Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 52

4
4 Comments 4
1.1k Views 1.1k
955 words 955 words
Holly kept her wedding gown hidden from Carpenter. She explained to him that she wanted it to be a surprise for him and Carpenter could only smile. He had not been with a woman that he loved this much in quite some time.

Each night when he returned to the ranch, he would tell her what he had learned and she hung on every word and asked questions.

Then one evening he posed the question of their traveling abroad.

"I would like to show you all around England, France and my parents castle," he told her.

"Is it still standing after all these years?"

"It is and I own it.I set up a trust fund to ensure it would not fall into ruin," he responded.

"Isn't traveling a little risky and difficult?" she asked.

"Then, but not now. The train can take us to the West and he can catch a ship for anywhere in Europe," he responded.

"What about the problems of daylight and feeding?" she asked.

"We can carry a large supply of cows blood that will sustain us for the duration of the passage and we can hide in our custom-made trunks during the day."

"Won't our not being seen during the day cause questions?" Holly asked.

"The wealthy are often eccentric and it will be overlooked."

"I will go anywhere in the world, as long as you are at my side," Holly responded and embraced him.

After sunset, Carpenter headed to the cave and made his way to his resting place and took a seat on the bear skin rug on the floor. Then, using the techniques the Monk had shown him, placed himself in a trance and sent his mind racing back in time.

It worked and he saw himself headed back to the castle after his meeting with the Captain. As he neared the wall, he encountered one of the Elise, one of the ladies-in-waiting that wanted to become a guard. They laughed at her wanting to join as entrance was forbidden to females. So she decided to prove her worth by searching for the undead Prince on her own.

She jumped from her horse and drew her sword and screamed, "He's here, I found him."

He knocked the sword from her grip and she only screamed louder. Soon the air was filled with the sound of many men heading his way. He grabbed her in an attempt to silence her screams, she kicked, bit and punched the Prince.

Soon, the lights from the torches they carried were visible and panic set in his heart. Then came the familiar pain in his gums as his fangs descended and he buried them in her neck. She stopped struggling and became silent. He dropped her on the ground and ran toward the castle wall as fast as possible, as he had to reach the secret entrance before he was visible.

Once inside, he found himself weeping at his attack on Elise, she had given him no choice. The secret entrance had to be protected and his hiding place kept a secret. The attack on Elise was reported to the king and he ordered the patrols along the wall be doubled.

King Thom's army had retreated and he felt safe and secure in his castle. Two nights later, he was shook awake. When he saw it was his enemy, he attempted to yell for his guards but a cloth was placed across his mouth and a burlap sack was placed over his head.

The Prince carried the King to the cave where he had burned Felsar's body. He then removed the hood and gag and the King gasped for air.

"Do you intend on killing me?" the King asked.

"No.Then the truth would die with you," Carpenter responded.

"It will die with me anyway, as I will never reveal it to anyone," he responded.

"King Thom knows the truth."

"He has only the word of a runaway prisoner."

"I know the truth."

"The people will believe whatever their King says and not the words of an unholy monster."

Carpenter smiled and moved away from where the King was sitting and moved a large boulder.Suddenly the darkness of the cave was lit by a dozen torches and King Thom accompanied by a dozen others stepped from their hiding place in a small room behind the boulder.

The mad King saw his advisors, ladies-in-waiting and some of the wealthy land owners enter the main room. All stared at him angrily.

"You were in such a hurry to destroy this man that you murdered my daughter," King Throm intoned.

"He is a monster," the King shrieked.

"You are the only monster here. You also killed the wizard Felsar when he would not tell you where the Prince was hidden," Mirchaud the prime minister responded.

The King had been working at his bonds and soon his hands were free. He jumped to his feet and drew his dagger and glowered at those assembled.

"So now you know the truth. But I will not be tried and executed like a common criminal," he hissed in a voice that was tinged with madness.

Before anyone could move, he plunged his dagger into his own chest and collapsed to the floor.

"May your soul rot in Hell for your deeds," King Thom said.

"Bury him in the woods, as he will not be allowed to lie in hallowed ground," the Bishop replied.

The former Captain of the guards begged his new King for permission to remain behind a few days and assist with the transference of leadership, and King Thom gave his permission. They then turned to speak Carpenter, but he was no longer among them.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments