Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Full Blue Moon Chapter 3: Bonding

"Hiro picks himself up, with the help of Kana by his side."

1
1 Comment 1
883 Views 883
4.4k words 4.4k words
Hiro's alarm clock rang. He was still sleeping in his textbook, unbeknownst to his alarm. After five minutes of it ringing, Fuji came in and turned it off. He looked at his son, took his rolled up newspaper, and slapped him in back of the head.

"WAKE UP!"

"Ahhhhhhh!"

Hiro nearly fell out of his chair. He rubbed his head to see his father in a light blue silk robe. Hiro looked at him as if he were a stranger.

"Dad?! What are you doing here?"

Fuji looked around the room, went into the living room, then back into Hiro's room.

"I... I live here?"

"Oh, right."

"I had the day off so I figured I would surprise you."

"Even on your days off, sometimes I still don't see you guys..."

The smile on Fuji's face went away, and his face saddened.

"I'm sorry we haven't spent much time together, but today I plan to make the most of that time, but not now."

"Why not?"

"Look at the clock."

Hiro looked back at his alarm clock. It read 9:45.

"I only have 15 minutes!"

"You were studying too hard. At least if you're late, it was for a good cause."

"Not helping!"

Hiro ran past Fuji and hopped in the shower. After a quick rinse, he put on his uniform and quickly looked at himself in the living room mirror.

"Good enough. I'm leaving now."

"You'll need this, Hiro."

Shami came from the kitchen holding a wrapped up bento. 

"I haven't made lunch for you in a while, and you were running late so I thought I'd save you the trouble."

Hiro took the bento, then looked at both his parents. He smiled, but still felt this sense of doubt in his chest. He didn't get to see them often, which was another reason for the anger in his heart. He didn't get too excited seeing them together. He figured this might be a one time thing, then they'll be working again and Hiro may not see them for awhile.

"Thank you mom. I'll see you all later."

***

Walking to school, Hiro felt a big chip leave his shoulder. 

Kentaro won't be here for awhile. That makes me feel a bit better at least.

He went to his first and second classes, focused and wide awake. Biology soon came around and Hiro took his seat in the third row of the classroom.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

"Huh? Uhhh no go ahead and- BAAA!"

"It's not polite to yell in a classroom Hiro." Kana stood next to him, smiling.

"Kana, what are you doing here? Don't you have history this period," Hiro asked still shocked.

Kana handed Hiro her schedule. He looked it over to see that history and biology were switched.

"So for third period, you'll have biology here?"

"Yeah, I noticed we didn't have any classes together so I thought I'd switch it around."

"How were you able to pull that off?"

Kana tilted her head and winked at Hiro.

"Don't underestimate my negotiation skills. It wasn't hard at all, I'm still new here you know."

"I'm uhhhh, not sure how to interpret that... Well, you'll have a hard time staying awake in here. Mr. San does a lot more lectures than actual biology."

"Then I should pass with flying colors. Speaking of passing..."

Kana took her seat next to Hiro and looked him directly in the face.

"I see you're having trouble in this class and in your other ones."

Hiro looked at her with sneaky eyes.

"What...gave you that impression?"

"Don't try and pull a fast one on me Hiro Yatakashi. Now as your closest friend and bestestest friend and only friend-"

"Bestestest is not a real word... Get on with it." A vein popped in his forehead. 

"Well anyway, I dug into your grade book and seen that you've been slacking in your classes."

"How did you gain access to my grade book?!"

"Again, that is strictly confidential. You just need to stop slacking."

"I wouldn't say slacking. I've just been distracted lately."

"Are your distractions related to Kentaro?"

"Yeah..."

"Well you don't have to worry about him. As for those grades, I'll be willing to tutor you."

"You will?"

"Of course."

More students filed into the classroom. 

"Hey is that Kana? Hey Kana!"

Kana turned her head to see Setsuna smiling at her.

"Oh hey Setsuna. You're in this class too?" Kana asked.

"I should be asking you that. Did you switch classes or something?"

"Sure did. Funny how that turned out."

"Sweet, maybe this class will be more lively. Hey Hiro, bet you're glad that jerk Kentaro is gone now," Setsuna said in a high pitched tone.

"I guess so." Hiro didn't make eye contact when he said that. He laid his hand on his cheek and twirled his mechanical pencil in his right hand. Setsuna raised an eyebrow and put her hands on her hips.

"At least look at me when I speak to you. Jeez..."

Mr. San tapped his chalk on the board, getting the student's attention.

"Alright everyone, take your seats. Class has begun."

Mr. San was writing today's lesson on the board. 

"I'm suspecting everyone thinks I'll be giving another lecture today. Well be grateful." Mr. San began passing out packets to the students. "Today it's just a simple worksheet. You're able to work in groups and I expect this to be done by the end of class. Chop chop."

All around students were gathering in groups. Hiro's eyes wandered to the students pushing their desks together, groaning about the assignment, but laughing about other things. He just rolled his eyes at them. He couldn't help but remember the painful memory of his fights with Kentaro. He all saw them staring, walking away, and laughing when he was beaten down. Hiro's hand turned into a fist as he clutched the pencil tighter.

I wish I could just turn those smiles into cries of agony...

Feeling a warm hand on his fist, Hiro turned his head towards the owner of said hand.

"Kana?"

"Would you like to work with Setsuna and the others?" she said with a smile.

"I...usually work alone."

"Oh well that's too bad. Let's go."

Kana dragged him out of his chair and across the floor.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Hiro began kicking at the floor like a child.

"Oh be quiet. You could use the company."

Setsuna, along with her two friends Ayame Hanashi and Mei Okana, were working in the back of the room. Ayame had short, dark red hair with small dark red eyes. She wears two yellow scrunchies around her wrists and stands around six feet tall, her height being her most noticeable feature. Mei had blond curly pigtails with small black ribbons attached to them. Just like Ayame's height she was noticeable for being short, standing around four feet. 

"Mind if we work with you girls?" Kana asked.

"Not a problem, as long as it gets me from doing this work," Setsuna said, putting her pencil down.

"I'm with you there. Biology sucks." Ayame folded her hands behind her head and leaned back in her chair, looking up at the ceiling.

"You're both just lazy..." Mei said in a soft but firm voice. She began flipping through the textbook looking for the answer to the next question.

"Hey I work! I just don't feel like it today," Ayame said, defending herself.

"You're just lazy," Mei repeated.

"Ugh, whatever."

"Okay Hiro," Kana said picking him off the ground. "Let's get to work."

"Yippe..." Hiro took a seat next to Mei. He looked over at Mei's worksheet, and noticed how far ahead she was. She was nearly done with the whole thing in such a short amount of time. Hiro's eyes softened. It reminded him of his past self, of how hard he use to work. Afterwards, he just stopped caring, and his grades slowly declined.

"What is it?" Mei said, catching Hiro staring at her worksheet.

"I'll take over." Hiro took the book and looked at where Mei stopped. "Question 16 right?"

"Yes. Thank you for your help."

Hiro cringed. He hasn't heard anybody thank him for anything in years. It felt weird hearing that.

"Yeah, no problem. Let's just get this done."

For the remainder of the class period, Mei and Hiro were working on the problems. Kana, Ayame, and Setsuna simply copied their answers. Mr. San collected everyone's worksheets, then the chime rang. Setsuna stood up and stretched her arms out.

"It's finally lunchtime. Let's head to the rooftop."

"Wanna come with us, Kana?" Ayame asked.

"Sure. How about it Hiro?"

Hiro looked at the four girls, then averted his eyes away.

"Maybe some other time. You girls can go without me."

"Man what a party pooper... Well, I'll see you after school. Meet me in front of the entrance, and don't leave."

"Alright then."

The four girls left the room, leaving Hiro to eat by himself once again.

***

The girls stopped by the cafeteria, then made their way to the rooftop. Kana went towards the edge and put her hands on the fence overseeing the entire school. From the swimming pool to the track fields, and the entrance. 

"This is an awesome view. Stupid Hiro, he never took me up here." Kana said that last bit under her breath. 

"It's nice up here. It's better than eating in that noisy cafeteria," Ayame said, eating a sub sandwhich.

Mai said nothing as she smoothed her skirt and sat down. She had her homemade chicken and rice in her bento box. She pulled her chopsticks out and ate. Ayame glanced down at Mai's food.

"No," Mai said catching Ayame's eye.

"I didn't even say anything."

"No."

"You are so impossible. What are you eating Setsuna?"

"Just an apple." Setsuna tossed the apple up and down, occasionally looking at Kana. Kana was still looking at the track and field ground, where students were running laps.

"I'm going to come up here more often," Kana exclaimed. She turned around towards everyone. "Hey guys, maybe we can-"

Before she could finish, Setsuna threw her apple at Kana's face. With quick reflexes, Kana caught the apple.

"Hey, what gives?!" Kana yelled, looking at Setsuna.

Setsuna smiled and sprinted towards her. She jumped in the air, and spun around ready to deliver a spinning side kick.

"It's sparring time! Haaaaaa!"

Kana sidestepped Setsuna's kick as her foot kicked the fence, rattling it.

"Hey guys, aren't you gonna say anything?" Kana asked, looking at Mei and Ayame.

"This isn't new," Ayame said, drinking her juice. "She practices her martial arts up here. She told us you were the daughter of her sensei, so she was going to challenge you."

Mei finished her food and wiped her face with her pink napkin.

"You shouldn't be fighting here, but that's not my business."

"We have some time left before lunch ends. If your mom is my Sensei, then her daughter must be just as good," Setsuna said getting into her fighting stance.

"So that's why you lured me here. Okay, I accept your challenge! Since we're limited on time..." Kana threw the apple high in the air, and took her fighting stance. "I'll have to defeat you post haste!"

"Tsk, don't underestimate me!"

Setsuna began punching left and right, but Kana calmly misdirected her punches using her palms. 

"Fight back! I thought you said you'll quickly beat me!" Setsuna used her right leg to kick the side of Kana's face.

"Fine then!" Kana tilted her head slightly to the right so the kick wouldn't hit her face. Instead, Setsuna's leg struck Kana's neck.

"That's gotta hurt," Ayame said, flinching at the sound of impact.

Setsuna smiled to herself, believing she stuck a blow, but she also saw Kana smiling.

What's she up to? Setsuna thought.

"I have you now!" Kana grabbed Setsuna's leg using both her arms. 

"What?! So you let me kick you?" Setsuna yelled.

"By tilting my head, the impact wasn't so bad since you missed the mark. Now it's my counter chance!"

Kana used her left leg to step in the inside of Setsuna's leg. She pulled her leg back and swept Setsuna's right leg.

"Gaaaa!" Setsuna crashed to the ground.

"Now for the fun part," Kana said with an evil smile on her face. 

She grabbed her right leg, and twisted Setsuna around, having her stomach on the ground.

"What are you doing?!" Setsuna yelled trying to wriggle herself free.

Kana sat on Setsuna's backside, and pulled her legs.

"Boston Crab!" Kana pulled with all her might.

"Waaaaaaaaaa!" Setsuna screamed out in pain. 

Mei and Ayame stared blindly at what the fight turned out becoming.

"When did this...become a wrestling match..." Ayame said with dull eyes.

"Wrestling is a form of martial arts...I guess..." Mei said with the same dull eyes.

Setsuna's face was twisted in pain, and as much as she didn't want to...

"Okay okay I give up!" Setsuna began slapping her hand on the ground, signaling her defeat.

Kana stood and cuffed her hands over her mouth like a microphone.

"And the winner by submission, and still undefeated, Kana Komoui! Rawr rawr raaaaaaaa!"

Setsuna slowly stood, placing her arms on her back.

"You were just toying with me. Juna-Sensei doesn't teach us wrestling moves," she said glumly.

"She doesn't hahaha. It's just something I picked up when I started martial arts. You're not half bad, but a long ways off trying to take me on."

Setsuna scowled and turned her head away. Kana placed her hand out.

"Now for that apple."

They awaited for the apple to ascend down, but nothing happened. Ayame looked up toward the sky.

"You might've threw it too high..."

"Ouch! What the hell?!"

The sudden outburst came from Mr. San. The four looked through the fence and saw Mr. San outside. He rubbed his bald head and picked up the apple. 

"Who's the wise guy throwing apples?!" 

The four slowly backed away from the fence. 

"Wow would you look at the time gotta go!" Kana raced toward the door and flew down the stairs. 

"The chime is about to ring. We should hurry back." Mei followed after Kana.

Setsuna and Ayame were the only ones left on the roof.

"So your plan backfired. What'll you do now," Ayame asked Setsuna.

"There's only one thing I can do. Now that I have a rival, I need to get stronger. She may have won this battle, but they'll be plenty more to come.

***

As the day ended, students were leaving the school grounds. Hiro leaned against the school building, waiting just as Kana told him to.

"Man, what's taking her so long? Telling me to wait and she doesn't have the decency to show up on time."

He put one hand in his pocket and slung his bag over his shoulder.

"I'm leaving."

A hand grasped his shoulder.

"And who gave you permission to leave?"

Hiro turned around and saw Kana smiling at him.

"Did I make you wait long, Hiro?" she asked.

"Not particularly long... Where are we going anyway?" 

Kana took his hand and led him away from the school.

"I just found this place yesterday, and I just know you'll love it."

"I hope I can trust your judgment," Hiro said, a bit worried.

***

"I hate your judgement..." Hiro dropped his bag and got on his knees.

"Stop acting like a baby. I'm doing this for you, so be grateful."

"But why the library? I don't even like the library personally."

Kana picked him up by his collar.

"Let's get studying." 

As soon as they entered the library, Kana gasped at the amount of books the place contained. Rows and rows of books were beside them left and right.

"This place is soooooo big."

"It's just a library. Don't they have one in West Point?" Hiro asked.

"Yeah, but not like this. Hey, there's a stairwell. Let's see how high we can go."

Kana began racing up the stairs.

"Oh boy..."

They made it all the way to the fifth floor of the library. Kana placed her hands along the square railway looking down.

"Wow, we're really high up aren't we?"

"Yeah..." Hiro put his bag down and crept behind Kana. "It would be a shame if you just fell over!" Hiro pushed Kana's back a little, making her tip over.

"AHHHHH STOP!" Kana quickly pushed off the railing, and her head threw her head back. 

"GUAH!"

Kana's head smacked Hiro's forehead. He closed his eyes and began rubbing his aching forehead.

"I didn't think you'd react like that..."

"If that was your idea of a joke, it wasn't funny! Don't do that again!" Kana's eyes flared with anger.

Hiro looked taken aback, his shocked and surprised. He never seen her angry before, even if they only known each other a short time.

"Sorry," he said sitting down at the table.

"Well, I'm scared of heights, so just keep that in mind when you pull a joke," she said looking out the window. Various people were walking the streets, and she could see the downtown district of Junbai. Hiro took out his homework from his bag.

"So tell me why we couldn't have gone to the library at school?"

"Too many people. A local library is more quiet and seclusive. Right now, we're gonna get your grades back to the way they were before Kentaro came into the picture."

"You could've at least changed them if you had time to snoop."

"You'll have to earn the grades youself. Now let's get to work."

***

After two hours of homework and studying, the library was ready to close up. They walked out, and saw the glow of the orange sun setting over Junbai city.

"We been in there for quite awhile. I appreciate the help Kana," Hiro said as they walked through the library doors.

"No problem. We'll be doing this more often so come prepared. Well, I'm off."

"You live around here?"

"It's a ways off but I live within walking distance of the school. I'm guessing you walk home too?"

"Yeah."

"Cool, maybe we can walk to school together tomorrow. See ya Hiro."

They both went in opposite directions. Hiro shook his head, thinking about Kana.

She's a strange one. I can't believe she's willing to go so far for me. It's funny though, Kana keeps reminding me of how I use to be...but that's over now. Everyone abandoned me when I needed them, so I can't go back to that.

Hiro made it home when the sun started setting. He unlocked the door and when inside. The house was dark and quiet, but he was use to that. He flicked on the light to the living room.

"BOOGALOO BOOGALOO BOOGA!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Fuji jumped from behind the door and scared Hiro.

"Ahahahaha! You should just see the look on your face! Oh boy I got a kick outta that," Fuji said wiping away the tears from his eyes.

"Yeah very funny old man.."

"We've been waiting for you all evening Hiro. Sit down and eat before your dinner gets cold."

Shami was at the dinner table, a feast of food was on display. Hiro stared at his parents.

"What...is all this," Hiro asked confused.

Fuji sat beside Shami.

"I believe this is what they call a family dinner. Now hurry and let's eat. Me and your mother are anxious to hear about your day."

Hiro put his bag on the floor and sat at across from his parents.

"Your mother thought that we should eat as a family for once. It's been awhile since we've done that."

Hiro couldn't remember the last time they ate as a family. Him, his mother, his father, and his older sister, Kirameki. 

She was 25 years old, eight years older than Hiro. When she finished high school, she had an overwhelming desire to travel, and given her straight A+ status, she was given an opportunity to study in America. She jumped at the chance, and was gone when Hiro entered high school. She hasn't visited in three years, but calls and writes every now and then. Hiro looked up to his big sister. Much like him, she always lended a helping hand to others, and if bullying became an issue, she could solve it with her fists, but much rather prefer words.

He missed her, he wanted to talk to her about his problems in his first year, but knew it'd be pointless. She wasn't here with him, and words can only stretch so far. Afterwards he didn't call and write like he use to. The difference which he believed separated him and her, was that she had the knowledge and the strength to help others. Hiro had knowledge, but not the strength, and that's what crushed half of his confidence. Still, he always kept his big sister in mind, and how she did her best in helping others. That's what he inspired to be like.

"If only Kirameki were here..." Hiro said looking at the empty seat beside him.

"You know how Kira is. She was never the type to stay in one place for long. Always on the move," Fuji said eating his food.

"You should give her a call Hiro. She'll be interested to see how you're doing," Shami said.

"Yeah, yeah I might do that."

"So where've you been this whole evening?" Fuji asked.

"I was at the library with a friend."

"A friend," Shami said.

"Yeah, her name is Kana Komoui."

Shami nearly spit out her food. 

"Mom, what's wrong?!"

"No no, I'm fine. I ate a little too fast I guess. You said this girl's name was Kana?"

"Yes. She from West Point city. She moved here a week ago."

"I see..."

"So Hiro, are you gonna make your move?" Fuji asked raising his eyebrows.

"What do you mean, Dad?"

"You're already talking to the new girl huh? I know there's more to school than just education."

"It's nothing like that at all. I just ran into her in the hallway, literally. After that I showed her around the school. Then she offered to study with me."

"Ahhhhhh, study buddy huh? When are we gonna meet this Kana?"

"What are you getting at..."

"I'm just curious. I say we should meet this girl. She seems like a keeper. I didn't know my son was a ladies man. Just to let you know I had all the women on me in my college days."

"No you didn't," Shami said.

"They just couldn't resist this stud. I was pretty popular."

"No you weren't."

"Then I met your mother. Boy was she a big-"

Before he could finish, Shami slapped him out of his chair. 

"You don't need to exaggerate so much! Half of those things never even happened!"

"But Hiro doesn't know that!"

Hiro chuckled, then it turned into a full laugh.

"Hahaha!"

Fuji and Shami were going back and forth about their encounter in college. Hiro looked at his mother and father.

This feeling, I've experienced it before, but it almost feels foreign. I hope we all have more days like this.

***

The next day came and Hiro got ready for school. 

"I'm off."

There was no answer. Hiro sighed and began to close the door.

"Have a good day son," Fuji said.

"Make sure you study hard," Shami said.

Hiro heard the voices and opened the door back up. His parents were standing there in their robes. Hiro looked back at his parents. He smiled, then closed the door.

"So Kana is here huh? That means Juna and Han are too," Shami said, looking at her husband.

"Asahi told us to tell him, but you were against it so much that she let us off. Looks like she wanted Kana to take care of it."

"I'm just afraid of what might happen to Hiro."

"Just keep positive. Everything will work out. Besides, when was the last time you've seen our son that happy? When have we seen him smile?"

"I know, but still... I don't want his smile to fade away, because of this."

***

"Hiro! Wait up!"

Halfway on his way to school, Hiro heard Kana's voice behind him in the distance.

"Morning, Kana." Hiro stopped walking to let Kana catch up to him.

"Today we're going to the library again."

"What kind of greeting is that, and the library again? You know, I was never the studying type."

"Is that complaining I hear? After all that tutoring you're gonna brush me off?"

"No, I didn't mean it like that."

"As long as I'm here I'm gonna get you back to the way you were, then you won't feel this way, alright?"

"And what way am I feeling exactly?"

"You're doing it right now."

"Doing what?!"

"Hahaha, it's incredibly fun teasing you. So library today right?"

"Ugh.... Fine..."

"Atta boy!"

***

Over the next month, Hiro's grades increased substantially. He and Kana went to the library three times a week. He found himself comfortable talking to Setsuna, Mei, and Ayame, although he didn't socialize with anybody but those four. He also began seeing his parents a bit more often. Everything seemed to go right for him. 

One day, Kana and Hiro walked home from school. They were leaving the grounds of Seru High.

"These tests are killing me," Kana said in an irritated voice.

"Me too. I haven't studied so hard in my life. If it wasn't for you, I'd have failed a long time ago."

"Lets just get outta here."

"Woah, there, you're not leaving just yet girl," a rough voice called out behind them.

Hiro stopped in his tracks. He'd know that voice anywhere. The same voice that tormented him for years. 

"Ken, Kentaro!"

I've spent like, a month here, but I haven't seen anything... noteworthy from Hiro. How am I suppose to break this to him without him thinking I'm some kind of witch? Damn, why do I have to do all the awkward stuff? -Kana Komoui

Published 
Written by Crescent_1
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments