Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
A Most Unpredictable White Elephant

"My first time playing White Elephant."

3
3 Comments 3
88 Views 88
417 words 417 words

White Elephant is a game I have long detested because it involves stealing gifts from others. The game has been played at the annual Christmas Party for the past two years in a group I belong to.

The first year White Elephant was played I did not go to the Christmas Party solely because the game was being played. The second year, this year, I pushed my morality reasoning aside and thought the party as a whole might be fun.

I walked with two others to the Christmas Party the night it was held. I placed a nicely wrapped unused journal next to the myriad of gifts before taking my seat at a table. After talking with some familiar faces, present time began.

I was one of the last to choose a present. My number was called and I walked past the tables to the front of the room. I chose a gift bag and pulled out a shiny red tin box. I opened the box and saw a jewelry box. I opened the jewelry box and instantly smiled. The joy of what I received was overwhelming. Showing my gift to the ladies, I said, “Thank you!” before taking my seat. 

I was talking with my best friend about my gift while looking at it when suddenly a lady took the gift from my hand. After the shock and disappointment wore off, I got up and walked to the front of the room. I chose another gift bag. Inside was tissue paper and something wrapped in bubble wrap. I reached in and took the wrapped object from the bag. Curious as to what the gift was, I unwrapped it from the bubble wrap. I smiled when I finally saw what it was, and again, joy filled my heart. I said, “Thank you,” and sat down.

My best friend, who was the last to pick or steal a gift, stood up and kindly took my first gift from the lady who had stolen it from me. She sat down and handed me the jewelry box. I stared at her in shock as everyone applauded her act of love.

“Is this for me?” I whispered.

She nodded.

“Thank you!” I hugged her with a smile and placed the jewelry box next to my other gift.

I may have ended up with two precious gifts, of which I am grateful, but I still hold true to my feelings about White Elephant, especially after having a present stolen from me.

Published 
Written by Cora
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments