Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

"Chapter Twenty-three"

3
4 Comments 4
1.0k Views 1.0k
1.8k words 1.8k words
Time to go

Kaye brushed the tear from her cheek with the back of her hand. “Please come in,” Kaye said. The large man took off his hat as he entered the kitchen. “Have a seat Mr. Brennan. I was just starting some cornbread; I hope you like it?” Kaye asked.

“Mrs. Scott. Tom please, just Tom,” Kaye nodded.

"Then Kaye will better suit me, Tom," She said.

Tom took off his overshoes and placed them on the mat by the door taking a seat at the end of the table. Billy sat down beside him, his tail still beating. “I hope you're not going out of your way just for me?” Tom asked. "I had some coffee and toast about an hour ago; I'm all right.”

She took Tom's hat and coat. “It is no trouble at all, I was hoping to have it in the oven before you got here, I'm running a little late today.” She said. She poured the mixture into a pan and placed it in her oven.

Kaye set the timer, then took a seat on the other end of the table taking in the view of the happy little dog laying beside his owner, his tail still beating, but a little slower.

There was silence for a time. Tom glanced down at his dog, his left hand unconsciously rubbing the dog's head softly as he talked with Kaye. Billy's eyes were half closing relishing the gentle hand of his owner, his mouth half open his tongue a quarter way out of his mouth with that little smile he always seemed to have. Tom broke the ice. “You know, I never thought I would see him again Kaye." He was running his hand up one of the dog's ears. “I had giving up on ever seeing him again.”

Tom's blink forced the wetness from his eyes; he felt a tear running down the corner of his eye into one of the facial lines; he didn't care. He reached into his pocket and took out a white linen handkerchief that had initials hand embroidered on it, and swiped it away; he sniffed “Sorry, Guess I am just happy too.”

Kaye felt her lower lip quiver but got control over it. She hadn't expected this sort of reunion. She wasn't sure if it was sadness or a haunted look she saw in his eyes. Her dishcloth went to her cheek and wiped the teardrop away. ”I guess I am too; you have no idea seeing this has been the best part of my day,” Kaye said.

“Now, Kaye, there must have been a vet bill, I want to pay you for that, how much do I owe you?” Tom asked.

“Well, I have a friend that is a vet, I was charged the enormous some of a few dozen cookies a few dinners and a lemon pie.” Kaye smiled at him, “So there is no charge.” 

Tom shook his head in disbelief. “A Vet is a good friend to have. I feel I should pay you something Kaye, are you sure now, I feel I owe you at least something.” Tom said.

She shook her head “There is no charge, Tom. Billy has paid it all back, and then some; he's a remarkable dog.”

The two talked a little about the dog and how he came up the driveway that night, his condition and some of the events on his healing. “You're a kind person Kaye,” Tom said. “I will never forget what you have done. most would have let him die.”

“How could I have done anything else? I guess the way he looked up at me with those copper eyes as if he was begging for someone for help; I had to do it; I would not have been able to live with myself if I hadn't.” Kaye said. She got to her feet. “I'm making tea, would you like some, or would you prefer coffee, Tom?” Kaye asked.

“Tea, Kaye thank you, I like coffee in the mornings, but I am a tea drinker in the afternoons. I need to wash up if you could show me where the bathroom is please.” Tom asked.

Kaye told him, and after plugging in the teakettle, she turned her attention to the oven, when the timer went off and removed the cornbread. There was little in her fridge for dinner and was embarrassed. She never made it to the store and the roast she had taken out of the freezer wouldn't be defrosted in time for dinner. But she had left over potatoes, bacon, eggs and buttermilk pancake mix. 

Tom had returned and struck up a conversation about Ed and Kaye's farm. He told Kaye that his farm and that his son had taken over most of his farming duties. He had been a farmer all of his life, his father before him. His son had built a home a few miles from his house. He began raising Hereford cattle ten years ago and had done very well for himself.

Kaye said the beef market had been down; it hit them hard. She talked about the hail storm last summer and how they lost half of 300 acres of corn and another half of the oats. So they may have to buy hay this year along with the crop.

"Farming can sure be hard," Tom said. "What breed of cattle do you raise Kaye?"

“Their Charolais cattle, Tom, we started them about four years ago, and six registered bulls we're hoping to sell this spring and 200 head. Ed has been working hard with the Charolais Association; we're keeping our fingers crossed for a couple of good years. If the media leaves the mad cow out of the news, maybe the prices will rise a little more.” Kaye smiled as she talked about Ed and was proud of all his hard work.

Tom agreed with her. “You know, you have done very well to hang on. A lot of farmers are no longer around because of that damn disease. I'm sorry about your crops, Kaye. How is Ed doing, I read a little about the bull altercation in the paper on my way over.” Tom said.

“He's developed pneumonia has a fever and a broken arm, so, it's one day at a time I guess” Kaye answered.

Kaye cut the hot corn bread, set out cups and saucers from the cupboard and set them on the table with a butter tray. “You have milk with your tea, Tom,” Kaye asked.

“Black is fine for me thanks, Kaye. 

Tom asked and wondered if she had any molasses, which she did. She cut out a few squares of the cornbread from the pan, and they began to chat again about farming and how it has changed over the years. She had never seen anyone pour molasses on anything, but she had to try it and deemed it a perfect sweet.

“I should get going soon," Tom said. "I don't want to get back to late." He broke off a piece of bread. “What do you do Billy?” Tom asked the dog. On cue, the dog sat on his haunches his front legs crossed. Tom tossed the piece to the dog.

Kaye smiled, "He never fails to surprise me, Tom, you worked a lot with him haven’t you.” Kaye asked.

Tom looked at her. “Billy was the grand champion in sheep herding last year, and yes I spoil him terribly I know, but he's my best friend. I started working sheep with him when he was about four months old; it's all he knows. He loves it. He enjoys bossing cattle around which surprises a lot of farmers. I wasn't surprised that he put that bull in his place, he has dealt with a few on my farm.”

“Ed was lucky to have him there, Tom. Up until Billy came, he had no use for dogs. He has let me have mine as long as I keep them away from him. He was attacked by his dog when he was small and has never really trusted one; until Billy came along.” She said. “I think I will be looking for a Collie for him for his birthday.”

Tom smiled “Well, I have friends that are reputable breeders and would love to send you their numbers.”

Kaye looked at her phone. “I should go to the hospital, Tom, but I will be back around four; would love to have you stay for dinner,” Kaye asked.

Tom smiled, “Thank you I would love to, but perhaps another time. I should be getting back, my son will be expecting me, I promised I would behave myself and take it easy.”

Kaye cleared the table and let the dogs go out for their final romp. Tom and Kaye joined them.

Tom looked over the farm area. “This is good ground, Kaye" Ed has his hands full I think; he should get some help.”

He noticed the machine shed could use a new roof and the house was in need of paint. He understood all about hard times and how the farm has to come first. “I love your home Kaye; I think it suits you,” Tom said.

Kaye turned around and although it was in need of work she loved it too. “I hope we can paint this year, Tom, I love it here.” Kaye looked at the old Victorian home with Tom. With its nice gingerbread, I would like to make a grand old lady out of it someday. It maybe a silly thing to say, Tom, but I always thought it; as romantic."

Tom smiled “It 's romantic Kaye. My wife and I started out the same as you and Ed. I have missed her; Billy gave me some life back in my old bones.”

Tom called to Billy; who was soon sitting by his side. Kaye went to her knees, “You come here and say goodbye to me.” Billy stopped wagging his tail; it dropped between his hind legs. He sensed it was time to say goodbye. Billy walked over to Kaye and nuzzled into her neck licked her face whined a little and then broke it off and went back to where Tom was standing.

She stood up fighting back the goodbye tears. She smiled at Tom and held out her hand to say goodbye. “It has been nice meeting you, Tom. I hope you will come back again when Ed is here. I'm sure he would like to have met you.

Tom held Kaye's hand; "it has been nice meeting you, Kaye. Thank you; just doesn't seem enough. I will never be able to repay your kindness.” he said. Tom turned opened the passenger side door, and Billy hopped in eagerly turned on the seat and looked out the passenger side window and began panting, he was ready to go.

Kaye turned got in her Jeep that was parked in front of the old half ton. Tom started the truck and began to turn in the driveway. 

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments