Find your next favourite story now
Login

Flash Fiction Stories

Flash fiction stories vary in length from anywhere between one hundred to one thousand words.

The aim of flash fiction is to ensure every word is absolutely necessary.

Stories in this category can cover any of the fiction genres, the challenge being to engage the reader and tell a complete story within a limited number of words.

Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn

The mysterious woman presented the mighty Battle Lord with a unique challenge

The huge man strode down the main road of Varan. His dark eyes glared as he looked around, watching for defenders. Battle Lord Jadek Prynn was taller than any of the other warriors fighting in the street. His heavyset body was a mass of muscles, scars, an...

The Traveling Soul

Two souls connect without the restraints of context.

Is one's essence defined by the age of the body, their culture, economic status, or gender? What are we without the context of time, gender, and culture? Tara's mother underwent a metamorphosis. Mildred wore different costumes of the mind. Each costume wa...

What is it about memento mori, that she didn't understand? She was a good ol' dame but came up lame in the fast lane of life, knocking back nachos. Then came the corpse and the fairy in the morgue, that stole her love from Uncle Hurley. Harry is something...

The recent haints in the turnip patches, rumored to be poultrygeist chickens, zombified. Possessed with a fetish for mooning late-night diners at the A&W. Frightening the bejesus out of local crawdads eaters. It just so happen, that last night, Jimmy Swag...

Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Waffle House until you tried Granny's entrée. It was on a Friday night, wringing the neck of a vampire chicken, with a mist of Aqua Net Super Hold, rising. Granny was serving Blackeye peas and jalapeno cornbr...

The Dragon's Tail

Clouds can tell so many stories...

Relegated to passenger status as my love prefers to take the wheel, I peer out my window and gaze upon the clouds. They always have some fascinating story to tell. Some days I see bunnies and bears frolicking about in the sky. But sometimes, the clouds te...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

In a seance with myself, not suffering ghost. But the dead get lonely. Just ask the next guy, parallel parked next to my stone. I seem to have all the symptoms of a decaying corpse with sagging flesh soaked in formaldehyde. Surrounded by rednecks and fool...

Focus on the Beauty

A six-sided symbol of winter helps her focus on staying alive.

Focus on the beauty, the geometrical phenomenon of frozen water in spectacular crystallized form. Each one appears different from the next and captivating to behold. And while these minuscule bits of ice appear white due to the diffuse reflection of the w...

BillySoho

I want to go on a road trip. That’s what I’m thinking as I lie on my bed and glance out at the suburban. A long one. I want to go to Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires and Bogota. I want to sit in a car for days and drive through the south of France, taking in th...

I loved her chair. It was covered with material, olive-green and ribbed, and elasticated in a fascinating way. When you pulled it and released, it snapped back to the chair's frame, shooting out tiny clouds of dust like bombs. I could have done that for h...

Cold

The world can be cold when you're alone…

I watched as the homeless man collided with her. “Spare some change for a cuppa coffee?” Lois looked at the ragged man, then seemed to melt. “Sure. Wait a minute.” She opened her pocketbook, rummaged around, and came up with a five dollar bill, which she...

I’ve walked in darkness my whole life. Each day I wake up and wonder if today is the day I will slip away into the darkness – then resolve, like an alcoholic, that I will hold out for just one more day. Death is my addiction, and I work to hold it off eve...