Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 53

3
3 Comments 3
918 Views 918
948 words 948 words
A story was contrived by those that witnessed his suicide that the King had died in his sleep. None of the townsfolk or any of castle inhabitants questioned the story. Michaud, the Prime Minister was named King with the blessing of the church and in less than two months he had healed all the wounds caused by the infamous predecessor.

Carpenter saw that he stayed hidden within the secret chambers during the day and did whatever he could to assist this new King. There were rumors that the King was often visited by the former undead Prince to advised him on matters he was unaware of.

Michaud and King Thom remained friends from the day he took the throne. It was during a visit to his kingdom that King Thom introduced Michaud to his sister. They were attracted to each other from the first meeting and were married a short time later. They ruled wisely and both Kingdoms enjoyed peace and prosperity.

One of Michaud's first acts as King was a drafted a document advising all that the true owner of this castle and the surrounding lands was the person that presented this document to the proper authorities. The parchment was stored in a locked chest in the treasure room, only the King and Carpenter had the key to the lock and knew what chest it was in.

The King would pass the key to his successor along with instructions that they must continue the practice as long as the castle stood. Carpenter became an unofficial member of the castle guards. Whenever small groups of invaders attempted to breach the castle, it was Carpenter that they encountered. After he had dispatched them he would relieve them of whatever gold or jewels they carried and split the loot with the King.

He stashed his portion of these gains in his secret chamber, and it grew. Vampire hunters soon began to appear across the countryside and some made it to the castle. They heard tales of the undead Prince still walking the halls and volunteered to hunt him down. They were ignored and ordered to leave or they would be fired upon.

Elsie, the lady that Carpenter was forced to bite had became a trusted friend and ally. She was allowed into his hidden chamber after she had been blindfolded and assisted him in procuring new clothes, maps and books for him. He rewarded her with money and lessons in the use of weapons as well as hand-to-hand combat. She soon became a match for any man.

One day he gave her a king's ransom and asked her to order a coach built for him. She complied with his request but questioned him about it the next time they were together. He bade her sit and poured her a tankard of ale, he then sat opposite her.

"I think it's time I leave these walls," he said.

"Why?"

"There is so much of the world that I have not seen. Our lands are beautiful, but I wish to see cities, London is only a day's ride from here."

"What about your problem with the Sunlight?" she questioned.

"That is my next question. Would you like to accompany me?"

"Me? Why?"

"As you said, I cannot drive during the day, but you can. When night falls, you can sleep, and I can keep driving," he responded.

"How will you survive the daylight hours?"

"I have altered some crates with a locking device inside so they cannot be opened and I will fit the coach's interior with a heavy cloth to keep the Sunlight from penetrating."

"Now you're a coach builder and carpenter?" she questioned.

"I have learned many things from these books," he answered as he gestured to the massive library the wizard had amassed.

Elise didn't have an answer, so Carpenter heard himself continue.

"If you go with me I will make you wealthy beyond your imagination. You have an adventurous spirit and I am sure you long for more exciting surroundings."

"You are quite right. We will leave as soon as I advise the King, I am a member of his court after all."

"So be it."

The following evening Elise begged for a private audience with the King and Queen in their chambers. They granted her request and sent the guards away. They met Elise at the door and as she bowed Carpenter used the distraction to slip into the room unseen. He also bowed to them when they turned around.

"Rise my friend. you never need to bow in our presence," the King stated.

The King and Queen moved forward and embraced their friend and then asked them both to sit. Elise begged permission to accompany the Prince on his journey. The royal couple were sad to hear of his departure, but understood his need. Elise would make the perfect traveling companion so they granted her permission to leave.

The King ordered the royal scribe to his door and ordered him to pen a document to state that Elise was a royal emissary from his kingdom traveling to the East. She should be accorded any and all privileges to someone of her station.

One month later a message was sent that the ordered coach was ready. Carpenter stole into town and made the final adjustments to the interior. Two days afterward with the coach packed Carpenter disabled all the entrances to the secret chamber except one. That was the one that allowed him to enter from the outside and as it was the most difficult to locate he felt his secret place would be safe.

Just as evening fell they left the castle en route to London..

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments