"Miss, please. Try not to be so rash," Tabby said, giving a sheepish smile.

"Rash?! Don't tell me not to be rash!" I barked. I took in one deep breath, mainly to keep myself from doubling over. "Okay then...if I'm not on Earth. Where am I?"

Tabby stopped sweating over my hysterics and breathed a small sigh of relief. "This world is parallel to your own world. We have everything you have only...there are no Humans."

"Okay...(?)" I rubbed my forehead. "So what populates this place?"

"Supernatural Being's, such as myself. We come in a rage of forms, from Ghosts to Shape-Shifters." When he said 'Shape-Shifters' he smiled.

"That's what he called you," I pointed to the door. "So you can turn into an animal then?"

"Yes and no...I can only turn into a cat, hence the ears and tail." He wiggled both.

"So why did you bring me here?" I was somewhat calmer and was able to ask with a straight face.

"You see..." Tabby's ears twitched and his face reddened. Rubbing the back of his neck, he looked bashful. "I...I...wanted to meet a good Human," he smiled through his blush.

"Eh?"

"See in this world, we don't like Humans. But I was sure there had to be some good ones out there!" he seemed determined. "So I wandered in your world. Our rules state that Shape-Shifters must remain from showing their true form in the Human world, so I was forced to stay a cat. For weeks a roamed, hungry and not knowing how to get back home."

"That's when I found you, back at that dumpster, you were meowing so loud that I just couldn't let you stay there," I laughed, but cut myself off quickly.

"Uh-huh. You found me, you were the only one that let me eat, the rest screamed and yelled at me. But you, you didn't." He smiled so warmly at me it was as if the sun had entered the room. "So...I took you here."

"Why?"

"I don't...really know."

He sheepishly smiled.

I rolled my eyes and stood up. "Okay, so you're a weird Shape-Shifting thingy that's took me to this other world?"

"Yes! That's exactly it-!"

"You think I'm stupid!" I stood up, sharply. "Where are the damn cameras?! Come on out! I know you're all there, laughing at me!" I looked around the room, but saw no one come out. A few seconds later and still no one laughing 'You're on Worlds Greatest Pranks'.

Nothing.

"So you really are telling the truth?" I said, letting drop of nervous sweat pour out.

"I am sorry miss. Uh...I'm sorry," he rubbed the back of his neck again. Was he always this nervous? "But if you don't mind me asking, what can I call you?"

"My names Avery," I sighed, rubbing my temples as if that would make all this magically disappear.

I heard him smile. I heard his footsteps come closer to me. His hand outstretched to shake mine. "Hello, Avery. I'm Tabby. It's nice to meet you." There was that warm smile again. So warm that it even challenged the sun.

For some reasons - I blame the smile - I took his hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you."

He didn't seem so bad. Maybe this was just a big misunderstanding. I mean just his smile alone and you could tell he was a 'Good-Guy'. Not so sure about the blond guy - speaking of which.

"Hey, what about your friend. The one you were arguing with."

"Oh! Him. Well I guess you should meet him."

I followed Tabby out into the living room, my eyes still trying to get used to seeing his cat features.
The guy sat on the couch, long legs spread out along the couch, his hand was in his hair while the other held the TV remote. He looked at Tabby, then as he turned his head he took a small glance at me and continued flicking through the channels.

"Quit being so rude. Introduce yourself." Couldn't have put it better myself, Tabby.

He sighed heavily. "Fine then." He stood up and looked at us. "I'm Belljno."

"Then...what are you?"

"Humans, no matter how many I have studied they always are an idiotic race."

I swallowed all my rage in one bitter gulp. "Answer my question." Okay, maybe not all of it.
"How old do you think I am?"

Weird question, but I looked him up and down. He was tall yet had a somewhat muscular build - as if he went to the gym maybe three times a week or so. I scanned his face and saw maybe one forming wrinkle. He couldn't be anymore than twenty-eight.

"Twenty-eight," I said with confidence.

"Wrong!" he smiled, so smugly that it made my face scowl. "I am in fact, one hundred and six."

Well that I wasn't expecting.

Published 
Written by Niraco
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments