Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Defense against a bully

"A true story"

3
3 Comments 3
1.1k Views 1.1k
1.3k words 1.3k words

At the time of my first marriage, my youngest stepdaughter was a very pretty slender thing. She was not aggressive or a loud mouth or a fighter by any means, but it seems she became the favorite target of a large blond female bully.

These attacks were mostly due to her Hispanic blood; her biological father was Hispanic. No, she did not look it, she looked more Italian or Greek. Just the knowledge was enough to start the harrassment.

While the physical assaults in the beginning were minimal, it was the verbal attacks that were nonstop. Being constantly addressed as "spick" was taking its toll. It caused my wife to go to the junior high and have a sit down with the principal. I was forbidden to attend despite my hopes that my police officer status would have a greater impact. No, I was not allowed to attend as my patience was almost nonexistent when it came to stupidity.

The bully's parents were contacted and a suspension was threatened unless they speak to their daughter. As you might have guessed, it had no effect on the bully. The assaults of the verbal and physical nature continued until I became angry and decided on a course of action.

Now by this time in my life I had been studying the martial arts for a number of years  I was Dan ranked (black belt) in one discipline and was well versed in a few others. I waited until my wife was at work and the oldest daughter was out with friends before I put my plan into action.

I took my youngest into the basement where I spent ten or fifteen minutes questioning her on just how this overweight bully came at her. Then borrowing techniques from the various disciplines I was familiar with I taught her defensives against these attacks.

Now these defensives were not part of any beginner program, in fact, they came from the black belt programs. I based my training on my girl's slender stature; she needed something quick and effective with the ability to escalate in case the bully fought through her pain and embarrassment.

So Friday night and all day Saturday and Sunday we worked out together. I did not teach her with kid gloves; she was advised to respond to my grabs as though she was in school and the bully had a hold of her. Now I did not overwhelm her with numerous techniques, just five that I knew would really work.

Repetition, repetition, and repetition were the code of the weekend. Finger locks and peels, shin raking along with various elbow thrusts based on how she was attacked were shown and memorized.

To those reading this and shaking their heads in disapproval at my actions, too bad. I wanted my step-daughter to be able to defend herself and not rely on the school to intercede.

I could have shown her "bil-jee" (shooting fingers), a technique used against an opponent's eyes. I could have taught her "Shotei" (palm heel strikes), used against the chin or nose in an upward motion, but I didn't. I chose less lethal but painful defenses.

The only lethal technique I taught her was a leg isolation and knee strike in case she was on the ground and the bully was coming it to inflict damage. It is simple to learn and there was even a little rhyme that went with it. 

"Bottom foot hooks and top foot kicks," I repeated over and over. The foot of the side to are on snakes around the back of the ankle with the top delivers a strike to the knee.

Monday arrived which is my day off. I had no court appearances schedule so I could spend the day relaxing. I was surprised when my youngest was home from school around 10:00 AM. She had been attacked by this overweight antagonist and put her down quickly.

They were both suspended and released at different times. Now on her walk home she had to pass the bully's  house and it seems the bully's  father came out onto the porch and threatened her. That was a big mistake.

I drove to the house and knocked on his door. I asked him if he had enough balls to threaten a man or if little girls were more his speed. Now for the purposes of the story and so as to not incur the wrath of the admins I will omit all the colorful descriptions I used to describe his manhood, sexual preference and inability to maintain an erection.

Now as a police officer I get threatened at least a dozen times a day, but I laugh it off. However threatening a little girl or any child is something that caused me to see red. I raised my voice and knocked on the door again; that's when the local police arrived and approached me with their pistols drawn.

I complied with their orders and stepped off the porch with my hands raised. I advised them that I was a cop and was armed in case they searched me. I produced my ID, and they holstered their weapons.

It seems the homeowner called the station saying there was a crazy man on his porch. I informed them of what had been happening at the junior high and what had occured earlier that morning. It seems two of them were the fathers of girls and understood my anger. I was released without any penality.

I dropped by the station the next day while on duty and spoke to the responding officers. The homeowner must have been watching through the blinds and saw me display my ID and the holstered weapon on my hip.

The officers knocked several times but the door was not answered.

Personal Opinions: Bullying is wrong and must be addressed. I have had more than my share of run ins with educators both as a bullied student and as an officer. I find their anti bullying policies just plain stupid.

The students know who always starts the fights. The threat of suspending anyone defending themselves for fighting is helping to raise a generation of punching bags. The bully doesn't care about a suspension, its a day off for him or her.

No, physical violence is not always the answer. However when the parents and the teachers are unable to curb the bully's behavior then sometimes a good old fashion butt whipping is needed and required. In conclusion I believe that self defense lessons should now be a part of every child's upbringing as the world has become a bit unsafe at times.

Get them out if the house and away from the electronic social media long enough to learn a skill that will benefit them. Now I cannot make suggestions on any style as I have my prejudices on certain disciplines. There are too many schools that are black belt mills and rank students too quickly,

There are a number of schools that use no belt ranking program, they are among the best. Is there a boxing academy that teaches children near you? Boxing is a much overlooked skill but very effective out of the ring, Find a school and speak to the Sensei.

Pick up a copy of BlackBelt magazine and look in the events section. There is always a seminar going on somewhere and will allow you to sample a discipline for a nominal cost and no lomg term commitment.

Let the negative comments commence.

 

 

 

 

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments