Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
In A Child's Eyes

6
5 Comments 5
833 Views 833
716 words 716 words
As I get on the bus and find myself a seat, I am so very tired and know that it will be a long ride to my house. Praying that I could have the car fixed and not ride the bus for the 100th time. I sit and wait to get the long ride over with.

My eyes spot two twin girls and their mom. These girls are full of energy. Both are talking non stop and I hope they are the kind that are not much trouble on public transportation, They continue on down the lane and sit two seats behind me. These children are talking so loud the whole bus can hear what they are saying.

It seems they are telling their mom what things look like as we pass. Hoping this is a game and they will soon tire of it. I continue to listen. It doesn't take me long to realize the mother is blind. The two girls are telling the mother what things look like to them so she will also know.

The mother sits and smiles and pats each hand so gently. It doesn't take long before they have all the attention of each person on the bus.

Oh, how the little girls are telling what each thing looks like. I myself never knew that a stop sign could be so interesting, or that the ad on the billboard could be told with so much meaning. 

The girls are telling what each color looks like and they are so happy to do so. It makes my heart, as well as the others on the bus happy. Just to listen to a child and see the wonder of each new item they are telling about.

I am so happy to listen to these girls that when it comes to my stop, I do not get off. I want to hear the other things they are talking about and see the wonder of each new item. To see the new in the way each little girl describes the item to their mom.

Several of the others on the bus are in awe of the way these girls are talking. Soon the girls notice all the attention is on them. The oldest, who seems to be about seven years old, decided it was time to tell us all a thing or two.

She stands so proudly, and after getting the attention she is waiting for, states a few facts. She tells us her mom is blind, She lost her sight in an accident and the girls want her to remember all the things and the way they look. So several times a week they get on the bus and ride so the twins can remind their mom what things look like. That their mom may have lost her sight, but her mind works well and she can tell you where we are just by the way the are talking to her and telling her things.

She tells us to close our eyes and listen to them and some do just that, including me. Oh, how different these little girls words were. Things looked so much better than I remembered them, I am suddenly not as tired as I was and feel very blessed .

The next stop is the one they get off at. Each take their mother's hands and start talking all at once again.

I can not get these girls off my mind. The next day they do not show up at the bus stop nor the next. The third day I hear their voices and smile, knowing I am in for another treat.

All summer I continue to ride the bus, watching for the girls and closing my eyes as they talk of things. Even when my car is fixed I continue to catch the bus.

After summer was over I learn that they have to go to school and will no longer be taking bus trips with their mom, I am very sad that I will not be able to listen to them again. I think of them often when I see a bus stop and children waiting. I think of the summer that I was so blessed to be able to see the world through the eyes of children.

Published 
Written by maryruth
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments