Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Theater Memories

3
3 Comments 3
921 Views 921
753 words 753 words
I didn't always land a principal role, I've been in plays where I have had less than ten lines, and sometimes I didn't get a part at all. It doesn't matter, theater is theater. I've been a stage manager, assisted with props and worked the spotlight.

After Dracula closed, I auditioned at another theater for their Winter show, it was a musical comedy set in a retirement home. Allan, the actor who played Renfield, showed up at the auditions with me. Our attempts to sound like old men made the director and some of the older actors laugh out loud.

Al asked if we could do Dracula and Renfield at the retirement home, more laughter. I was working as a rent-a-cop at the time and was dressed to go to my job after auditions. I asked to try once more, and as I started to speak I swept my coat back in gunfighter style so they could see my weapon, this drew more laughter, and that finished us. I was offered a small role that I accepted.

Since I did not have a major part I was not required to be at every rehearsal until Hell Week, but I still attended all the rehearsals. One rehearsal stands out in my mind and causes me to smile all these years later, that's the one where I saw the girl doing the choreography walk by in her leotards, tights, and heels.

She was a very pretty blond whose outstanding figure was usually hidden under jeans and an oversize sweatshirt. I was sitting in a wooden folding chair with one leg crossed over the other at the ankle. My ankle was on my knee, and my head in my hand, the elbow of the arm supporting my head was rested against the knee of crossed leg. Can ya see the image in your head?

As she walked by, I opened my eyes wide and showed a big smile and fell to the floor without breaking position and stayed that way for a few seconds. I was much younger back then and could do these kind of physical stunts. The director was the only one that saw it, and he laughed so hard that he almost choked and was forced to call a break.

One of the least talked about, but more pleasurable aspects of community theater or any live venue for that matter is the   "showmance". It is what it sounds like, an affair de amore that usually lasts for the length of the rehearsals and production.

You walk into a strange theater and meet a member of the opposite sex and wham, instant attraction. It sometimes happens between two single people, but it's been my observation that usually one is married. Even if they are only sitting having drinks and chatting, the fertile imaginations of the cast will run wild.

Sometimes it comes back to haunt you. A good buddy of mine had a showmance that lasted for a few years after their show closed. He and his lady friend got together a few times a week and had great sex and that was it. This arrangement was mutual agreement.

Well, three years later he landed a principal role in another show, and his little showmance wound up in the supporting cast, As you have probably have guessed he met another fantastic lady who was also cast in a principal role and the bells, whistles and fireworks went off as he put it.

If you guessed that his first showmance was not real happy and became jealous, you would be correct. She started throwing temper tantrums and, in general, disrupting the rehearsals.

Thankfully the director was a longtime friend of hers and got her to mellow out by threatening to replace her. The show had a great run and when production folded my buddy and his newest lady bid each other a fond farewell and headed off in different directions never to see each other again.

My bud told me that he found himself back in the arms and bed of his first showmance after she offered an apology by phone and an invite for coffee. She answered her door wearing her newest Victoria Secret nightie.

So if you are lucky enough to have a showmance, enjoy it while it lasts. If you're in a production where you know one is going on, and you know about it, keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself. Why upset someone's momentary happiness because you're jealous?

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments