Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Thoughts on a Bus

"I wonder what everyone on the bus is thinking?"

6
5 Comments 5
1.1k Views 1.1k
738 words 738 words
I stand here forever, with traffic zooming by me. I feel like everyone is staring at me, wondering why I'm just standing here, like a lost soul.

I don't know what to do with my hands. I try to act like I don't care. I'm cool. I'm above it all.

But inside, I hate it. I hate waiting for the bus.

I don't like taking public transportation. My friend, Alyssa is different. She thinks it's a fun
adventure. I wish I could be more like her.

I guess some of us are public transportation people, and some of us are not.

Finally, the bus arrives. It's about time! I think. I step up the stairs. I confirm my destination and the price. The bus driver gives me a weird look. It's like he can tell I'm not comfortable being on the bus. Or maybe I just imagined he gave me a weird look.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I take my seat. The bus starts up again with a lurch. I grab onto the back of the seat in front of me. I look around. No one else is anxiously leaning forward and holding on.

Only me.

A few people are reading. How can anyone relax enough to read on a bus? I don't get it.

I keep holding onto the back of the seat in front of me. I feel like I have to hold on, or I will be jolted right out of my seat. The ride is so bumpy. So different from the smooth glide of a car.

I can look down and see the inside of other people's vehicles. I feel like a weird eavesdropper. I see the people so clearly, it gives me a creepy feeling. I hope I don't see something I don't want to see!

Hold on, hold on! Whew, that was a big bump! I am holding on like I am on a ride at the amusement park. Only, it's not fun. There's no laughter or happy screaming. I look around, again. Everyone looks sort of bored. This is old hat to them. They're used to the jolting, lurching feel of being on the bus.

I read a paper sign that's taped up. It says: IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SPEAK UP!

Something like what, I wonder?

Like a gun?

Like a pet scorpion on some one's seat?

Like a parent hitting a child?

Like Beer?

What?

Another sign says: NO TALKING ON CELL PHONES ALLOWED. NO PROFANITY ALLOWED. NO EATING, DRINKING, OR SMOKING ALLOWED.

No Profanity? I think. What about freedom of speech?

No eating? Not even a piece of taffy?

Maybe they're afraid the taffy will zoom out of your hand and get stuck on the floor, and then people will step in it...

I have all these thoughts buzzing around in my head. Thoughts that can't come out - like bugs banging onto the side of a glass jar. It would be better if I had someone to talk to.

It would be better if Alyssa was here. Someone to share all these thoughts with.

I wonder what other people are thinking?

No one is talking. Are they thinking, Yuck, I don't feel like going to work today?

Are they thinking, I hope I don't have cancer? Or, that girl looks really dumb hanging onto the back of the bus seat?

Are they thinking, I wonder what everyone else is thinking?

Probably not, because that's a weird thought. Normal people don't have weird thoughts like that, do they?

I suddenly notice a guy sitting towards the front of the bus. He keeps shaking his head, NO.

Uh-oh. Now there's a real weird-o. The noticeable, maybe dangerous kind of weird-o, not the silent dorky kind, like me.

I stay real still, just staring straight ahead. I don't want to capture his attention.

He's trying to talk to the bus driver.

You're going to remember this day for the rest of your life! he declares.

WHAAT? Okay, that is definitely odd.

The bus driver ignores him. The weird guy looks agitated. He starts mumbling to himself. He's probably right. I WILL remember this day for the rest of my life. But not in a good way.

Finally, the bus arrives at the mall.

YAY!

The only problem is, five hours from now I'll have to get back on it.

I can't wait until my car is out of the shop.

Published 
Written by lorelie
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments