Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Lest We Forget

"Those who about to die I salute you"

6
4 Comments 4
1.0k Views 1.0k
192 words 192 words

We all have sat in our history classes as children. and studied and read about D-Day. June 6th  1944.To honour the ones that climbed into their landing crafts, rode across the channel to drop behind enemy lines, and ferried troops and equipment ashore. 

Images that have been burned into my soul.  Here is a short  story to read 

 

As the weather broke on June 5th, we mustered with our complete gear.  Standing in line we all checked our buddies gear in front of you.  The word had leaked out "Its a go"  Our platoon leader, old by our standards turned 32 last Wednesday, called us to attention and said "Those who about to die salute you" Then with a crisp salute he watched us enter the waiting  C-47's.

  Mission Boston , the drop of 82nd Airborne began at 01:51, the invasion of German occupied France was underway.  By the end of D-Day, 4,414 confirmed American soldiers, airmen and sailors died.

Today I give a small prayer to all  of the remaining veterans that helped to end the bloody second world war in Europe.  

"Those who about to die I salute you"  rings true with honour.

 

 

 

 

 

Published 
Written by fuzzy1954
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments