Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Afternoon Off

2
2 Comments 2
858 Views 858
257 words 257 words

Several times a month, Pete the village tailor would take the afternoon off work to meander through the streets and along the refreshing country trails. Today was one such day.

Exiting the front gate of his small cottage home, Pete breathed in the fresh dawn air. The smell of field flowers and morning dew filled the breeze, creating the atmosphere of elation to which Pete always looked forward with anticipation.

He began to stroll slowly along the dusty path toward the village centre, greeting his neighbours as they began their day’s labour on the surrounding farmland. Past bubbling brooks and the winding river which bordered the local county, Pete let his mind wander through the depths of his unconscious.

It wasn´t long before he reached the small town which sat nestled at the bottom of two large hills, from the tips of each it is possible to survey the entire nearby region.

As Pete made his way down the main street, the sun had nearly emerged completely from behind the horizon transitioning from the copper light of early morning to the golden yellow of the working day.

Taking his usual seat near the fountain in the centre of town, Pete looked up at the sky and took in the sights and sounds of the transpiring day, the birds chirping, the sound of the villagers bustling about, the rushing of the river.

‘Despite the turmoil in the world,’ thought Pete to himself, ‘it really can be very beautiful.’

True joy inhabits the wonder of the everyday.

 

Published 
Written by LEMF
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments