Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Job Application

"This essay explains how different a store can feel when you are there for a job application"

4
3 Comments 3
1.3k Views 1.3k
383 words 383 words
I walk into the store.

It looks exactly the same. But it feels different.

I usually get a fun feeling when I walk in here. I always head right over to the clothes, excited about finding a good deal. Something I like.

This store is known for its great deals. They have designer clothes sometimes, for 85% off the original price. That's better than a garage sale or the Salvation Army, because these clothes are new!

If I'm with my friend, we'll giggle a lot; making fun of clothes we think are really ugly.

I will feel happy and light-hearted. Full of self confidence.

But I don't feel any of those things now. Especially full of self confidence.

Instead, I feel insecure. Anxious. Not happy and giggly, but more serious. Off my game.

And to top it all off, I'm worried about how I look.

Maybe I shouldn't have worn these two clips in my hair. Maybe people think they look dumb.

My dress seems wrong. Too young. Too casual.

My shoes are a little dirty.

I look around at the people working here. Today, I am seeing them in a whole new way. That older woman behind the cash register in the woman's department looks nice. Sort of motherly. I bet she would be okay to work with.

The two younger,overweight girls behind the jewelry counter seem obnoxious. They're laughing loudly about something. I swear they're looking at me.

Are they laughing at me?

Maybe they're laughing at the clips in my hair. I bet they would be snotty to work with.

I walk over to the sales racks, to stall for time. Suddenly, I've lost my nerve.

Why couldn't I have been born rich? Then I wouldn't have to worry about getting a dumb job. I could have that fun feeling back, instead of this anxious one. Then I wouldn't have to care what people think. I could be above all that.

I hunt through the summer clothes, which are now 70% off.

That's a cute top, I think. But my heart isn't in it. That's because I know what I have to do.

I might as well just get it over with.

I take a deep breath.

Then I head over to the employment office to pick up a job application.

Published 
Written by janinapandabear
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments