Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White man Part 13

3
2 Comments 2
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.1k words 1.1k words
Holly waited until the hotel grew quiet and all those that responded to the yelling and gunfire had departed. She concentrated and expanded her hearing. She soon heard the piano player start up again and the drone of voices as the card games and general conversation resumed.

It was about 3:00 AM when she judged that it was safe to leave. As the desk clerk was asleep in the little room behind the front desk and she didn't bother to wake him and left her key and the cost for the room on the counter top and walked out the front door to mount her horse and return to the ranch.

Carpenter had just returned from another journey into the mine. They were bags of gold on the table and his dirty clothes were on the floor. He had just entered his bath when she came inside.

"How did it go?" he inquired.

"As you predicted," she responded.

"We will soon need to make another trip to the territorial capital to deposit this and get some paper money and it will be a dammed difficult as you were the perfect contact. Now we must seek the services of another mortal."

"If you'd have let me die you would still be in the same predicament."

"That is true."

She returned to the book she had been reading from. Carpenter finished his bath, dried off and redressed.

"Is it true that we can never walk in the Sunlight again?" she questioned.

"Yes, the direct rays of the Sun will kill us. I did tell you that on the night of your rebirth."

"Yes you did, Is there no exception?"

"If the day is overcast we can risk it as long as we take the proper precautions. We must wear long coats and gloves made of leather and carry the largest umbrella we can find. Even then we might attract attention.While at night under the Moonlight we appear pale, but in the light of day we look chalk white. Coming in contact with the Sun's rays will burn us and prolonged exposure can destroy us.

The sheriff came out to the ranch the following night just after supper and spoke to Holly about the incident at the hotel. She apologized for not being much help and added that she must have drank more that she should have. The sheriff seemed happy with her responses and after accepting a glass of wine he departed.

It was about two weeks later that the stage arrived and among its passengers was a well dressed older gentleman that went directly to the sheriffs office. He was a licensed private investigator and according to his credentials and his letters of reference he had worked for many important people. He called himself Doctor Vincent.

"So what can I do for you?" the sheriff asked.

"I travel from town to town investigating stories of strange and unexplained deaths."

"There much call for that?"

"You would be surprised."

"Well we did have one but that was a few weeks ago."

"Please tell me about it."

The sheriff told the story of how the Carlton brothers had been found and they all assumed that the brothers had been fighting over a girl and killed each other in the process. The girl was never found and was probably too scared to come forward.

"No one saw anything?" the Doctor asked.

"Nope."

"Where are the bodies now?"

"We buried them of course."

"They must be dug up so I can examine them."

"That ain't gonna happen, not without permission from a long list of people."

"Then I will get that permission," he said as he bid the sheriff good evening.

It took about two more weeks and numerous telegrams from the governor's to the mayor, sheriff and the town priest before Doctor Vincent was granted permission to exhume the bodies and have them transported to the mortuary for examination. The undertaker would have no hand in assisting him.

"They be dead and should be allowed to rest in peace," he said as he was leaving.

"The problem is not all the dead rest in peace," Doctor Vincent responded under his breath.

Two days later he joined the sheriff for drinks and he told him about the prostitute and her accomplice that had been robbing and beating would be customers in the territorial capital. Their deaths were similar to the ones here, lots of blood but no witnesses and no evidence of the killer.

The Doctor then questioned the sheriff about newcomers to the town.

"There have been quite a few. The news that the railroad is gonna be coming through here by Winter has people staying put and setting up businesses," he responded.

"No, I mean newcomers that act a little strange."

The sheriff sat and thought for a moment before he spoke again.

"Ya know that Mr Carpenter is a little on the strange side," he responded.

"How do ya mean?"

"He buys a ranch unseen that boarders the Indian burial grounds and thinks nothing of it."

"That all?"

"No, he never comes to town during the day and hires a saloon girl to run his place."

"Interesting. Any other unexplained attacks since he arrived?"

"No, and if in I was you I wouldn't go bothering my residents that ain't suspect of any crime. He's a good law abiding citizen that keeps to himself."

The next day Doctor Vincent rode out to the Carpenter ranch and his arrival was met by the ramrod just as he passed through the front gate.

"Something I can help you with, stranger?" Marcus asked.

"I would like to see the owner."

"He won't be back until after sundown."

"Is his assistant around?"

"No, Miss Holly is traveling with him."

"Then I will come back this evening," he responded as he tipped his hat and turned his buggy around.

It was well after supper when the Doctor returned to the ranch and knocked on the door. Carpenter opened it and admitted him. After showing Carpenter his credentials he began to ask questions. Carpenter's senses went on alert as there was something about this male he distrusted.

The man reached for a handkerchief and in doing so grabbed the chain of the crucifix he carried and they were both extracted at the same time. It dangled in front of him and Carpenter only stared at it. The Doctor noted his reaction or rather the lack of it. He finished his drink and his questions and bid good night.

Holly came in from outside and found Carpenter dressing to leave.

"What happened?," she asked.

"An ancestor of an ancient enemy is here in town and must be dealt with," he answered as he finished dressing.

"Danger?" she asked.

"We shall see," he responded before disappearing into the darkness.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments