Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Second Chance Part 3

2
2 Comments 2
870 Views 870
822 words 822 words
Loni glanced quickly at her watch and true to his promise only half an hour had passed since they parted company, but then he was always a man of his word. He stopped at the bar long enough to place his drink order before he slid into the booth from the opposite side. He then slid himself around until he was next to her.

Then without warning, he placed one arm around her shoulder and pulled her in closer to him and kissed her on the lips. Bells, whistles and fireworks went off in her brain and body causing Loni to feel reckless, strong and sexy.

She returned the kiss allowing her tongue to quickly enter his mouth before she pulled away.

"Wow, that was some kiss," Dan commented.

"You're telling me," she responded smiling.

The waitress dropped off his drink and they clinked glasses.

"So tell me what's been happening?" he asked as he lit a cigarette.

Loni took a long pull at her beverage then attempted to recall all the highlights of the past fifteen years of her life. He would occasionally stop her to ask her a question.

"How long have you been on the air?" she asked.

"About five years. I am surprised you never heard me."

"I don't listen to talk radio and the name you use is so far from your real name I would never have guessed it was you."

Then it was his turn to tell her about the time they were apart. As he talked, his eye caught the twinkling on the diamond ring on her finger. She saw his eyes fix on it and she moved to cover it with her free hand.

"So you're engaged?"

"Yes."

"When is the happy event?"

"Six months from tomorrow," Loni responded.

"You don't sound too thrilled," he observed.

"Can we please change the subject? How come you never married?" she queried.

"There were problems."

"Would you care to share them?"

"No, not really.They may upset you," he answered.

"After all the years we spent together you're worried about upsetting me? Please tell me what the problems were?"

"The problems were that they weren't you."

Loni just stared at him.There was no emotion showing on her face despite her brain being in turmoil.

"Oh, they had great looks but lacked the fire inside.

"Seems we are both starting new chapters in our lives," he observed.

"Meaning?"

"You getting married and my leaving the state."

This time, Loni's face registered shock and sadness.

"Leaving? Bound for where?"

"I just signed a two-year contract with a radio station in Fort Lauderdale."

"When do you leave?" she asked.

"About two months from now. I even found a beautiful house in Florida that accepted my bid and that's the only reason I agreed to do this gig, they are paying me well for my time."

Loni was at a loss for words, something that did not happen too often. To find him and lose him again in a matter of months made her feel sad and her face reflected it.

"Don't be sad, at least, this time, you know where I'll be. And if you ever feel the need to get away from the rigors of married life you will always be welcome to hide out with me for a week."

"Don't make promises you can't keep," she cautioned him.

"Have I ever?"

Loni glanced at her watch and decided that she better head home and slid out of the booth. She noticed his eyes check out her legs as her skirt hiked up a bit with her movement and smiled.

"So, you at the mall all day tomorrow?" she asked.

"Yep Saturday's always a busy day. The first show is at ten and goes every three hours. If you're in the area, you are welcome to stop by."

"Where will you be?"

"I usually hide out backstage."

"Do I need a pass?"

"Here, take mine. I can get another one tomorrow," he informed her.

"Do you want to see me tomorrow?" she asked putting him on the spot.

"Yes," he said simply.

Loni sensed that he was holding back and pushed.

"That is all I get, a one word response?"

His dark eyes flashed anger at being put on the spot, but he didn't raise his voice as in days gone by when he became upset.

"Yes, I would love to see you tomorrow. You want more truth? If I have my way I will pull you into one of the dark corners and spend time sucking face with you," he responded in a low hiss.

That's better," she responded and took his hand and walked to the parking lot.

Once outside and standing next to her car he embraced her again. This hug was tighter and the kiss was even more intense.

"Until tomorrow," she said when he released her and she slid behind the wheel.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments