Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Quirks

"My worst quirk"

2
2 Comments 2
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.1k words 1.1k words

Idiosyncrasies or quirks, we all have them and some are more annoying than others. Mine is my car. Example; I am out with a group of friends and we decide to move to a more lively venue, I will not ride with anyone nor allow anyone to ride with me.

Many believe I am a selfish person, but nothing could be further from the truth. During the glory days of my time co-chairing the haunted house project, I was the one to ensure that the Jr and Sr high students had rides to and from home. If a ride could not be located I then took it upon myself to transport them.

So why his quirk? If I have my car and I want to leave I don't have to wait for anyone or rely on anyone. If I am having an enjoyable evening and the person I transported wants to leave I have to go too.

So what started this quirk? It happened when a good buddy invited me to join him for drinks one evening and offered to drive. I was hesitant to accept until he explained that we would not stay long.

Our destination was a classy nightclub disguised as a neighbourhood bar. Patrons were required to dress appropriately, no jeans, t-shirts or sneakers allowed.

We stayed for a few hours and were getting ready to depart until the night shift bartender appeared. My buddy got one look at her magnificent body clad in a velvet mini-skirt with matching thigh-high boots and a silk blouse and leaving was the last thing on his mind.

Now I had developed a mild headache earlier and I had just asked that he take me home and he kept asking for an hour more because he was afraid someone would beat his time with the sexy bartender, so I had to suffer in silence. Finally two hours later he realized he was not going to score with her and we left. I had a full-blown migraine by that time and vowed never to put myself in that position again.

I never forgot that vow and from that day on I never allowed anyone to drive me anywhere. My gas tank could be on fumes but I would still drive my own car. Now, this incident happened a few years later during the construction phase of the haunted house. My stunning blond co-chairman picked me up for a day of errands and as I was unemployed at the time and money was tight, so I welcomed this offer of a ride to save on fuel.

It also happened to be my birthday and I did not want to spend too much time working on the project because I wanted to go out and celebrate. As the sun was beginning to set I asked her to drive me home and she asked me to wait a while as she was in the middle of something. An hour later she was still not ready to leave so I made similar requests to several of the others that had their vehicles and received similar responses.

I was outraged. I had provided rides to so many people over the years and now no one would return the favour, so be it. I did not blame anyone except myself because I had violated my cardinal rule.

Finally, I grew tired of waiting and decided to walk home. No one saw me leave and I did not bother to say anything to anyone and I donned my coat and departed. Now the house was situated where the urban meets the rural and it was a half-hour plus drive from my parent's house and that meant it would be better than an hour walk, but I did not care.

Anger and a beautiful September night were great motivators for my stride and speed. I made great time and about forty minutes later that I reached the main road that led to a well-known shopping centre, I could catch a bus from there.

During the last fifteen-minute walk to the shopping centre it began to drizzle and by the time I reached the shopping centre, the rain began to increase in intensity. I looked for a bus at the layover and saw none. Not wishing to be soaked to the skin I sought shelter under the eves of a bus shelter and stuck out my thumb.

It was a time honoured signal of someone needing a ride. About five minutes later a car stopped with a young couple inside, these good Samaritans were not going to leave a stranger out in the rain.

We chatted as they drove and they informed me that they were not going all the way across the bridge. but they would drop me at the Big Boy restaurant where I could wait for a bus. When during the course of our conversation they discovered it was my birthday they offered to drop me in front of my house. It was only a little out of their way and they said to think of it as a birthday present.

Upon arriving home my parents advised me that the phone had been ringing almost nonstop with people asking for me and my folks were not happy about it. Then at just that moment, the phone rang again and on the other end was my stunning co-chairman asking if I was alright.

I informed her that I was not all right. I was cold, wet, tired and hungry and I let her know in no uncertain terms that as of today I will not accept rides from anyone, not even her. If I can't take my own car I just won't go.

I slammed the phone down hard without saying goodbye. An hour later she had one of the others call me, and they got the same response except for this time my language was peppered with four-letter words, something I would not do to her.

My birthday that year was nothing to speak of. All my plans went out the window and I settled for ordering a pizza and watching a movie. The next day when I reported to work at the project most people were giving me a wide berth. The few that did not get the full brunt of my anger.

"So, you're too friggin busy to give me a ride?", I snarled, "Just don't ever call me if you need one."

 

To be continued.....

 

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments