Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

5
6 Comments 6
991 Views 991
3.9k words 3.9k words
Billy

Chapter Fourteen

Easter Sunday

Tom was once again on his feet trying to take things easy, as ordered by his Doctor. But to easy for Tom's liking, he was trying to behave himself with the understanding if he followed the Dr. instructions he could be released from the hospital the following day.

Faye had arranged for her father-in-law when he ready moved to a room she had prepared for the old farmer on the first floor of her farm house. Daily visits from Karen were the highlight of the old man's hospital routine. Karen entered the room for her after school visit; she was pleased to see her grandfather shaved dressed and sat up in the rooms recliner reading the local newspaper with his feet up. She stopped at the door and backed away from his view. Taking out her cell phone, she slowly reentered taken a picture of him, looking more rested and relaxed than she had seen him in many days.

Tom looked up at the flash from the phone went off.

“Think you're pretty smart, sneaking up on an old deaf farmer don't you?” Tom said.

“Nope, but it's a great picture, though,” Karen replied. She went over kissed his forehead sat beside him showing the picture to him that she had just taken.

“I suppose you're going to post it on that scrapbook website too, aren't you?” he said scowling.

“Nope it's just for me Gramps, and it's Facebook, not scrapbook,” Karen smiled. "So I hear maybe tomorrow you may be set free. I can't wait to get you to the house and beat you at checkers and cribbage again Gramps.” Karen said teasing him as she removed her winter coat.

“I would love to teach you another checker lesson young lady,” Tom replied.

Karen continued her teasing “Well I have a brand new deck of cards and a new Twenty Nine cribbage board waiting for us at home. Can't wait to be the first one to win.” she said.

“New cribbage board won't improve the way you play cards. But I'm happy to have your company today, despite your poor cribbage playing.”

They talked for a while about the weather, what was happening around the area and on the farm. Karen took her grandfather for a stroll in a wheelchair. It didn't go without protest, but he gave into Karen's insistence, and he sat in it.They went to the nurses station. Tom greeted the nurses saying hello to them. He knew without the care they had shown him over his 3-week stay he very well might not have lived. He would always be grateful to them. As Karen and Tom continued, he noticed the bulletin board at the end of the hallway. There he saw for the first time a poster of his lost dog. Tom asked Karen to stop. Tom read the notice over a few times then once out loud. He looked at his beloved dog's picture. Karen had not forgotten it was there but hoped her grandfather might not notice it. No phone calls had come in, and no sightings of Billy as yet.

Karren had promised her Grandfather Billy's return and felt like she was letting him down. Karen had made calls to the local radio station's lost and found. When they stopped adding it to the lost pet section, she called in again and asked if they would please keep announcing it, which they gladly did.

She had posted Billy's disappearance in the surrounding area newspapers. She placed several ads. She traveled to the surrounding towns placing it on as many lamp poles and storefront windows she could. With no calls and no sightings, she was secretly losing hope for a Christmas miracle. Tom got up from his wheelchair, walked over to the board. He carefully unpinned the poster then sat back in his chair. Looked at it again. Holding it in both hands as if it were treasure. Billy looked so proud, his tongue off to one side. His trophy and ribbon beside him. Billy's eyes were looking directly into the cameras lens as if he knew you were looking at him. Toms' fingers went over the picture on the sheet of paper. He would have loved to have Billy when he finally went home. But Tom was a practical man, after three weeks he held little hope for the dog's return. Tom held the picture away from him and up so Karen could see it. “What a great day that was, he became a champion that day,” Karen said.

“He was born a champion,” Tom added. His finger pointed to the dog. “look how proud he looks. I swear that dog understood everything I ever said to him. I have had smart dogs, but Billy was different from the rest. Billy just knew what I was thinking, how to read a heard of sheep or cattle without my help. He was just so eager to please. You can't teach that. That kind of in-stink was born in him. If he were a human, he would have been called a genius.” He said.

But Tom knew it was time now to let it go. He dropped flyer on his lap. He reached over his shoulder patting Karen's hand. “Karen I don't think you could have picked a better picture or did anything more than you already have, thank you,” Tom said. “Well, let's not give up hope, just yet Gramps, okay,” she said.

Tom gave no response. They continued their way from that wing of the hospital and took the elevator to the hospital's first sub floor. Stopping by the cafeteria, for an afternoon snack. Tom noticed another picture of Billy on the wall beside the menu listings, another in the stairwell. Tom smiled to himself, admired his Granddaughter's efforts. Karen was here, and he wanted her visit with him to be a happy one, so he let the subject of Billy rest. It was time for him as his son used to say, “suck it up.”

He decided to have the garden salad; it would be almost impossible to ruin fresh vegetables by rinsing them in cold water then slicing them. A little smirk ran across Karen's face knowing why he chose it, agreed with his choice and had the same. They sat eating, not saying much Tom was sitting smiling up at Karen from time to time his eyes would wonder back at the posters that surrounded him. Karen knew what was on her Grandfather's mind. It wasn't the taste of the salad or getting out of the hospital. She looked at him. Tom eyes meet Karen's, her hand slid into his and asked. “I have tomorrow off, and if you like we could do some investigating? That is if you feel up to it.” She asked, “Well let's see how I feel.” Tom said. To keep the conversation going she asked.“How long have you had Billy now Gramps 4 or 5 years?” She asked, “almost five years this Easter.” Tom replied. Tom went silent and thought back on that day In April as if it was yesterday.

It had been four years ago that Billy was presented to Tom as an Easter gift from Little Sara Jensen, shortly after Tom's wife Jenny had passed away. Old Tom and his family went to Easter Sunday service. They had seated themselves beside the Jensen's and were chatting before church service had begun. Tom noticed Sara and sat down beside her. Old Tom greeted and shook hands with Helen and her husband, Scott. Then shook hands with Sara.

“ Now, don't you look pretty,” Tom said complementing Sara's hair in a french braid. She was wearing a Pink Easter dress with puff sleeves edged in white piping and lace on the sleeves and hem of her dress. A white straw hat white stockings and lace gloves with white buckled shoes.

Sara looked up at Tom thanked him. She blushed. Sara was against the outfit, wanting to be in jeans a hoodie and sneakers. Helen smiled at Tom and confessed.

“ It has taken three weeks just getting her to try it on, she's such a Tom Boy,” Helen said.

“ Well, you look very grown up Sara, How are those puppy's doing?” He asked

Sara was glad the conversation had shifted from her wardrobe. “Well, Sir William.” Sara began, then she corrected herself smiled up at him. “I mean only Billy is still home. We thought we had him sold twice. The first family had changed their mind about having a dog for now, and a border collie they said wouldn't be a good fit for their lifestyle. The second family brought him back after only three days he whined all night, and they decided they couldn't get any sleep, plus they had two cats, and he chased them around the house. When they got back from work, the curtains were down, and the cats in the closet, Billy wouldn't let them out. He wanted to play all the time; he is a busy little guy Mr. Brennan

An idea had been germinating in her mind when they returned Billy the second time. Sara looked at her mom then up at Old Tom. Sara had been thinking maybe Mr. Brennan would provide the perfect home for Sir William Wallace. “You Should buy him, Mr. Brennan, you could use a dog now that your dogs are gone, and you're all alone,” Sara said.

Helen was listening in on her daughters conversation, and had thought it was cute the way she was able to carry on a conversation with Tom, She closed her eyes blushing with embarrassment at Sara's last comment. Helen wanted to melt into the pew. She took Sara's arm and whispered. “Sara that's not very nice of you to say that, now you apologize,” Helen said. Sara meant what she had said and thought what she had said was correct to say. Sara looked up at Tom.

“ I didn't mean it as a bad thing Mr. Brennan.” She began. “I didn't mean to say it that way, or to hurt you, I'm sorry,” Sara said.

“ Don't you worry about that Sara, you didn't hurt me, I guess my dogs are gone, but I'm not alone. I have my son Faye and Karen,” he replied.

Tom looked over at Helen and Scott “I think I have very good neighbors as well.” Tom said.

“ Well… It's just that.” Sara began again slowly and wanted to clarify her statement. "Well It's just Billy, he needs a good home, I worry about him, he needs to be loved, and you can do that. I think he would be wonderful for you. I don't want to see you lonely anymore Brennan, and I don't him behind a dog run waiting for someone to take him for a walk if they walk him at all. He's a Border Collie, and he needs to feel useful.

You could train him in herding like you did with your other dogs. You're so great with Collies he would be great company too. I think he is smart enough to win a few competitions as well. I have taught him to sit lay down, sit pretty, he can fetch a ball now, and he's only 12 weeks old. Just imagine what you could train him to do Mr. Brennan.” Sara added.

“ Well now, your quite the trainer, yourself Sara, maybe you should keep him. It sounds to me you have developed a bond with him.” Tom said.

“ I asked, but we can't have him. Besides mom is going to start work soon in town, I will be in school so there would be no one to watch out for him, and I think it's unfair to put him in a kennel all day.” Sara said.

Faye and Karen were listening in on the conversation. Faye and Helen's eyes meet. Helen looked over and mouthed the words, I'm so sorry to Faye. Faye smiled at her as if to say, it's OK. It was just the honest thoughts of a child.

Karen leaned and whispered in her mom's ear. “Its true mom gramps could use a dog I feel the same way.”

Sara continued, “He is a smart little guy too, he doesn't mess in the house much anymore. Besides, if it wasn't for you, he might never have lived in the first place. He would make a fine farm dog. I just think it's meant to be. Besides if he was with you, I bet he would sleep through the nights if he were with you Mr. Brennan, he just wants to be loved you know.” Sara said.

Tom smiled down into her bright blue eyes. “Now that was quite a sales pitch young lady, you may be right, but I think I might be too old for a pup like that. Besides he might not be happy with an old man like me.” Tom said.

“ Oh gosh, Mr. Brennan, he would love to be with an old man like you….” She closed her eyes realizing that she had just said the wrong thing again.

“ Gosh, nothing is coming out right.” and she went silent. Tom smiled at Sara and patted her knee cutting her off.

“ Thank you, Sara, for thinking of me,” Tom said.

Sara gave it one last try. “Mr. Brennan, I think you should t least try, if it didn't work out after a week, my mom would take him back. Besides I think you're at a perfect age to be with him.”

Karen, Helen, and Faye chuckled at Sara's last sales attempt selling Billing to Old Tom.

The Church organ began playing, and the conversation ended. The congregation all rose to sing But Karen's, Faye saw a possible cure to the old man's loneliness, Tom was thinking of how he missed having a dog around the farm and with is son taking over much of the operation and fewer farm duties to attend. But in reality he felt too old to take care of a young pup now. But the little girl sitting next to him got him thinking of Billy during the service.

On their way home from church service, Sara began again about Billy going to Mr. Brennan. She wanted to know how much Billy was worth maybe she could buy the dog as a gift to Mr. Brennan. Helen had been listening and smiled at her daughter's kind nature shining through the awkwardness of youth. Helen missed Tom's wife, Jenny. A loving kind lady. Jenny and Helen baked together for fundraisers, church socials. She missed her Saturday night phone calls. Jenny had asked during one of Helen's last visits at the Brennan's farm house if Helen would look in on Tom from time to time. “I worry about Thomas” Jenny had said, "he will be lonely for a while. Could you check in on him for me from time to time? Just do what you can. Everyone is busy these days.” Jenny's words echoed in her mind. Helen turned to her husband.

“ Scott,” she began, “I think we should just give Billy to Tom. What do you think, would you mind if I did that?” Scott looked over at his wife and smiled at her. He enjoyed the shows in as much it allowed him time to be with his family and gave them outings together. But the day to day care of the dogs the breeding decisions had always been up to her. It had been Helen's passion, Scott never took a say in the matter unless he asked.

“ Well...” Scott began thoughtfully. “Mr. Brennan got you into breeding, and he has helped you lot, so I think whatever you want to do is fine with me, that's your decision, Helen. I have no problems with whatever you decide. But I think Mr. Brennan probably should have say.” Scott said.

Helen asked Sara in the back seat of the car. “Would that be OK with you Sara?” Helen asked. A smile was on the 10-year old's face who had been following the conversation in the front seat of the family's car and gave a white-gloved thumbs up that it would be. "Yes, of course, but it was my idea."

So after Easter lunch Helen made a call to Fay telling her the plan. Fay thought it was a great but offered to buy Billy from her, which Helen flatly refused. Helen and Sara would drop the dog off at old Toms house after their Easter dinner, and see what Old Tom's decision would be. When Helen and Sara returned home, young Billy knew that something concerning him was about to change again. He stayed very close to Sara for the remainder of the day jumping on her lap when he got the chance. Sara talked to him and scratched his tummy telling him that he was getting a new home, and he would be happy there. She was hoping Mr. Brennan would want him. She knew he would take good care of Billy. He would have a wonderful home and be loved and trained. He wouldn't be stuck in a pen in someone's backyard begging the family to play with him or to go for a walk. The Brennan's had large fields with cattle and sheep. Plus she would get a chance to see him once in a while.

She gave Billy a bath that afternoon, blow dried and carded the pups white and black coat. Just before they left Sara got her mom to tie a wide blue ribbon with Easter Bunnies on it around Billy's neck. Sara knocked on Old Tom's kitchen door around 6 pm. Faye and Karen were clearing the dining room table off and putting leftovers away. They had been smiling all day after Helen's call. Karen hoped her Grandfather would be receptive taking on a pup; she believed it would take his mind off things, and the puppy would be wonderful company for him. Old Tom and his son were in the living room watching TV. Karen eagerly answered the door she looked down and saw Sara holding Billy on a short lead with a blue ribbon around his neck.

“ Now don't you look sweet,” she said to Billy. The pup began to squirm wanting attention from Karen. Sara hushed him. “Be a good boy, it's a surprise Billy, we have to be quiet.” She whispered. “I will get Gramps for you,” Karen said.

“Someone is at the door for you Gramps,” Karen said.

The Old man came in a who is it look to Faye. Faye shrugged her shoulders at him. ”I haven't seen him before” Faye grinned. Tom had a hunch something was up but didn't know just what. He looked at Faye and Karen. There faces we blank. As Tom made his way to the door, he turned wanting to know. “What are you too troublemakers up to?” He said. Old Tom opened the door looked down and backed up a little as Billy started to jump up and wag his tail to give his company a little space.

“Well hey, Sara how are you? I see you have your pup with you come in come in.”Helen Sara and the bouncing Billy entered through the doorway. “Have a seat, Helen nice surprise, were just about ready to have desert would like to have some.” Tom offered. Helen entered and sat across the Kitchens table from Old Tom. “We would love to yes thank you Tom, but Sara has something she wants to say to you.” Said Helen.

Sara walked over to Tom looked at him. Holding out Billy's lead, smiled up at the old farmer. “Mr. Brennan, my mom and I would like for you to have Billy. I would be happy if you would take him. He would have a wonderful home here. He needs someone like you too.” Sara finished still holding the lead out; she looked up waiting for his response. Tom didn't take the lead right away. He had never planned on another dog. He felt his dog days were passed him. He had loved his dogs and enjoyed all of them. Sammy was first to go with a Brain tumor; Jerry followed a year and a half later. His hips got so bad he could hardly walk. Tom had him put to sleep no longer wanting him to suffer. His little Luna was hit by a car during the time his wife Jenny had taken ill. He had blamed himself for not keeping a better eye on her. He missed them all but wasn't sure this was a good idea. He looked at the lead and the smiling little girl that was looking back at him holding the thin lead in her hand, waiting for an answer. Billy was settling down sat close beside Old Tom then laid his head down on his front his paws, with his eyes fixed on the old farmer as well as if to say. “Don't you want me?”

Tom looked as the panting pup looked up. The old man smiled at Billy; it was as if Billy was waiting for an answer too. Tom took the lead that Sara so patently had been holding. Billy followed him to the sink. Tom reached under the counter and got out one of the dog dishes poured some water in it and placed it on the floor beside the table. Billy began to lap at it eagerly. He went down on his knees beside Billy patted his head felt his bone structure and looked over at Sara.

“ I see you have taken good care of him, Sara.” Tom commented after the brief inspection; he unfastened the lead from Billy's collar handing it back to her. The pup had finished his drink and walked over to where Tom was now standing and sat beside him and looked up. His tail was wagging happily back and forth. “Why is it I feel like I am being railroaded into this?” Tom asked looking around the room at all of the Faces that were now waiting for an answer.

Tom Jr. had stood in the doorway; he was in agreement with Faye and Karen on this, and he felt it's just what his dad needed. He walked over to Billy, picked the pup up and but him in his father's arms. “Because dad, you aren’t complete unless you have one of these by your side. Stop over thinking this dad, God you're stubborn sometimes. You know were right. So say thank you to Sara and Helen. Tom Jr turned to Sara and winked at her. With that said Tom Jr rubbed his belly “We want our desert now.” He said.

The old farmer stood in the middle of the kitchen, sighed and gave in. He held the pup up to his face in one of his huge hands looking at him and smiled. “So I guess you're my new roommate Billy, what do you think? No one has asked you anything about this; you want to say with me here?” Tom asked. The pup began to wiggle making an attempt to lick Old Tom's face let out little barks. Sara was happy Billy was going to stay. Sara smiled, her plan had worked. “I guess he is all for it Mr. Brennan, what are we having for dessert?”

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments