Find your next favourite story now
Login

General Stories

Our General Fiction category is for stories of 1,000 to 10,000 words that do not fit into any other category, or that would work equally well in multiple categories.

If your story is primarily in a specific genre, please submit it in that category rather than in General Fiction.

Trending Stories

The Girl With More Than One Name

Sometimes you need to get lost in order to be found.

Charlotte Hale hated that she had to gather wild berries. It wasn’t that gathering wild berries was hard. It was that gathering them was not hard and at sixteen, she felt like it was demeaning. Her eight-year-old stepbrother, Albert, was perfectly capable of the task. So she could not, for the life of her, understand why she had to be the one to gather stupid frickin’ wild berries. “I need them for the salad, Char,” her m...

All Stories

Maryam was working at an office. Her boss assigned her a simple task. She was supposed to contact the main customers of her company and ask them to open LCs (letters of credit) for financial transactions. Such a thing was important for the company and mutually beneficial for all the business partners. But after three months, no progress had been made. Time was running out. The LCs needed to be opened before the new year's...

Score 0 0
0
48 Views 48
1.1k words 1.1k words

A Very Mature Person

A very mature person is left to take care of children

The 27-year-old Maryam has been left alone with her young cousins. Soheila, Maryam's aunt, left her children there and then went away with Maryam's mother in haste. Several hours later, Soheila calls Maryam's house. Ring... Ring... Ring. Maryam picks up the phone. "Hello?" "Maryam, it's Soheila. Listen, I have some bad news. Your grandmother wasn't feeling well, so we had to take her to a hospital. Your mother and I are g...

Score 2 2
1
146 Views 146
792 words 792 words

Child of Pain Part 3

A grandmother's Love

A Child of Pain: Part 3 Elisha pushed her chair nearer to her grandmother’s bed and gently rested her head on the mattress. She sighed. She felt tired as it had been a hectic week. She had gone to see her grandmother in the nursing home where she found the older lady on the floor. Grammie Willie had fallen out of her bed. The staff had called an ambulance which then brought her to the hospital. Elisha who visited her ever...

A Child of Pain Part 2

A grandmother's Love

The ward was silent, except for the constant bleep of the EKG monitor. Her grandmother moved her head a little but she did not open her eyes. The tube going into her nose and an IV on her arm, made her looks like a grotesque scientific experiment. Elisha stared at her face, so worn and lined now and recalled how brilliantly beautiful she used to be. As she sat there, she once more went down memory lane: On the pavement of...

Child of Pain Part 1

A grandmother's Love

The cold and sterile atmosphere in the hospital ward was impersonal and did not do anything to comfort Elisha. She sat by the bed where her best friend rested, so still. Her best friend was also her grandmother whom she called Grammie Willie. Elisha stared at her grandmother’s still placid face for the longest time and her memory flashed down memory lane to more than thirty years ago. She was then five years old. Her moth...

Twins

The bond twins share

The beauty of birth To have a little person so perfect And so trusting depending on you Twins A girl and boy born minutes apart The bond they share Never to part They are so much alike But separate in their own special ways To watch them Explore new things each day Learning more than they realize To see things as they do Each new touch Sound and taste Watching them I am aware of the beauty of each day To feel their hand c...

Score 1 1
0
166 Views 166
122 words 122 words

A young woman in faded jeans, a tattered sweater, holding a baby on her hip, walked into the local community center. She made her way down the narrow hall and into the tiny office where two women were sitting, chatting and drinking coffee. The office manager was at her desk and the other lady was sitting across from her next to the window. When the young woman approached, the manager said, “Hello, how can we help you?” Th...

Fresh as a Daisy

Childhood memory

My favorite flower has always been a sweet little summer daisy. It has been all my life ever since my mom would buy those pretty little artificial-scented daisy air fresheners with the yellow and white daisy on the plastic or paper packaging. If you’re around my age you know the ones I’m talking about. Everyone used a daisy air freshener back in the 60s and 70s they made the toilet bowl smell so good every time you flushe...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

I was reminded of you, for the first time in forever. Why- no, how could I so easily forget? But I reminded myself it wasn’t easy. And it wasn’t quick. I had put up a fight. Yet, you watched me from the sidelines. I would’ve fought forever. But I had to save myself. I chose you. Over. And. Over. I put myself first for once. Yet, according to you, I am the bad guy. The unanswered texts, and phone calls. The birthday letter...

Score 2 2
2
253 Views 253
310 words 310 words

Their Dad came home from work in a great mood. He hugged his two girls and then kissed his wife and the newborn in her arms. "I have a surprise," he said with a smile and the girls crowded around asking what it was. "Taa-Daa," he said and produced three tickets to Kings Island. The girls squealed in delight as they stared at the tickets. "Freebies from the owner," he stated as the girls started at the laminated tickets he...

Vows

Just make it disappear like it's nothing

Vows You said you’d always be there with support through thick or thin, but when I needed shelter, you refused to let me in. I knocked and begged for mercy, so my needs were very clear – I pounded and I pounded, but you still refused to hear. You watched me from your window, like you wanted me to know that you’d never keep your promise – you just wanted me to go. Your vision of our future didn’t turn out like you planned,...

Score 7 7
6
209 Views 209
237 words 237 words

Mardi Gras Mink

The adventure of Marti

The Mardi Gras adventure. It was Mardi Gras in the French quarter of New Orleans. Marti the mink had never seen such a crowd. She had been around humans before so that didn't bother her too much. She looked at all the fun costumes and masks in bright shades of purple green and gold and had to glance at the calendar again. So much purple and gold she thought it was time for LSU football season. "Nope," she thought to herse...

Pancake Tuesday

Zara tries to bring a bit of the razzmatazz of Mardi Gras to rural Ireland

Zara slid into the vacant seat and joined her classmates for lunch. “So, what are you guys doing for Mardi Gras?” she enquired as she opened her can of coke. Her friend Sinead paused, a sandwich halfway to her mouth. “We don’t do Mardi Gras. We just have Pancake Tuesday.” “What?” Zara looked around the table, expecting to see everyone laugh but they all just looked at her and shrugged. “Pancake Tuesday?” “Yeah,” explained...

⚜ Mardi Gras, 2000 "I see a man in your future." A smile crossed the young woman’s face. Skeptical at first, her apprehension easily dissolved as soon as she heard her desires would be met. Madam Francessa was accomplished at asking the right questions, reading expressions, and predicting what the tourists wanted to hear. This eager lover had been an easy read. “Really? When? What does he look like?” Her rapid-fire questi...

If She Only Knew

Angels come in many forms

She sat there with her laptop glowing Her stare was continuous, never knowing He watched her with eyes slowly going His heart was overflowing She had no idea he had feelings She could not tell it had reached higher than the ceilings They had only limited dealings They were both in need of many healings He dreamed of a day when she would be aware Though he never wanted an affair To him, no other woman can compare He couldn...