Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Strange White man

"He was living too close to their burial ground and must be dealt with."

3
2 Comments 2
1.5k Views 1.5k
847 words 847 words
The counsel was meeting in the grand lodge. Some of the younger members of the tribe attempted to find a gap in the rawhide covering the lodge to poke their heads under to watch and listen. Others were content in pressing their ears against the thin walls.

Among the topics being discussed were the upcoming Buffalo hunt and the strange white man that now lives in the old ranch house that bordered their ancient burial grounds. It was that topic that brought forth the loudest voices.

Chief Puma sat and listened while his braves took turns yelling that the white man should be dealt with immediately and many volunteered to personally go down and shoot arrows into him and bring his scalp back as proof of their bravery and deed. The Chief sat patiently as they ranted, he would let them wear themselves out before he would address them. Patience was among his many qualifications to hold this rank.

The medicine man sat away from the others while he consulted the bones of his predecessors for guidance in this matter. The yelling began to die down and Chief Puma addressed his braves.

"Has this white man been seen near our dead?"

"No," Angry Horse answered.

"Has anyone even seen this white man?"

"Yes, at night." Yellow wolf responded.

"At night?" Chief Puma questioned.

"Yes, he walks his property."

"Is he alone?"

"He is always alone and he carries no weapons"

Red Owl, the medicine man, rejoined the group and took his place next to the Chief. All grew silent in order to hear him.

" The bones tell me nothing," was his response.

"We will leave this white man alone for now, that's all I have to say," the Chief responded.

It was a dismissal and one by one they headed back to their families. The Chief looked at his long time friend while he lit his pipe and puffed on it a few times.

"The bones tell you nothing?" Puma questioned as he passed the pipe.

"Nothing," Red Owl stated as he accepted the pipe.

Sleep would not visit Chief Puma that night ,so he left his wife's side to walk his village. His guards were awake and where they should be. He took this idea from the soldiers' fort because it made sense to him and it would ensure the safety of his people while they slept.

He headed to the grand lodge. Sometimes sitting alone ideas came to him, he always believed that it was the spirits of his ancestors speaking to him. As he turned to enter the lodge we checked behind him as he always did and was surprised to find a white man standing less than a foot away.

Then again, much to his surprise, the white man addressed him in the language of his people.

"Can I have a moment of your time?" the white man respectfully asked.

"Please enter."

The white man sat opposite him with the fire between them . The Chief noted that he was dressed all in black, but not like the ranchers, but elegantly like the white men he met that spoke for the Great White Father. A pipe was lit and passed back and forth for a bit until the Chief spoke.

"I did not hear you move."

"No one can."

"How is it you speak the language of my people?"

"I speak the language of many peoples."

"You choose to live far away from the town and the protection of the soldiers' fort."

"I need no protection and I dislike many of the townspeople"

"But you are white? Are you not one of them?"

"I may be white, but I am not one of them."

"Your presence at the old ranch has caused many concerns."

"Because it is so close to your burial grounds?"

"Yes, the spirits of the dead are there and it is bad medicine for those that go there uninvited."

"The spirits of your dead will not bother me, nor I them. In my ancient home across the great water there is a place like that on my grounds and it is my task to tend it."

"Some of my braves want you gone and wish to end your life."

" If they try they will die and I would take no pleasure in killing them. That is not a brag, but the truth."

Chief Puma believed the words of this white man, but gave no outward expression.

"May I visit you tomorrow?" the white man questioned.

"I will look forward to it."

"As will I."

"Would you be offended if the medicine man joined us?"

"Not in the least."

The white man then rose and bid him a good sleep and stepped out the door of the lodge. By the time Chief Puma stood and stepped out the door, the man was gone. He heard no footsteps and this guards gave no indication of seeing or hearing anything.

This was a mystery. A white man that spoke their language and had respect and manners. He would look forward to his return tomorrow.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments